The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Katie Woo of The Athletic reports that the Cardinals have had "increased conversations" with free agent first baseman Albert Pujols.

Woo adds that there is growing interest between the two sides in reuniting for the 2022 season. 

I wasn’t for this at first but why not, Albert and Dickerson could make for a nice platoon as our DH. I still think some of the guys in the minors could put up better numbers this year. 

5 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

So is this where is get to do my “I told you so”?

Pujols was always going to be on this roster. It’s just a shame our pitching is falling apart in spring training, and after all the real options for help we’re already signed 

100%. You definitely called it.

I know this isn't a needle moving transaction, but still pretty cool to see arguably the greatest Cardinals any of us will ever see come home to finish out his career along with the other Cardinals legends in Yadi and Waino. Definitely gonna sell some nostalgia tickets. 

Pujols may turn into more of a defacto coach by end of the season, than a regular AB. 

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I know this isn't a needle moving transaction, but still pretty cool to see arguably the greatest Cardinals any of us will ever see come home to finish out his career along with the other Cardinals legends in Yadi and Waino. Definitely gonna sell some nostalgia tickets. 

Yep, it’s really cool. You add in the business side of this, and it was a no brainer. And the cherry on top really is how close Yadi and Albert are. Made it obvious to me that Molina would also be pushing for this. 

Pujols may turn into more of a defacto coach by end of the season, than a regular AB. 

I mean he was a legitimate Major League level hitter on the Dodgers last year. If we stick to that formula (DH vs Lefties and just your Righty bench bat each night) he should be able to be productive for us. 

And if he completely drops off, I’m sure there has been a “injury” plan discussed to keep him around but not embarrass him

6 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

So is this where is get to do my “I told you so”?

Pujols was always going to be on this roster. It’s just a shame our pitching is falling apart in spring training, and after all the real options for help we’re already signed 

I told You so? I’m pretty sure everyone and their grandma knew this was probably going to happen. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That pretty much what it boils down to.  He's going to put people in their seats.

Definitely agree the main perk for the Cardinals is the draw they're going to get from a farewell reunion tour with Pujols, Yadi and Waino. I mean, I don't remember another time in all my years of watching sports where you had 3 legends all reunite on their original team and all looking to hang it up at the end of the season.

Just seeing the reaction Pujols got when he walked into Roger Dean stadium (didn't even play, just walked through in uniform lol) from the crowd was hair raising.

With that said, I still see value in the signing on the field. Pujols absolutely destroyed LHP last year (over .900 OPS) and still has more late-inning pop threat. The name on the back of the jersey still has effect.

I really like what we've done in adding Dickerson and Pujols to platoon for the DH spot. I think the FO learned a bit oif a lesson last year, as they chose not to go after some of the veteran bench bats and got burned with it, especially early on last year when we had to rely on guys like Austin Dean...

Now we have the vets in place to start the year and if they falter, or injuries occur, you can pivot to guys like Yepez, Donovan, Nootbar or even Gorman eventually. And if for some reason none of those guys are ready, or take the role, you've bought yourself enough time to go get a bat at by the deadline. Good problem to have. 

Edited by kgarrett12486
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I told You so? I’m pretty sure everyone and their grandma knew this was probably going to happen. 

Revisionist history must be so nice to live with. 

Plenty of people in this forum we’re so against it. Not wanting him here. And outside of here there was alot of people playing the “he can’t help us win, why would we bring him back”

But sure, “everyone” knew

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Revisionist history must be so nice to live with. 

Plenty of people in this forum we’re so against it. Not wanting him here. And outside of here there was alot of people playing the “he can’t help us win, why would we bring him back”

But sure, “everyone” knew

There’s a difference between not wanting him here and expecting him here. I was Against it for the longest time. Doesn’t mean I didnt Expect it to happen. Everyone I’ve talked to that knows cardinal baseball has been talking about a reunion with Albert for months now. 

But sure, ride with the thought that you were the one and only person who knew this was going to happen and continue on your “I told you so” parade. 

Edited by holt_bruce81

I think the lineup and defense will be fine but this isn’t winning the division with this rotation especially with Flaherty out for likely an extended period of time and Mikolas who is a walking injury. Do we really expect Steven Matz and a 40 year old Waino to lead this team to a division title? They’re going to have to do something with the rotation(they won’t) before the deadline. 

As far as Albert, I mean I’m pretty sure a lot of people knew his only option was STL. Dewitt wants to sell tickets while not going overboard with spending and that trio reunion will sell tickets no matter what. 

Edited by ttitansfan4life

4 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I think the lineup and defense will be fine but this isn’t winning the division with this rotation especially with Flaherty out for likely an extended period of time and Mikolas who is a walking injury. Do we really expect Steven Matz and a 40 year old Waino to lead this team to a division title? They’re going to have to do something with the rotation(they won’t) before the deadline.  

Honestly, this is the least competitive I can remember the NL central being heading into the year that I can remember over the recent past. The Cubs are taking a 1 year hiatus, the Reds just sold off everyone and the Pirates are the Pirates. The only threat is the Brewers and while they're SP pitching is right up there with anyone in the league, I think they're due for a bit of regression from what their big 3 posted last year. Plus, they're line-up has some holes.

It's definitely going to be unconventional in terms of our rotation this year. We're all used to having the set 5-6 guys in the rotation take the ball every turn around, but with the guys coming off injury/youth pitchers we have with innings limits, I think you're going to see a lot more 3-6 IP starts from a group of 6-10 guys (Waino, Matz, Mikolas, Hudson, Brooks, VerHagen, Whittgren, Woodford, Oviedo, Flaherty) to start.

I still don't think we're out on adding a SP if needed. I know rumors are we're still monitoring Sean Manea market recently.

Honestly, this is the least competitive I can remember the NL central being heading into the year that I can remember over the recent past. The Cubs are taking a 1 year hiatus, the Reds just sold off everyone and the Pirates are the Pirates. The only threat is the Brewers and while they're SP pitching is right up there with anyone in the league, I think they're due for a bit of regression from what their big 3 posted last year. Plus, they're line-up has some holes.

It's definitely going to be unconventional in terms of our rotation this year. We're all used to having the set 5-6 guys in the rotation take the ball every turn around, but with the guys coming off injury/youth pitchers we have with innings limits, I think you're going to see a lot more 3-6 IP starts from a group of 6-10 guys (Waino, Matz, Mikolas, Hudson, Brooks, VerHagen, Whittgren, Woodford, Oviedo, Flaherty) to start.

I still don't think we're out on adding a SP if needed. I know rumors are we're still monitoring Sean Manea market recently.

Oh absolutely think division sucks now. We should definitely have a winning record against every team except maybe the Brewers. I don’t fear them especially with their lineup, it’s just their rotation and bullpen is a hell of a lot better than ours. We can do a 6-10 man rotation until July but eventually the bullpen is wear out again. I just don’t expect much from Flaherty this year if he even plays. 1 month turns into 3 months and then the whole season with this these doctors and training staff. As far Reyes, not expecting anything from him.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?