The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

8 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I see it as the complete opposite honestly. It's going to take a lot for Mozeliak to fire Jeff Albert. He was picked by the front office to reinvent the organizations hitting philosophy. They're creating his analytical-based approach all through the system and getting rid of the old school way of thinking (Firing of Budaska). 

He was also picked because of his accomplishments in Houston...

He got here last year and offense struggled as a whole, plus had one of the worst offensive NLCS showings in recent memory...

I dont think he'll be fired, but if offense struggles again this year, the hitting coach is almost always the 1st scapegoat...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

He was also picked because of his accomplishments in Houston...

He got here last year and offense struggled as a whole, plus had one of the worst offensive NLCS showings in recent memory...

I dont think he'll be fired, but if offense struggles again this year, the hitting coach is almost always the 1st scapegoat...

I agree. I think he's on an extremely short leash. 

On 2/16/2020 at 6:25 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

Miles Mikolas was scratched from throwing yesterday after soreness in his flexor tendon. He dealt with this last season and underwent PRP injection this past offseason for it...

He'll be shut down for a couple weeks. Cards saying it's a minor setback...

We all know that means he'll be out for season soon...

Seems like it’s trending in that direction. 

On 2/16/2020 at 6:25 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

Miles Mikolas was scratched from throwing yesterday after soreness in his flexor tendon. He dealt with this last season and underwent PRP injection this past offseason for it...

He'll be shut down for a couple weeks. Cards saying it's a minor setback...

We all know that means he'll be out for season soon...

Good thing we've got some decent rotation depth. I hope this isn't serious. 

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Yeah there's no way this is only a 3-4 week injury. He'll be out until May at the earliest. Hopefully they caught the injury early enough where they can avoid Tommy John. 

It wouldn't be a TJS surgery, as flexor tendon is in forearm/hand. It is a surgical option though, but recovery is much shorter than TJS. 6-12 months recovery vs. 12-18 months...

You're right though, best case scenario is that he's back by end of April...

Are we carrying 3 lefties down in the Bullpen this year? I think Andrew Miller and Tyler Webb are locks, then if Brett Cecil is healthy he's for sure going to make it. Not because I want him to, but the dude had produced NOTHING over the past 2 seasons and still finds himself pitching for this organization. If he's healthy, he's on the 26-man roster. 

And I think I posted this already, but Tyler Webb was a freaking stud last year when asked to pitch at least 1 inning...which bolds well for this year and the new rule change of lefty relievers being required to throw to 3 batters minimum. 

43.2 IP, 3 earned runs, 12 hits, 8 walks, 41 strikeouts

4 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Are we carrying 3 lefties down in the Bullpen this year? I think Andrew Miller and Tyler Webb are locks, then if Brett Cecil is healthy he's for sure going to make it. Not because I want him to, but the dude had produced NOTHING over the past 2 seasons and still finds himself pitching for this organization. If he's healthy, he's on the 26-man roster. 

And I think I posted this already, but Tyler Webb was a freaking stud last year when asked to pitch at least 1 inning...which bolds well for this year and the new rule change of lefty relievers being required to throw to 3 batters minimum. 

43.2 IP, 3 earned runs, 12 hits, 8 walks, 41 strikeouts

I think both Webb and Miller, as you eluded to are both making this team. I think the 3rd lefty, if we carry one will be Genesis Cabrera...

I think last year was Cecil's chance to redeem himself. He's on last year of contract now, so not tied to him for multiple years anymore. We can afford to eat his salary as it's already been accounted for. Plus, he's not been good against RHH. With the new rule change, it actually hurt his chances of making this team...

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?