The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

hinted that Cards now focusing on Marcell Ozuna

Now that we've eased the jam of OF a bit, I wouldn't mind looking at Ozuna. I'd rather not sign him to anything above a 3 year deal, though. 

Ozuna - Bader - Fowler

TON - Edman - Thomas

That's not terrible. 

Keep working on moving Fowler's deal. Carlson is in no rush to come up. Maybe next year Carlson will break camp as the starter. 

Edited by MOSteelers56

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Now that we've eased the jam of OF a bit, I wouldn't mind looking at Ozuna. I'd rather not sign him to anything above a 3 year deal, though. 

I've heard multiple baseball insiders saying his market is depleted. I agree, especially given the draft pick attachment to him.

Hell, even Ozuna isn't helping his case out by coming out yesterday and saying he's either going to sign with us or Rangers, but prefers us.

I think a 2-3 year deal is probably where we're at now...

16 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I've heard multiple baseball insiders saying his market is depleted. I agree, especially given the draft pick attachment to him.

Hell, even Ozuna isn't helping his case out by coming out yesterday and saying he's either going to sign with us or Rangers, but prefers us.

I think a 2-3 year deal is probably where we're at now...

It would be fantastic to get him on a 2 year deal. I think I read that the Rangers offered him a 4 year deal but he was waiting on us because he'd rather be in St. Louis. 

8 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

So some guy is reporting that we’ve offered...Carlos Martinez, Dakota Hudson, Tyler O’Neil and Matt Liberatore for Nolan Arenado. 

Are we on board with doing that? Seems like that would kill our pitching. 

Who is reporting that?

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Who is reporting that?

On my phone can’t paste tweet. Bruce Levine reporting....

@MattSpiegel670

Our @MLBBruceLevine just reported the Cardinals trade offer he heard for Nolan Arenado would be newly acquired Matthew Liberatore, Dakota Hudson, Carlos Martinez, and Tyler O'Neill. Good luck topping that offer, anyone.

Jon Heyman saying Red Sox new GM was one if guys who drafted and loved Liebratore while he was in Tampa.

Thinks we may be able to flip him for Mookie Betts.

Sounds like he's just connecting dots, but interesting none the less. It sounds like Liebratore has big interest around teams, so makes me feel even better about the trade and his projection.

10 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

To be fair, he also said nothing is close. This tells me this was probably Rockies framework if the deal and we said no...

When I read that, my first thought was “is Carlos still being difficult in moving back to the rotation behind closed doors?” Because if that were true he would be a lot of wasted money in the Bullpen, and would be the solution to the dollar offset for Arenado’s contract

JP Morosi confirms he's heard similar things from his sources as what Bruce Levine reported...

Says we've had ongoing talks with Rockies on Arenado. Says Hudson would be the centerpiece, but also one of our now big 3 prospects ( Carlson, Gorman, Liebratore) would have to be included too. Didn't mention anything about Carlos...

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

JP Morosi confirms he's heard similar things from his sources as what Bruce Levine reported...

Says we've had ongoing talks with Rockies on Arenado. Says Hudson would be the centerpiece, but also one of our now big 3 prospects ( Carlson, Gorman, Liebratore) would have to be included too. Didn't mention anything about Carlos...

The Levine rumor didn't make sense.  You're moving 2 of your projected SPs in a deal for Arenado just creates more holes.  The SP market is barren, and it wasn't great outside of Gerrit Cole and Stephen Strasburg.  You're fixing one hole by creating another.  And there's another obstacle, the money.  Right now, Arenado is due $234M over the next four years PLUS you have to worry about him opting out.  I can't see the Cardinals forking over the kind of package the Rockies likely want.

Guess I'm the only one that would be all over that offer. I do like Liberatore and Hudson, but I don't think Carlos ever gets back to what he used to be and we'll be fine without O'Neil. 

If we can get him without losing one of Carlson and Gorman, that would be amazing. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?