The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I love the pop Tyler O'Neill is showing, but man he literally offers nothing else at the plate. He has 2 walks to 30 K's (ouch) and 7 of his 10 XBH have been the HR's...

He literally doesn't get on base other than circling the bases...

Sounds like baseball in general, anymore.  Not that everybody's numbers are that extreme, but many players' numbers are skewing that direction.  But I agree with you...the overall production is nice right now, but there's a level of frustration with the numbers, too.

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I love the pop Tyler O'Neill is showing, but man he literally offers nothing else at the plate. He has 2 walks to 30 K's (ouch) and 7 of his 10 XBH have been the HR's...

Plus, he plays defense at a high level. Not a bad guy to have. Dingers and good defense. DeJong is sort of like that except he draws an extremely high rate of walks in addition to the good defense and dingers. 

13 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Plus, he plays defense at a high level. Not a bad guy to have. Dingers and good defense. DeJong is sort of like that except he draws an extremely high rate of walks in addition to the good defense and dingers. 

DeJong is exactly what I mean. You can live with his high strikeout rate because he gets on base/takes walks (although he's been lagging this year so far). You have to be able to get on-base if you're not going to hit for average, or have XBH outside of the HR's. Especially since TOR strikes out at such a high clip.

He's got to improve on this if he wants to be viewed as an everyday LF option and a 5-6 hole hitter vs. just a 4th OF.   

Edited by kgarrett12486

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

That's literally been his skillset since as soon as we acquired him.  He either hits the ball a LONG way or he whiffs.

On 5/13/2021 at 10:57 AM, CWood21 said:

That's literally been his skillset since as soon as we acquired him.  He either hits the ball a LONG way or he whiffs.

Right, but there was hope that as he developed his batting eye, he would draw walks as well. 

That hasn't happened and you could argue he's regressed here. It sucks too because as we've seen, he's one of the faster guys in the MLB on the base paths. 

Edited by kgarrett12486

On 5/15/2021 at 3:28 PM, ttitansfan4life said:

This disgusts me 

I wish he could have came back home, but honestly I don't waste much orgone on Pujols anymore. He probably chose the Dodgers because he won't have to move. We didn't really have a spot for him realistically either. 

On 5/15/2021 at 3:28 PM, ttitansfan4life said:

This disgusts me 

I never expected him to end up here.  I just don't see the fit at this stage.  I am surprised he ended up with an NL team, though.  Thought for sure he'd sign with an AL team with the DH as an option.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?