The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

Yep, all good here. Still working a ton, and I work part time at a Grocery Store so that’s fun right now. Everyone is healthy though, so I cant complain to much. 

Trying to use this no sports and social distancing time wisely. Trying to cook new meals and introducing our 4 year old to some of the movies we grew up on as kids. She watched Spiderman a few days ago and Ninja Turtles (1990) today lol....she’s also seen Beauty and the beast. Which she’s obsessed with now and wants to watch everyday. 

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Yep, doing ok here.  Adjusting to working from home and doing things differently, but it's going all right.  Bigger adjustment is for my kids doing school stuff at home.  My wife is super-organized, so she's totally on top of all of it.  

I'm also a big Indycar fan, and they did a race with most of the Indycar drivers on iRacing today, which was really cool.  Add that to NFL free agency, playing NFL 95 on my Sega Genesis emulator, and playing lots of ping pong with my son, and I've still had a fair amount of sports while under quarantine.  No baseball or March Madness is still weird, but I'm thankful for what I've got.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 10:06 AM, holt_bruce81 said:

1. Chris Carpenter
2. Jack Flaherty 
3. Jeff Suppan
4. Jeff Weaver 
5. Joe Kelly 

1. Chris Carpenter 

2. Adam Wainwright 

3. Woody Williams

4. Luke Weaver

5. Braden Looper

Hard to go against Wainwright and Carpenter in their prime. They were the best 1-2 punch in baseball for several years. Both stole cy young votes from each other. I love Flaherty, but I'll still take the guy who did it consistently for almost 10 years right now...

• Like 1

So me and a Co-Worker were talking about best lineup the Cardinals have had in our lifetime. We’re both in our 30s and agreed that the 2004 offense was the best Cardinals lineup we’ve seen. But then we started talking about pitching and had a tough time coming up with the best Cardinals pitching staff we’ve ever seen. Was that 2005?

Chris Carpenter - Mark Mulder - Matt Morris -Jeff Suppan - Jason Marquis 

Has there been a better 1-5 since then? 

Edited by holt_bruce81

10 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

So me and a Co-Worker were talking about best lineup the Cardinals have had in our lifetime. We’re both in our 30s and agreed that the 2004 offense was the best Cardinals lineup we’ve seen. But then we started talking about pitching and had a tough time coming up with the best Cardinals pitching staff we’ve ever seen. Was that 2005?

Chris Carpenter - Mark Mulder - Matt Morris -Jeff Suppan - Jason Marquis 

Has there been a better 1-5 since then? 

2010 rotation had Carp, Wainwright, Lohse, Suppan and Jaime...

On 3/31/2020 at 10:06 AM, holt_bruce81 said:

1. Chris Carpenter
2. Jack Flaherty 
3. Jeff Suppan
4. Jeff Weaver 
5. Joe Kelly 

1. Carpenter 

2. Wainwright 

3. Lohse 

4. Jeff Weaver

5. Luke Weaver

Hard to leave out Flaherty, but I just can't ignore Carp & Waino's longer track record and postseason success.

• 4 weeks later...

Yadier Molina told ESPN's Marly Rivera that he will consider testing the free agent market after 2020.

Molina was reportedly discussing a contract extension with the Cardinals back in mid-March, just before spring training was suspended amid the coronavirus outbreak, but the two parties never did finalize a new deal and the future Hall of Fame catcher is currently scheduled to become a free agent in November. "Obviously, St. Louis is my first option," said Molina. "But if they don't sign me, then I'm willing to go into free agency. This situation has changed my mentality and all I want to do is play ... right now, I'm thinking of playing two more years."

• 2 weeks later...

I think we've gone over this topic in here before, but is this group going to be all butthurt over the forced DH thats coming with this situation (and not likely ever going away)?

Ive made it pretty clear that I think we are about a decade past due for the leagues to be on a level playing field. And they werent ever going to get rid of it in the AL, so the only option is that the NL adopts it. It could be nice for our current roster makeup, but it could also end up in disaster if this allows Carpenter to hit his incentive to guarantee the final season of his deal

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think we've gone over this topic in here before, but is this group going to be all butthurt over the forced DH thats coming with this situation (and not likely ever going away)?

Ive made it pretty clear that I think we are about a decade past due for the leagues to be on a level playing field. And they werent ever going to get rid of it in the AL, so the only option is that the NL adopts it. It could be nice for our current roster makeup, but it could also end up in disaster if this allows Carpenter to hit his incentive to guarantee the final season of his deal

I’m ok with the DH. 

• Like 1

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?