The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

@StLunatic88 was 1/2 on his predictions. Not bad...

Jeff Jones of the Belleville News-Democrat reports that Yadier Molina "may be seeking an extension to his contract."

Jones writes that Molina "would likely be willing to accept a pay cut from his current $20 million-per-year salary in order to complete such a deal." Molina said when he signed his three-year, $60 million extension that he planned to retire once the deal ran out (which will happen after the 2020 season), but he later backtracked off that and now it appears he's interested in playing for multiple more seasons. Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch says that the Cardinals plan to discuss an extension with Molina's agent, Melvin Roman, during spring training.

17 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I really hope we stop handing out these good ole boy/ loyalty extensions...

Honestly, Yadi is lucky that the Fowler and Carpenter have been so bad with their large Contracts, because for $20m that was a significant dip in production from the past few seasons

I appreciate everything Yadi has done for this organization over the years, but I don't really have any interest in signing him to a multi-year deal after the 2020 season. This is just my gut feeling, but I think Yadi would want something more guaranteed, so working out a deal that's very incentive-based like Wainwright's might be a bit of a challenge. 

Not to mention the Cardinals have two up in coming catchers that should be able to meet Yadi's productivity, if not surpass it at around $19 million dollars less after the 2020 season. 1.5 WAR is not that hard to replace. His leadership will be missed however, but hopefully guys like DeJong, Wong and Flaherty take on a bigger leadership role in the upcoming seasons. 

Yadier Molina is just ruining everyone's red-colored dreams of Yadi and Waino riding off into the sunset together. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Yadier Molina is just ruining everyone's red-colored dreams of Yadi and Waino riding off into the sunset together. 

I know that is what he is saying now. But I wonder how he will really feel after another long season, especially if he is hurt for an extended period again, and he is looking at a contract far less than the $20m he will be getting this year

1 minute ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Saw an interesting thought today on a potential LF option - Steven Souza. He's coming off a lost 2019 due to knee injury and could be non tendered by Dbacks...

I'd take a flier on him. He's more established/proven than any of our young guys and has legit pop...

Seems like a solid idea, especially if we make some moves regarding our other OF guys. Even if not, competition never hurts. 

So Montero is definitely getting added to the 40 man right? How does a young guy like him already need to be added?

6 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Saw an interesting thought today on a potential LF option - Steven Souza. He's coming off a lost 2019 due to knee injury and could be non tendered by Dbacks...

I'd take a flier on him. He's more established/proven than any of our young guys and has legit pop...

This idea is equivalent to my diarrhea this morning. I expect better from you. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?