The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

18 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Very. There are reports he could command $100 million. I'm not touching that if so. Too many high stress innings on that arm...

I know there are some fans that are clamoring for a higher end type of starter for us(and admittedly, if we got one I'd be ecstatic) but I don't think it's our number one need. I wouldn't mind to sign a FOR starter and try to trade Dakota Hudson as a piece in a package for a good player. I know it would have been easier to trade Hudson 10 years ago, but some team might bite on his look and ERA. I'm not sold on him at all, though. 

I'd be content with an innings eater kind of guy. I still have hope that Carlos regains his rotation spot. Waino will need to be spelled this year a little, I'd say. A top 3 of Jack, Mikolas, and Carlos, with average-ish back end guys is good enough to make a lot of noise this year.

Supposedly we're one of the teams sniffing around on David Price.  Not sure how you're willing to swallow the 3 years, $92M left on his deal unless the Cardinals are unloading a ton of dead salary or the Red Sox are willing to put incentives in there.  David Schneinfeld over at ESPN floated a Nathan Eovaldi/Mookie Betts package for Tommy Edman, Randy Arozarena, Jose Martinez, and Brett Cecil.  That seems like pure fantasy.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Supposedly we're one of the teams sniffing around on David Price.  Not sure how you're willing to swallow the 3 years, $92M left on his deal unless the Cardinals are unloading a ton of dead salary or the Red Sox are willing to put incentives in there.  David Schneinfeld over at ESPN floated a Nathan Eovaldi/Mookie Betts package for Tommy Edman, Randy Arozarena, Jose Martinez, and Brett Cecil.  That seems like pure fantasy.

Someone floated the idea of Price earlier in the thread, I think. If it gets us out of Fowler's deal, I'd do it. I'd rather have an overpaid starter than an overpaid OF that is blocking a bunch of guys. Plus he's a lefty, so that's something I guess. 

Edited by MOSteelers56

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Yuck.  He's 32 years old, he's averaged less than 110 IP in the last five years, and this is probably his last big payday.  MLBTR has him at 3 years, $54M, Spotrac has him at 4 years, $110M, and FanGraphs has him at 2 years, $32M.  The only one that I'd be okay with is the latter.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?