The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

I've got a dumb question. When talking baseball in real life, how does one go about saying "WAR?" Do you say "wins above replacement" or the letters, "W-A-R" or just like the word, "war." I don't often talk advanced stats with people in real life. The only guy I talk baseball with has a real boomer mentality and looks entirely at counting stats. I was just kind of curious. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I've got a dumb question. When talking baseball in real life, how does one go about saying "WAR?" Do you say "wins above replacement" or the letters, "W-A-R" or just like the word, "war." I don't often talk advanced stats with people in real life. The only guy I talk baseball with has a real boomer mentality and looks entirely at counting stats. I was just kind of curious. 

Ive always just said the word 'war' in casual conversation when talking with friends who know stats. Only time I ever say "Wins Above Replacement" is when having to explain it to people. But I have heard people actually spell our "W-A'R" more and more recently. Feels weird to me, you arent really shortening the phrase enough that way to make it worth the acronym. (yea it cuts in half from 6 to 3 syllables, but why do that when you can take it all the way down to one?)

But Im also one who used to call it 'A-I-M' and not "Aim" so im all over the board here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Really depends on who I'm talking to. If it's a buddy of mine and we've talked baseball forever and I know he knows the analytics, then it's just "WAR." If it's someone that I know I'm going to have to dumb myself down to get on their level, WAR isn't even mentioned. My Dad, My GF, the Pharmacist at my part time job that's like 70 years old. When I talk to them, I know I'm not having in depth baseball conversations with them. Well, I do sometimes with the ole lady, bless her heart. 

When it's a newbie and I'm trying to figure out if they're on my level or if they're on a dummy-down level, I'll throw "Wins-Above-Replacement." out there just to see what kind of reaction I get. 

And I'm not even a huge analytical guy, I can appreciate the stats and I understand the very basics when it comes to that side of the game. 

14 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Facts and lost one of your better hitters.

I'm not to worried. Run prevention was always going to be our key to success in 2020, just like it was our key to success in 2019. And our pitching staff is going to be relatively the same as last year, if not better with the addition of KK. And I don't think anyone can argue that we got better defensively as a team by dropping both Ozuna and Martinez. 

5 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I'm not to worried. Run prevention was always going to be our key to success in 2020, just like it was our key to success in 2019. And our pitching staff is going to be relatively the same as last year, if not better with the addition of KK. And I don't think anyone can argue that we got better defensively as a team by dropping both Ozuna and Martinez. 

But the offense has gotten significantly worse. Relying on Carpenter and Fowler to actually be worth a damn is asking for a miracle. Same with O’Neal who strikes out more than he gets a hit. Outside of Goldy, this lineup is a joke.

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

But the offense has gotten significantly worse. Relying on Carpenter and Fowler to actually be worth a damn is asking for a miracle. Same with O’Neal who strikes out more than he gets a hit. Outside of Goldy, this lineup is a joke.

But when Ozuna got hurt last year we went 18-10 while producing roughly the same amount of offense (4.70 runs per 9) as we did during the entire season. 

I honestly don't understand the Ozuna love these past few days. For the last 2 years the only one who's been consistently backing Ozuna has been @StLunatic88 the rest of us (me included) couldn't wait for him to leave in Free Agency. Lets not act like Ozuna was more than what he was, his production for this team is replaceable. And Jose Martinez' production is going to be easily replaceable. 

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

But when Ozuna got hurt last year we went 18-10 while producing roughly the same amount of offense (4.70 runs per 9) as we did during the entire season. 

I honestly don't understand the Ozuna love these past few days. For the last 2 years the only one who's been consistently backing Ozuna has been @StLunatic88 the rest of us (me included) couldn't wait for him to leave in Free Agency. Lets not act like Ozuna was more than what he was, his production for this team is replaceable. And Jose Martinez' production is going to be easily replaceable. 

I agree with Martinez production being easily replaceable, as his offense fell off a cliff in 2019...

I think you're underselling Ozuna. He was a huge reason this team jumped out to the start they did last year. He was streaky as there was, but he actually had a worse statistical season than what he should've if you look at his swing/contact stats. Yet he still put up 29 Homer's and 80+ RBIs in an injury shortened year...

I've said this many times before, I didn't want him back on a 3+ year deal, as I don't think he'll stay healthy. I think on a 1-2 year deal though, he was a fit...

I don't think you're gonna match the OF production of 2019 with our internal options. A lot of the projection sites agree. Zips has our OF as one of the worst in baseball coming in at #22 with their conservative projections...

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I want to see what TON and Lane Thomas can give us with more consistent at bats. Also, I think Justin Williams might be a sleeper. We could use some pop from the left side.

I agree with you on Thomas. He flashed last year in limited time. Problem is, I'm not convinced Bader is going to rebound at the plate, so we could be seeing a lot of Thomas in CF...

O'Neill has gotten stretches of consistent ABs over last two years due to injuries and has never really done much with the opportunity. Not counting on much changing there. He's starting to look like a 4th OF...

Justin Williams is intriguing, but he needs to make that jump quick...

3 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

giphy.gif

And even I am ok with us moving on from him.

I dont think Ozuna is any better of a player than we got out of him the past 2 years, the last year in Miami was the fluke. Yes he is a good OF Bat with really good Power, but he is so streaky (wich include huge power outages) He just isnt a Franchise Changer. He wasnt worth paying big long term money, and thats clearly what he wanted from us. If he was fine taking the same deal he got from the Brave from us, he would have with the QO. So the idea "why didnt we just match what the Braves gave him" is an unrealistic take. We gave him that option, he passed, he wanted longer term so we offered what he is worth for a long term deal and he didnt like it. He is going to try again next year and likely still be disappointed.

Ive said again and again, the Fowler and Carp contracts are severely hindering this team's ability to do anything, and many want to just pretend that they arent part of the payroll, and we should be able to spend Tens of Millions ontop of those huge contracts. Thats just not reality. Yes, be pissed at Mo for those, but at the same time, this is where the other half of his job comes in, has he collected enough young cheap talent to overcome those bad deals? We wont know until we actually see in on the field this year. 

We all screamed for him to clean up the OF issue and now that he has, but many dont like how he did it. Too bad, this is what we have (unless we pull off the obvious move) and we are going to lean on the Pitching (just like last season) and potentially a more Whitey Ball approach on offense (might be more sustainable than hoping for HRs like last year) to be a productive team. In no way are we barren of talent, so stop acting like we are bottom feeders all of the sudden.

@StLunatic88 who is saying we're bottom feeders? Couple posters (including myself) have said we expect this offense to be the same, or potentially take a step back. I think that's a fair criticism/outlook heading into season. I haven't seen anyone say the expect this team to regress to being even a league average team, let alone a bottom feeder. Not really sure who you're referencing as it's a pretty blanket statement from your post...

Also, completely disagree on Ozuna QO issue. The Cards extended the QO way back before FA began. Everyone (including all of us in here) expected him to get a multi year offer and for him to take it. Now, there were variances in opinion on length/total of the deal, but no one thought the 1 year deal was an option at the time. He was never going to accept a 1 year deal at that time. The Braves could've came to him day 1 of FA and put that deal on table and he would've rejected it. Fast forward a few months and the market evaporated and the Braves pounced on this. Good for them. However, I fully believe and I've heard similar echoes from DGoold that if Cards would've came back to him with that deal, he likely would be here instead as the 1 year placeholder for Carlson...

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?