The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

Molina averages 63 strikeouts over a full season in his 16 year career.

Ozuna averages 141 over 7 year. 

I'm not completely trashing Ozuna (in fact, my initial post was basically a joke), but that is a reach. There's a huge difference in the "always makes contact" aspect between the two of them. 

Yea but he was also a GIDP machine in big situations (much like Albert before he left) for many of those years, but he was a "great contact hitter" so people overlooked it. 

It may have been a joke, but Ozuna's been the only consistent power hitter (you could even say hitter period) this year, and you picked on a Double play he hit in the first inning. Seems pretty fair to be called out for, especially after he mashed another HR

Kind of a shocked he got fired. "Buddha" got a lot of credit for the Cards turn around last year. When Mabry was the teams hitting coach it seemed like the front office would send alot of guys who struggled up at the Major league level down to the Minors to work with Budaska. 

Its gotta be a difference of philosophy thing. He seems more old school, whereas Jeff Albert is more new school. 

15 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yea but he was also a GIDP machine in big situations (much like Albert before he left) for many of those years, but he was a "great contact hitter" so people overlooked it. 

It may have been a joke, but Ozuna's been the only consistent power hitter (you could even say hitter period) this year, and you picked on a Double play he hit in the first inning. Seems pretty fair to be called out for, especially after he mashed another HR

If you really believed I was basing whether or not his next contract should be dependent on one at bat, then yeah, it deserves to be called out. In case you're interested, I have a beautiful ocean front property in Arizona that could be had for a steal.

Seems to me you were just looking to nitpick someone again. My comment was more tongue and cheek than anything and I'm pretty sure you're aware of that. 

3 hours ago, JonStark said:

Seems to me you were just looking to nitpick someone again. My comment was more tongue and cheek than anything and I'm pretty sure you're aware of that. 

Im the one nitpicking? You doubled down on it, but its just tongue in cheek... sure ok got it

16 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Kind of a shocked he got fired. "Buddha" got a lot of credit for the Cards turn around last year. When Mabry was the teams hitting coach it seemed like the front office would send alot of guys who struggled up at the Major league level down to the Minors to work with Budaska. 

Its gotta be a difference of philosophy thing. He seems more old school, whereas Jeff Albert is more new school. 

Somewhat surprised by this as well. They really talked him up last year. Funny how views change with non performance...

I think you're right though, his approach clashes with Albert...

Tonight's lineup...

1. Dexter Fowler (S) - RF
2. Tommy Edman (S) - 3B
3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) - 1B
4. Marcell Ozuna (R) - LF
5. Paul DeJong (R) - SS
6. Matt Carpenter (L) - DH
7. Yadier Molina (R) - C
8. Kolten Wong (L) - 2B
9. Lane Thomas (R) - CF

Image result for michael scott weiner gif tobey

Edited by holt_bruce81
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Tonight's lineup...

2. Tommy Edman (S) - 3B
5. Paul DeJong (R) - SS
7. Yadier Molina (R) - C
8. Kolten Wong (L) - 2B
9. Lane Thomas (R) - CF

At least Lane is in CF.

Was hoping Randy would start his first game in STL, but that's gonna be too far away. 

4 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Tonight's lineup...

2. Tommy Edman (S) - 3B
5. Paul DeJong (R) - SS
7. Yadier Molina (R) - C
8. Kolten Wong (L) - 2B
9. Lane Thomas (R) - CF

Arozarena better get used to that bench with Fowler playing everyday. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?