The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

I really don't think this signing takes us out of the SP market. He just doesn't eliminate our need for IPs. It may take us out of the Scherzer/Stroman range, but we could see another mid range guy like Jon Gray.

I think they could look to throw as many options at the rotation as they could after last year's issues with injury. 

10 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Looks like we signed Steven Matz to a 4 year deal worth $44 million. With a chance to make $48 million. 

Not a bad signing, I think he’ll do decent here. 

I like having a Lefty in the Rotation. The $11m AAV is fine, not prohibitive in any way, even with a 4th year on the deal. But he doesnt really make the rotation all that much scarier to me, just lengthens it

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I really don't think this signing takes us out of the SP market. He just doesn't eliminate our need for IPs. It may take us out of the Scherzer/Stroman range, but we could see another mid range guy like Jon Gray.

Ive heard speculation that they are just expecting to use 6/7 guys in the rotation this year, that there will be absences (even semi planned stretches) for guys like Hudson, Waino, now Matz and Mikolas. There is a theory that we are still going to see early fatigue from the Covid Year from players who arent your established top end veterans.

Who knows, but it would be an interesting approach, and a bit outside the box.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ive heard speculation that they are just expecting to use 6/7 guys in the rotation this year, that there will be absences (even semi planned stretches) for guys like Hudson, Waino, now Matz and Mikolas. There is a theory that we are still going to see early fatigue from the Covid Year from players who arent your established top end veterans.

Who knows, but it would be an interesting approach, and a bit outside the box.

But if you're planning on using more than your 5 projected SPs, you're probably relying on guys with options left.  Not someone you're handing out money.  Just following the bread crumbs, you're not going to take Jack Flaherty, Adam Wainwright, Miles Mikolas, and now Steven Matz in the rotation barring injury.  Right now, you've got Dakota Hudson as SP5, but he's anything but penciled in there.  You've got Matt Liberatore pushing the big league club, but again probably doesn't get there until he clears Super 2 level.

18 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’m seeing internet people talking about moving Edman to SS. I question that fit. Has anyone seen anything about that?

I highly doubt that would happen. Edman's defense at 2B is GG caliber, so why move him? Sure, he can fill-in at SS and be serviceable, but you're not getting the same level of defense. Plus, his bat doesn't warrant the move. 

Not like we're hurting for defense at SS with Sosa there. I guess the argument is that you're trying to get Gorman in at 2B, but reality is we're likely going to have the DH now whenever baseball resumes and Gorman's threat has always been his bat, so he could slot in there and fill in at 2B as you wish given Edman has the versatility to play 2B, SS and OF.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Robert Murray of FanSided reports that reliever Luis Garcia is in serious talks with the Padres. 

Damn, that would be a disappointment to loose him after what we saw once we acquired him. He was great. 

Dont need to be over paying relivers though, thats how we keep getting ourselves into trouble.

And we found a bunch on the street last year, cant count on a whole bullpen of that, but they can obviously be found

17 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Dont need to be over paying relivers though, thats how we keep getting ourselves into trouble.

And we found a bunch on the street last year, cant count on a whole bullpen of that, but they can obviously be found

Agreed, but I can't imagine he'd command that much being that he's 35 and still had not great splits against RHH even with his found success with us. 

I wouldn't go over 1 yr/5-7 million. 

I heard yesterday that we're interested in Collin McHugh. He pitched as the 'opener' a lot for Tampa last year and had a really good season. A guy we view that could fill-in as a spot start if needed, but also give you multiple innings out of the BP. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?