The STL Cardinals Thread - Is It The Offseason Yet?

CWood21

2 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Donaldson at 3B and Edman in the OF?

I'd love Donaldson at 3B and he'd be an ideal replacement for Ozuna's production from the cleanup spot. Sadly, it won't happen. The Carp extension kills it...

Also, I'm not 100% sold on Tommy Edman being what his numbers showed. Remember, he played 92 games. Essentially 1/2 season. Need to see more of a sample size before I rely on him as a main cog guy...

• Like 1

What’s everyone’s take on Edman’s role next season? Does he have the skill to give Dejong a breather at SS? It really seems like Pauly wore down last season. He played a ton. With a capable backup maybe they could keep him fresher. 

Also, we definitely have a log jam of players(mostly because of the stupid contracts of Fowler and Carp). I’d hate to do it but I think Wong could get shipped out. He’s one of my favorites, and has been his whole career. But we could probably get a really solid haul for him, Edman/Carpenter*pukes* can play 2nd. Maybe if we traded Wong we could also attach Fowler to the trade and still accidentally get a good player or two out of it. 

Meh, it’s probably all for not, no way is Dex waiving that NTC.

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What’s everyone’s take on Edman’s role next season? Does he have the skill to give Dejong a breather at SS? It really seems like Pauly wore down last season. He played a ton. With a capable backup maybe they could keep him fresher. 

Edman is my super utility guy next year. As I said in my previous post on him, he's got a small sample size (92 games) and while he was pretty good, I need to see him continue that before I pencil him in as a full time starter and a significant offensive piece. ..

It's really gonna depend on what happens with the roster we have though...

Ideally to me, Edman is a guy that plays a couple times a week at various spots (3B, 2B, SS and RF). He's more than capable of playing SS in a spot starts, but not a guy you want to rely on there if DeJong went down with injury...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Edman is my super utility guy next year. As I said in my previous post on him, he's got a small sample size (92 games) and while he was pretty good, I need to see him continue that before I pencil him in as a full time starter and a significant offensive piece. ..

It's really gonna depend on what happens with the roster we have though...

Ideally to me, Edman is a guy that plays a couple times a week at various spots (3B, 2B, SS and RF). He's more than capable of playing SS in a spot starts, but not a guy you want to rely on there if DeJong went down with injury...

I'd be ok with that for Edman. Carpenter definitely needs more days off if he's expected to be a starter next season. His shoulder is bad. I really hope he figures out his issues at the plate. He could still be a really valuable player, but he has to hit better than he did last year.

Also, I think we should absolutely look to get rid of Bader. I know the argument is that this is the lowest his value has been but if we trot him out there next season and he craps the bed at the plate again, it can definitely get worse. I'd try to move him now while he still has value period. 

Edited by MOSteelers56

45 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Also, I think we should absolutely look to get rid of Bader. I know the argument is that this is the lowest his value has been but if we trot him out there next season and he craps the bed at the plate again, it can definitely get worse. I'd try to move him now while he still has value period. 

He was nearly a 2 WAR player despite hitting with a 81 wRC+.  Oh, and he's dirt cheap.  There's virtually zero reason to move him.  At the very least, he's a good 5th OFer to have.

On 10/19/2019 at 3:39 PM, CWood21 said:

He was nearly a 2 WAR player despite hitting with a 81 wRC+.  Oh, and he's dirt cheap.  There's virtually zero reason to move him.  At the very least, he's a good 5th OFer to have.

I think he can be traded in a package to get some real talent on the team. I don't want Bader as the 5th OF. We have an entire AAA team full of 5th OFs. We can maybe get someone good for him. I'm tired of holding onto all of our average talents. 

14 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think he can be traded in a package to get some real talent on the team. I don't want Bader as the 5th OF. We have an entire AAA team full of 5th OFs. We can maybe get someone good for him. I'm tired of holding onto all of our average talents. 

In the same post you just said that Bader is only a 5th OF (like all of our other OF prospects) but for some reason some other team would give up some "real talent" for him (even if its part of a package) its very unlikely that both of those things are true

We cant move Fowler because of his contract, we have to find somewhere for Carp to play because of his contract, and we are already pushing the limits of our payroll as it is....... 

We've all seen this play before, and its likely to end with the FO/Ownership looking at this year, saying "Look how great we did! even with an under preforming offense!" and we will just roll basically the same squad back out there.