The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

3 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

PECOTA projections came out today. Has us at #3 in Central and 80 wins...

Somehow the Cardinals "shave" 11 wins and the Reds gain 16 wins to win the NL Central.  I'm not buying that Reds kool-aid.  I think it's going to be a tough mix between the Cardinals, Reds, and Cubs.  Pirates suck, and in the midst of a rebuild again.  Brewers just don't seem to have enough pieces, but they'll be pesky.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Somehow the Cardinals "shave" 11 wins and the Reds gain 16 wins to win the NL Central.  I'm not buying that Reds kool-aid.  I think it's going to be a tough mix between the Cardinals, Reds, and Cubs.  Pirates suck, and in the midst of a rebuild again.  Brewers just don't seem to have enough pieces, but they'll be pesky.

Seems like there are always 3 teams fighting for the Central. 

Also, I agree about the Reds. I think they've improved, but I'd need to see it before I'd believe they'll win the division. 

Edited by MOSteelers56

58 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Seems like there are always 3 teams fighting for the Central. 

Also, I agree about the Reds. I think they've improved, but I'd need to see it before I'd believe they'll win the division. 

The Reds have vastly improved over the last 1.5 years. They have legit rotation, hell of an offense. Biggest weakness is their middle relief...

Honestly, looking at all the rosters as a whole. I think Reds are the favorite on paper...

We'll see how it plays out...

10 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

The Reds have vastly improved over the last 1.5 years. They have legit rotation, hell of an offense. Biggest weakness is their middle relief...

Honestly, looking at all the rosters as a whole. I think Reds are the favorite on paper...

We'll see how it plays out...

Oh I agree. They have gotten a lot better but I still need to see it. They were getting hype before last season too. 

20 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

The Reds have vastly improved over the last 1.5 years.

Yes, from one of the worst teams in the League, sure. But that seems to be what they are being crowned off of. 

They have legit rotation

Yea its solid, but I dont see anyone in that rotation that scares me. Gray was good last year, but even with the ERA he had, Ive never been worried as he takes the mound. They have a group of #2s and #3s, which is very solid, but I think thats all the Rotation is.

hell of an offense

Sure Moose was a very good get, but I dont think Castellanos is all that great, what he put up the second half of last year was the best he will ever do in my eyes. And Vatto is getting an awfully big pass for two straight major declining seasons. If they made these additions to a 2016-16 Joey Votto I would be worried, but with likely a slow start from Suarez due to his rehab, I dont fear this offense either.

Yea I think they are a very solid team, but I dont think they are some juggernaut to be worried about. The Cubs were supposed to be that last year and just never got it going, I was much more worried about that squad

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yes, from one of the worst teams in the League, sure. But that seems to be what they are being crowned off of. 

Yea its solid, but I dont see anyone in that rotation that scares me. Gray was good last year, but even with the ERA he had, Ive never been worried as he takes the mound. They have a group of #2s and #3s, which is very solid, but I think thats all the Rotation is.

Sure Moose was a very good get, but I dont think Castellanos is all that great, what he put up the second half of last year was the best he will ever do in my eyes. And Vatto is getting an awfully big pass for two straight major declining seasons. If they made these additions to a 2016-16 Joey Votto I would be worried, but with likely a slow start from Suarez due to his rehab, I dont fear this offense either.

Yea I think they are a very solid team, but I dont think they are some juggernaut to be worried about. The Cubs were supposed to be that last year and just never got it going, I was much more worried about that squad

They're roster is every bit as good as ours across the board, less the MRP I referenced...

Castillo is evolving into an ace and a definite #1. They've got two really good #2 and #3 options as well...

Like i said, on paper they look like the favorites. But we all know how baseball goes when games get played. Reds will have to earn it...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Speaking of...Would you guys rather see a pitcher or position player get that lost spot on the roster?

Position player to start the year, as there are far more days off early on in schedule. I like having the deep bench for pinch hitting spots...

As we get into the summer months and more runs of games, having the extra pitcher will be needed...

Jeff Albert was flat out asked by STL media yesterday about his knowledge of the Houston cheating scandal. It was not a good look for him lol. He was fumbling all over his answers. Then he finally flat out lied and said he had no knowledge of what was going on, nor was he exposed to it...

Really? You were the assistant hitting coach and this had been going on for sometime. I don't think there is anyway he didn't know to some degree. Now, he was a lower level guy and it would've been best for his career to go against it, but zero chance he didn't get exposed to it...

Gonna have a short leash this year IMO...

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Jeff Albert was flat out asked by STL media yesterday about his knowledge of the Houston cheating scandal. It was not a good look for him lol. He was fumbling all over his answers. Then he finally flat out lied and said he had no knowledge of what was going on, nor was he exposed to it...

Really? You were the assistant hitting coach and this had been going on for sometime. I don't think there is anyway he didn't know to some degree. Now, he was a lower level guy and it would've been best for his career to go against it, but zero chance he didn't get exposed to it...

Gonna have a short leash this year IMO...

I see it as the complete opposite honestly. It's going to take a lot for Mozeliak to fire Jeff Albert. He was picked by the front office to reinvent the organizations hitting philosophy. They're creating his analytical-based approach all through the system and getting rid of the old school way of thinking (Firing of Budaska). 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?