The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

25 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Good news on two fronts:

-Fernandez was another guy that had done everything necessary for a promotion. Glad to see him here.

-We got to keep Mayers.

I agree with both aspects. Fernandez is a must. Mayers, for all the crap he gets, did actually look pretty good in spurts out of the pen. I think he still has a future.

12 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

How about putting some blame on the actual players affecting the outcome of games?

That's the reason we're loosing... 

Who brought those players in though? There’s a reason why this team has been inconsistent pretty much since pretty the past 4 seasons. He thought the outfield was too crowded sign Harper. He’s done nothing with the rotation except bring a bum back into it(Wacha) which ended up being a failure(shocker).  He’s given out bad contracts(Carp). This team can’t compete with the great teams anymore and that’s starts at the top with Mo and his little lackey Girsch. It’s clear as day the Cardinals kept the wrong guy in Mo.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

2 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Who brought those players in though? There’s a reason why this team has been inconsistent pretty much since pretty the past 4 seasons. He thought the outfield was too crowded sign Harper. He’s done nothing with the rotation except bring a bum back into it(Wacha) which ended up being a failure(shocker).  He’s given out bad contracts(Carp). This team can’t compete with the great teams anymore and that’s starts at the top with Mo and his little lackey Girsch. It’s clear as day the Cardinals kept the wrong guy in Mo.

More than half this roster is homegrown, so not sure how that's a fault. Mo and the front office have made some bad moves in hindsight (the Fowler contract, the Carp extension, the Pham deal just to name a few)  There have also been some really good moves (Goldy trade, Molina extension, Gallegos deal). You take the good with the bad and overall there's been more good than bad. 

We all wanted Harper, but in hindsight I think we're better off without him. You wanna reference bad deals? His would be up there amongst the worst. He's been a 1.8 WAR player this year. Yikes...

You keep referencing that Mo did nothing to add to the rotation at deadline, but once again was that his fault? I think if you look at it objectively, it was dictated by the market. Who would you have wanted that got moved? Greinke was really the only one of value and we weren't going to outbid Houston with their farm system...

We're all frustrated with the way the last 3 years have gone and Mo and company definitely have a big part in it. But let's not act like this is squarely on him. He's brought in talent that simply hasn't performed to expectations or their career norms...

As far as the team/front office goes, I think both are to blame. This team was pretty well put together in Spring training. Injuries, under performing and roster management have all contributed to the lack of success by this team. Carlos Martinez not being ready for ST, and then Reyes went down and soon after Gomber was put on the IL for Memphis and poof, that depth everyone was so excited about going into the year was no more. I wouldn't put that on Mo. The team gave Carlos an offseason workout program for him to follow and he failed to do so. Carlos was supposed o be a big part of this rotation this year. 

And then you add the fact that Carp hasn't hit all year, Bader has regressed, Goldie has been inconsistent and Molina hasn't been there to help guide a young staff.....and you have what you have. 

And believe me there's plenty of blame to put on Mo. The roster moves this team has made all throughout the season have me questioning the decisions of the front office a lot more than I ever have in years past. Why the hell has Wacha gotten so many chances in the rotation? Why bring up Genesis Cabrera when they did? Why screw with Helsley and flip him from starter to bullpen back to starter? WHERE THE F IS RANDY GOD DAMN AROZARENA? Why play Jose Martinez over Lane Thomas? Why are we seeing so much Tommy Edman and Munoz? Why'd it take 4 months for them finally to send Bader down? 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?