The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

I hope we make a move soon. We need to decide whether or not the Arenado trade is going to happen or not, and if not, sign Ozuna or a guy like Castellanos. 

Would you rather bring back Ozuna or sign Castellanos? I'm kind of on the fence. Castellanos is younger but seems to be a little worse in the field. We could snag a draft pick by letting Ozuna sign elsewhere too. I think Marcell would be better next year at the plate, though. I feel like he likes it here too and the team seems to like him too. 

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Would you rather bring back Ozuna or sign Castellanos? I'm kind of on the fence. Castellanos is younger but seems to be a little worse in the field. We could snag a draft pick by letting Ozuna sign elsewhere too. I think Marcell would be better next year at the plate, though. I feel like he likes it here too and the team seems to like him too. 

Honestly, it's about 50/50 for me for all the reasons you listed.

I do like having players that enjoy being here though and there wouldn't be any adjustment time since he's already familiar with the team, so I would slightly lean Ozuna. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Honestly, it's about 50/50 for me for all the reasons you listed.

I do like having players that enjoy being here though and there wouldn't be any adjustment time since he's already familiar with the team, so I would slightly lean Ozuna. 

That's sort of what I think too. This is completely unsupported by data but it really does seem like free agents that go to new cities struggle a little at first. I think Ozuna would just hit the ground running. 

19 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That's sort of what I think too. This is completely unsupported by data but it really does seem like free agents that go to new cities struggle a little at first. I think Ozuna would just hit the ground running. 

I agree. I feel like Ozuna and Goldy both struggled when they first got here (might be remembering it wrong), so I usually tend to favor players who are already familiar with the team if everything else is pretty equal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

The Cardinals don’t seem to have any interest in Castellanos, which is somewhat surprising considering the draft pick isn’t attached to him. 

That was an interesting thought cycle on Twitter.  Let Ozuna walk and collect the draft pick, and sign Castellanos for probably a similar (maybe even slightly smaller) contract as Ozuna.

22 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Jon Heyman reporting that Braves are now re-engaging on Ozuna and Castellanos after loosing out on Donaldson. He said they prefer Ozuna and could drive his market up some...

I feel pretty confident that we already know exactly what it will take to keep Ozuna, and that really isnt going to change. Its just a matter if we want him or not

4 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Goold reporting that Carpenter has told him he will waive his NTC for the right opportunity and will not block a trade if it makes sense for organization as well...

Also, Cards hoping Alex Reyes will be a high leverage RP for us to start the year...

Our pitching could be really fun this year. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?