The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

2 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

If there was a trade with that team at all, I think Samardzija would be the better fit. Might have to add some money to the deal though.

I actually looked at him after I posted this, but he has been pretty decent, not worth the money hes getting, but decent. Plus he only has 1 year left on his deal while Dex has 2. We would not only have to send money, but also probably a decent prospect too.

Let me ask this question...

If the Cardinals sign/trade for a Closer and our rotation for next season looks something like...

1. Miles Mikolas
2. Jack Flaherty
3. Carlos Martinez
4. Adam Wainwright (I'm assuming he comes back? haven't heard any retirement talks)
5. Dakota Hudson/Austin Gomber/Ryan Helsley

Do we feel good about that? or would you like to see them add a starter through free agency?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

If the Cardinals sign/trade for a Closer and our rotation for next season looks something like...

1. Miles Mikolas
2. Jack Flaherty
3. Carlos Martinez
4. Adam Wainwright (I'm assuming he comes back? haven't heard any retirement talks)

Do we feel good about that? or would you like to see them add a starter through free agency?

I don't hate that rotation, but I'd certainly like to go out and sign a marquee Starter to add into that mix. I like all our starters a spot lower in a rotation. 

40 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

1. Miles Mikolas
2. Jack Flaherty
3. Carlos Martinez

I think they need to add a BOR guy to eat innings in that scenario. I don't think Wainwright is brought back...

I think 5th spot is between Hudson/Gomber/Ponce...

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I honestly feel like Flaherty has the stuff to be an Ace, or just sub-ace atleast. And if those top 3 are completely healthy/completely committed I think that is as good of a 1-3 that we can ask for with where we already have money allocated.

Im guessing Waino basically has a roster spot until he doesnt want one at this point. Or he would have to turn into a batting practice machine, although thats what the end of last year looked like, and here we are. So really its up to him

And with what we have seen/experienced this year, i dont thin we should be just assuming one of the young guys (Hudson/Gomber/Helsly as you pointed out) will just get that 5th spot. I think we shouold be looking to get a guy, either sign or trade for, who can atleast be counted on to be solid enough to eat up innings. And then if one of the young guys beats that Vet out in the preseason, amazing, give it to them and then the Vet can be th 6th starter out of the pen. Because with who we do have, Waino could break down, Carlos could go all Carlos on us again, or something else unforeseen could happen. And THEN we might have to force a guy into the rotation, not be forcing a guy out of Spring Training.

Edited by StLunatic88

Im actually starting to wonder if we could, and maybe even should be looking at resigning Marcell Ozuna?

That almost feel blasphemous at this point, but with that report the other day that he would "prefer" to stay with us, got me thinking...

All of these OF prospects have not turned out how we thought, I know we have both Arozarena and Carlson on the cusp, but unfortunately both O'Neill and Bader have been disappointing thi year. As hard as we had to work to find a couple of Middle of the Order bats, it feels weird just letting one walk at this point to take a chance on a bunch of Rookies.

This change on heart took me by surprise as well, But I think re-signing Ozuna and flipping Fowler for something other than an OF would be my Top Priorities this Offseson

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Im actually starting to wonder if we could, and maybe even should be looking at resigning Marcell Ozuna?

That almost feel blasphemous at this point, but with that report the other day that he would "prefer" to stay with us, got me thinking...

All of these OF prospects have not turned out how we thought, I know we have both Arozarena and Carlson on the cusp, but unfortunately both O'Neill and Bader have been disappointing thi year. As hard as we had to work to find a couple of Middle of the Order bats, it feels weird just letting one walk at this point to take a chance on a bunch of Rookies.

This change on heart took me by surprise as well, But I think re-signing Ozuna and flipping Fowler for something other than an OF would be my Top Priorities this Offseson

1st inning... bases loaded... no outs... Ozuna hits into a double play. 

Probably better for me to answer that question in a few days. 

On 8/9/2019 at 1:46 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

1. Miles Mikolas
2. Jack Flaherty
3. Carlos Martinez

The BOR doesn't give me any confidence.

On 8/9/2019 at 3:18 PM, StLunatic88 said:

If we can even get someone to eat Fowler's I'll be surprised.  Spotrac has Ozuna projected at 5 years, $98M.

Man, Griffin Roberts has been absolutely terrible this year. We need to move him to Reliever already. 

High-A stats...

1-6, 6.44 ERA, 11 starts, 57.1 IP, 70 hits, 28 walks, 28 strikeouts 

Remember when the draft "experts" said he was the closest pitcher to being MLB ready in last years draft....yikes. 

Edited by holt_bruce81

14 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Man, Griffin Roberts has been absolutely terrible this year. We need to move him to Reliever already. 

High-A stats...

1-6, 6.44 ERA, 11 starts, 57.1 IP, 70 hits, 28 walks, 28 strikeouts 

Remember when the draft "experts" said he was the closest pitcher to being MLB ready in last years draft....yikes. 

Yah, not sure why we didn't just start him off as a reliever. No one else projected him as a starter...

Think it's time to call it on trying to fit the square peg into round hole...

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?