The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

8 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Still think we need another starter and not someone that’s just an innings eater. Someone actually worth a damn. Not landing Bumgarner was a joke with that contract. Ryu is probably the next best thing right? His injury history concerns me though. Also still need to replace Ozuna if he’s not coming back. Castellanos?

We were never going to get Bumgarner even with an overpayment. He even said it himself. He wanted to be in Arizona, as he has a horse farm there and his wife wanted to be there...

• Like 2

I do like this move for KK, it fits what I think we need on the roster, and him being a Lefty is another Plus.

But the problem is, I think hes going to be "the move" we make this offseason. Honestly dont see us making any other substantial moves. 

Man that unnecessary Carp extension is really killing us

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 11:37 AM, ttitansfan4life said:

Still think we need another starter and not someone that’s just an innings eater. Someone actually worth a damn.

Who is that? Atleast that wont cost an arm and a leg in either Dollars and/or prospects? I just dont see anyone out there 

And honestly, I think we are in pretty decent shape with the rotation. Flaherty, Mikolas, and Hudson are for sure locked in. Waino is likely to to be a starter out of ST, and we should be expecting Calos to be a starter this year (if he is not, thats a whole other conversation) Then you throw in KK as a possible starter, as well as PdL, Helsley, and Gomber to throw into a rotation spot, and even the Dark Horse Lottery Ticket in Reyes, whenever he finally figures it all out.

The only addition Id actually be interested in was that faint rumor of a trade for Price that has Benintendi attached

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I do like this move for KK, it fits what I think we need on the roster, and him being a Lefty is another Plus.

But the problem is, I think hes going to be "the move" we make this offseason. Honestly dont see us making any other substantial moves. 

Man that unnecessary Carp extension is really killing us

I agree on all parts. I think the move we need to be looking at is for a middle of the order bat. 

Unless Carp turns it around in a big way, his extension is a worse move than signing Fowler and giving him a NTC.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Ken Rosenthal mentioned us as a name to watch should the Rockies decide to move Arenado for a retool...

Wouldn’t even want to think what it would take to get him... Plus I’m always weary of Rockies hitters away from Coors although his splits are still pretty good away from Coors.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

11 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Wouldn’t even want to think what it would take to get him... Plus I’m always weary of Rockies hitters away from Coors although his splits are still pretty good away from Coors.

I'd imagine it would start with Carlson. I wonder if it would also include Gorman? I'd be ok with that, one team cannot have two "Nolans."

Would Carlson, Dakota Hudson, and Gorman be enough to get in the door?

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd imagine it would start with Carlson. I wonder if it would also include Gorman? I'd be ok with that, one team cannot have two "Nolans."

Would Carlson, Dakota Hudson, and Gorman be enough to get in the door?

Absolutely, that's a young cost controlled pitcher who has a year of MLB starting experience and had a real good year and was a top 100 prospect. Gorman and Carlson are our top 2 prospects and both top 100 guys...

Honestly, I'd be hesitant to include both Gorman and Carlson. I'd do one, but not both...

I'd do Gorman, Hudson and Reyes. Rockies need MLB ready pitching. They'd get two headliners in the deal and and a wildcard in Reyes who could hit to be a #1 type as well with a change...

11 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

No way I’m parting with Carlson... Gorman eh... Not the biggest Hudson fan but I don’t like making the SP even weaker than it already is.

If it's for a bonafide, cost controlled superstar I'd have no issue parting with one of Gorman or Carlson. You gotta give up key assets to get guys like that and they don't become available that often...

Having Goldschmidt and Arenado in the middle of the lineup would completely change this offense...

The pitching would be weakened bo doubt, but we've always shown ability to find starters both internally and externally. I think it's  the FOs best trait...

17 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

No way I’m parting with Carlson... Gorman eh... Not the biggest Hudson fan but I don’t like making the SP even weaker than it already is.

I mean, yeah definitely I'd like to keep Carlson too. He looks like a stud, but I'd do it to get Arenado. @kgarrett12486 put it well. If the package was Hudson, Gorman, Thompson, and one of the glut of OFs we have, I'd like it a lot more. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?