The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

4 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Yall know more about prospects than I do? Any info?

Big lefty with power fastball touching at 95 mph and good offspeed pitches. He was arguably Ray's top pitching prospect and was the 2018 #16 overall pick. Most scouting outlets have him as top 30-60 prospect in baseball. I've seen several outlets say he slides in as our #3 prospect right behind Carlson and Gorman...

He's legit. I love this deal. That fact that we pulled him and the catching prospect for Jose coming off a really down year and Randy Arozarena who didn't seem to have a fit is a great deal...

Edited by kgarrett12486

3 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Yall know more about prospects than I do? Any info?

Yep.  He was largely a consensus top 10 prospect going into the 2018 MLB Draft, but he fell a little bit due to signability concerns along with teams looking to save money early.  He was probably their 2nd best pitching prospect behind Brendan McKay.  Fastball sits in the low 90s, but touches 95 MPH with some consistency.   Curveball is his bread and butter, and his true out pitch.  He's been working on his slider a bit.  And his change up is probably his most promising pitching in terms of where it was when he was drafted to where he will be.  ETA is somewhere around 2022.

I heard earlier today on MLB radio that Rangers may have 4 year deal on table for Ozuna, but he's holding out for Cardinals. He wants to be here...

He's willing to wait it out, as thought was Cards may be focusing on a trade before shifting focus to him...

If so, wonder if this was the deal being referenced or if it may be Arenado...

How would you guys feel about getting Arenado for;

• Dakota Hudson
  • Tyler O'Neill
  • Nolan Gorman
  • Genesis Cabrerra (or equivalent prospect)

Also have heard we are trying to send Fowler back to the Rox to offset some $$ if we would make a deal

Edited by StLunatic88

15 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

• Dakota Hudson
  • Tyler O'Neill
  • Nolan Gorman

Also have heard we are trying to send Fowler back to the Rox to offset some $$ if we would make a deal

I'd pull the trigger on that deal in a heartbeat. Gorman wouldn't have a clear path with Arenado and Goldy locked up. We have plenty of OF prospect and SP depth, so dealing Cabrera and O'Neill won't hurt. Biggest loss would be Hudson and it would definitely hurt our rotation, but I feel better about how we find/develop SP than our hitters. Getting a legit defensive and offensive 3B like Arenado would do wonders for this team...

If we could get them to eat Fowler's deal too, that probably frees us up to bring back Ozuna...

I'm salivating at thought of a 3,4,5 in the lineup of Arenado, Goldy and Ozuna...

37 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

• Dakota Hudson
  • Tyler O'Neill
  • Nolan Gorman

Sign me up for that.

I'm alright losing Carlson if that's what it takes, but the rest of the offer wouldn't be near as enticing. 

8 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

If we could get them to eat Fowler's deal too, that probably frees us up to bring back Ozuna...

I dont think there is any world where this is an option.

Arenado is slated to make $35m per year through 2024 (if he doesnt Opt Out) and it drops a bit the last 2 years.

If we could get Dex to wave that NTC and head back to Colorado, it would just be as relief for the incoming Arenado contract. That would still be a net $18.5m increase on the Payroll.

We wouldnt be adding another deal ontop of that (unless we could some how move Carpenter in a separate deal, which is super unlikely as he has a NTC for 2020)

Jeff Passan on local radio today:

- doesn't think the Liebratore trade is a precursor to Arenado deal. Says Cards were enamored with Liebratore since the 2018 draft...

-hinted that Cards now focusing on Marcell Ozuna

- advised Cards and Rox have had active discussions on Arenado, but Rox are not 100% sold on moving him. Plus, they're notorious for slow moving deals. Doesn't think deal will happen before year, but dialogue could remain open into next offseason...

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?