The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

22 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Goold said today in his chat that the Cardinals have interest in Mike Moustakes. What do you guys think of adding him? 

Assuming it would be to play 3B? If so, I think it would be a solid add. I'd also assume it'd be a shorter term deal 2-3 years...

Moose is an above average defender and a legit 30 HR threat. He'd go a long way in replacing Ozuna's soot. Had an .845 OPS last year and good road numbers too...

Wonder if that would push Carpenter to LF?

7 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd agree there. I don't think Bader can get much individually, that's why we should package him. I agree about O'Neil too. I'd try to put them together if possible. Or move Bader and/or O'Neil with a young pitcher like Hudson. That's a package that could get us someone elite. I'm not sold on Hudson being more than a MOR guy, so I'd trade him now. 

I think you're overselling that package quite a bit.  The best part of that deal is that you're dangling some decent cost-controlled players.  But realistically, what do you think that's going to fetch?  It's not getting an elite piece.

7 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think right now he's got value. If he continues to suck at the plate(which he will), his value diminishes. How many times can I say this? 

I mean, at the very least he's Peter Bourjos.  But he's not going to be nearly as bad as he was this season.  He's also probably not going to hit quite like he did in 2018 either.

6 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Are the Cardinals not going to offer Ozuna a QO in fear that he would actually accept it? 

No.  They'll offer it.  Honestly, I think him accepting the QO would actually be the ideal scenario for the Cardinals.  He'd be their starting LF next year alongside Harrison Bader and whomever they trot out at RT, presumably Dexter Fowler.  And then in a year, they'll move Fowler over to LF and they can insert Dylan Carlson into RF.  Works out surprisingly well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Wonder if we'll have interest in Japanese OF Shogo Akiyama. He's coming across this offseason...

He's older (32) and won't be subject to the posting process, so he's essentially just a FA...

He's got decent pop and can play all 3 OF spots...

More OFs? Maybe if we lose Ozuna, Fowler, and Martinez.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

More OFs? Maybe if we lose Ozuna, Fowler, and Martinez.

We're not loosing Fowler, but Ozuna and Martinez very well could be gone...

Also, we're likely to move some of our young excess OF depth as well for pieces...

Probably wont happen on the Akiyama signing, but just a thought. Seems like a guy that might catch our eye given that he'll be low cost and a FA. We've been looking at the Japanese market more frequently recently...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

We're not loosing Fowler, but Ozuna and Martinez very well could be gone...

Also, we're likely to move some of our young excess OF depth as well for pieces...

Probably wont happen on the Akiyama signing, but just a thought. Seems like a guy that might catch our eye given that he'll be low cost and a FA. We've been looking at the Japanese market more frequently recently...

If we lost Ozuna and Martinez plus some young guys, I'd be ok with the signing. It seems like Japanese signings are always good for teams. They are generally beloved by fans and players. We could use a little more So Taguchi vibes. Plus, I always love dudes with some pop.

On 10/22/2019 at 10:39 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

Wonder if we'll have interest in Japanese OF Shogo Akiyama. He's coming across this offseason...

He's older (32) and won't be subject to the posting process, so he's essentially just a FA...

He's got decent pop and can play all 3 OF spots...

Always like dipping in that market, but if we did I think I'd be more interested in a Pitcher. We already have a ton of competition in the Outfield. 

Ivan herrera was mentioned in an article over at MLB recently....

Ivan Herrera, C (Cardinals No. 6): I had three different looks at Herrera this fall, and in each one the 19-year-old impressed me in a different way. In my first look, back during Week 2, Herrera, who’s the second-youngest player in this year’s league, was a blocking machine, smothering and then pouncing upon everything starter Jordan Johnson threw in the dirt in what was ultimately a suspended game (rain). In the next, the right-handed-hitting teenager showed veteran plate discipline with a tight approach, working walks in three straight trips to plate before finally torching a 107-mph double down the left field line in the ninth.

His batting practice before the Fall Stars Game, meanwhile, was among my favorites. He showed plus pull-side raw power, parking balls well over the fence with ease, and hitting them farther than most other hitters on the field that day. He over-strides with his front side at times, which causes his hips to leak and his barrel to drag, but there’s a lot to like in Herrera’s innate ability to drive through the baseball. It’s a trait that points to a future uptick in game power for a player who already understands the zone and shows feel to hit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Viva El Birdos did a nice breakdown on some of the BOR free agent pitchers we may be interested in...

Wade Miley and Jake Odorizzi are names that continue to make sense...

They also recapped the AFL and our pitchers looked legit. Herrera kept it up too. I know some people aren't as high on our farm as I am, but I'm really excited about a lot of our future players. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

They also recapped the AFL and our pitchers looked legit. Herrera kept it up too. I know some people aren't as high on our farm as I am, but I'm really excited about a lot of our future players. 

I don't think the problem is that we don't like our farm system, it's just that our top prospects this year didn't have a great year sans Dylan Carlson and to a lesser extent Nolan Gorman.  Andrew Knizner was shuttled between Memphis and St. Louis, but his numbers in Memphis were largely pedestrian.  Elehuris Montero had a season to forget this year between injuries and ineffectiveness.  Zack Thompson threw 15 1/3 IP this season, so your opinion of him probably is the same as when he was drafted.  We've been betting on Jhon Torres' tools, but his numbers at Peoria were underwhelming.  Gensis Cabrera is struggling with control both in terms of walks and home runs allowed.

How many of the Cardinals' prospects do you feel made significant jumps forward?  The list isn't very long.  You'd probably say Dylan Carlson, Ivan Herrera, and Mateo Gil.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?