The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The Levine rumor didn't make sense.  You're moving 2 of your projected SPs in a deal for Arenado just creates more holes.  The SP market is barren, and it wasn't great outside of Gerrit Cole and Stephen Strasburg.  You're fixing one hole by creating another.  And there's another obstacle, the money.  Right now, Arenado is due $234M over the next four years PLUS you have to worry about him opting out.  I can't see the Cardinals forking over the kind of package the Rockies likely want.

Yah, I think they could make the money work. I think the obstacle that is gonna be hard to overcome is the opt out. Like you said, we'd probably want some kind of assurance before we pulled the trigger and I doubt Arenado's camp would do so...

This is assuming he'd even waive his NTC...

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The Levine rumor didn't make sense.  You're moving 2 of your projected SPs in a deal for Arenado just creates more holes

Unless one of those two (the more expensive one) is currently not seen as a Starter by the orginization...

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Plus, the Cardinals are usually really tight-lipped especially with regards to bigger deals.  I mean, it took like 3 hours to figure out who was going to Tampa Bay for Liberatore.

I feel like these leaks are pretty clearly coming from the Rockies side. Because as you have pointed out, sending 3 Major League Starters plus a high end Pitching prospect, seems like a deal heavily tilted to the Rockies. 

Feels more like them throwing out there what they are wanting, and hoping the other Organizations interested feel they have to beat that deal

4 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Yah, I think they could make the money work. I think the obstacle that is gonna be hard to overcome is the opt out. Like you said, we'd probably want some kind of assurance before we pulled the trigger and I doubt Arenado's camp would do so...

This is assuming he'd even waive his NTC...

He'd waive his NTC IMO.  Supposedly, he's a fan of the Cardinals and he's good friends with Paul Goldschmidt.  I'm not sure there's any reason to believe he wouldn't waive his NTC.  The opt-out is the bigger obstacle to overcome.  And the Cardinals have shown a willingness to take on money (see Giancarlo Stanton), so I don't think money is the dealbreaker.  They've got relatively clear books in the future (Goldschmidt, Paul DeJong, and Miles Mikolas are the only guys with guaranteed salaries beyond 2021).  The question is what do the Rockies want?  They probably need some SP, so Dakota Hudson likely goes in a deal.  But beyond that?

19 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Let's all rejoice, as the scum that is Jeff Lunhow finally got some justice...

Suspended for 1 year and fired by Astros...

Chris Correa was actually telling the truth on this guy. That's saying something about your character as a human...

But but but the Cardinals are morons for letting Lunhow go and keeping MO. 

Signed, 

The BFIB

• Like 2

Me too, @CWood21 I feel like this is the same story that has been talked about for the last week. The reporters just keep running it in slightly different ways. 

EDIT - After reading the story, I'm sticking to my guns. Also, if we could get him for Dakota Hudson, Carpenter,  and Andrew Knizner, which kind of implied in the story, I'd jump all over that. I doubt they'd take that offer, though.

Edited by MOSteelers56

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?