The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

9 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I don't think it'd be two OF's as the two main pieces. I'm sure they'd want a SP or corner IF prospect back as well...

Regardless, we should be doing just about everything to get him here

1. D. Fowler - RF
  2. P. DeJong - SS
  3. N. Arenado - 3B
  4. P. Goldschmidt - 1B
  5. Y. Molina - C
  6. M. Carpenter
  7. K. Wong 2B
  8. H. Bader CF
  9. Pitcher

Now that is a formidable lineup, I would still be petitioning Wong to get the shot at the Leadoff spot, but Schildt hasnt shown any indication that he will be dropping Fowler down. If Carp turns it around to be an average hitter, then we would be ing really good shape. (man we really need to get the DH in the National League)

Edited by StLunatic88

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Regardless, we should be doing just about everything to get him here

1. D. Fowler - RF
  2. P. DeJong - SS
  3. N. Arenado - 3B
  4. P. Goldschmidt - 1B
  5. Y. Molina - C
  6. M. Carpenter
  7. K. Wong 2B
  8. H. Bader CF
  9. Pitcher

Now that is a formidable lineup, I would still be petitioning Wong to get the shot at the Leadoff spot, but Schildt hasnt shown any indication that he will be dropping Fowler down. If Carp turns it around to be an average hitter, then we would be ing really good shape. (man we really need to get the DH in the National League)

Agreed, we should be exploring this trade, as he's the immense upgrade needed in the #4 hole.

I wonder if we could get Carp to waive his NTC and go to Colorado in the deal, since he would have to move off 3rd and wouldn't have a clear path to playing everyday...

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Agreed, we should be exploring this trade, as he's the immense upgrade needed in the #4 hole.

I guess the real question is, would they add $35m to this payroll for 2020?

They could maneuver the rest of the payroll after 2021 (once Fowler & Carpenter are off the books, coincidentally taking up $35m)

If they say yes to that influx for 2020, does that then clearly close the door on Yadi for 2021?

Or do we add an extra prospect so the Rockies take Carpenter back to relieve our payroll a bit?

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Would you be OK with this deal?

Cardinals get

• Nolan Arenado - 7 years $234m remaining

Rockies get

• Dakota Hudson
  • Dylan Carlson
  • Nolan Gorman
  • Matt Carpenter - 2 years $37m remaining 
  • Brett Cecil - 1 year $7.25m remaining

In my head I said no, then yes, then no again. Part of me says that if we can get him, we need to do it but losing Carlson/Gorman/Hudson seems like a lot. 

• Like 1

Just now, JonStark said:

In my head I said no, then yes, then no again. Part of me says that if we can get him, we need to do it but losing Carlson/Gorman/Hudson seems like a lot. 

Thats where Im at. I KNOW if we have a real shot to get him, we have to do it. But I really like those 3 prospects and would love to see them grow up as Cardinals too.

It does seem like a steep price, but Arenado is an unquestioned Top 10 hitter in the league (probably top 5 to most) so we arent going to get him on the cheep. Which is why I threw the contracts going the other way. That helps lessen the blow a bit, and potentially lets us go get a short contract for the Rotation to replace Hudson

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Arenado has an opt out after this year, doesn’t he?

It's after the 2021 season, so you're correct. He's highly unlikely to exercise it though, as his deal is pretty good for him...

Cardinals would look to use that as leverage in trading less back though as we're taking on his deal and risk of him opting out...

@StLunatic88 I think we're giving up too much in that scenario. I've said it before, I would only give up one of Gorman or Carlson if we're packaging a cost controlled, young and now MLB proven starter like Hudson. 

Plus, I'd rather just eat the Cecil deal with only 1 year left than try to include his salary offset, where Rockies would likely use that as leverage for a better 3rd prospect return...

I think this deal would be fair all around:

Cards get Arenado 

Rockies get either Carlson/Gorman, Dakota Hudson and 3rd piece like Knizer, Montero, Torres(prospect inside our top 10) or they take a flier on a guy like Alex Reyes staying healthy...

• Like 1

Just now, kgarrett12486 said:

It's after the 2021 season, so you're correct. He's highly unlikely to exercise it though, as his deal is pretty good for him...

Cardinals would look to use that as leverage in trading less back though as we're taking on his deal and risk of him opting out...

@StLunatic88 I think we're giving up too much in that scenario. I've said it before, I would only give up one of Gorman or Carlson if we're packaging a cost controlled, young and now MLB proven starter like Hudson. 

Plus, I'd rather just eat the Cecil deal with only 1 year left than try to include his salary offset, where Rockies would likely use that as leverage for a better 3rd prospect return...

I think this deal would be fair all around:

Cards get Arenado 

Rockies get either Carlson/Gorman, Dakota Hudson and 3rd piece like Knizer, Montero, Torres(prospect inside our top 10) or they take a flier on a guy like Alex Reyes staying healthy...

That's what I think too. I don't think we'd need to give up Carlson and Gorman. I just didn't want to say it again and have everyone on here think I'm the optimistic broken record. I think Gorman, Hudson, Bader gets the job done. Two fairly proven, young, MLB guys at premium positions and a top prospect is a major haul. 

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That's what I think too. I don't think we'd need to give up Carlson and Gorman. I just didn't want to say it again and have everyone on here think I'm the optimistic broken record. I think Gorman, Hudson, Bader gets the job done. Two fairly proven, young, MLB guys at premium positions and a top prospect is a major haul. 

Agreed and Bader's defense and range in CF is a big draw for Rockies. They always need this guy for that park...

Could plug in Bader as that 3rd piece instead

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?