The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

This is going to sound alarmist, but what we just did (dropping 3 in a row) is on the edge of disastrous. That is equivalent to about an 8 game losing streak in a normal season. Its going to feel weird seeing these equivalency calculations for this year, because it will never truly feel that way, but by the time we get to next Fridays game (if we make it there), we will already be 1/5 through the season.

If Jack cant stop the bleeding tomorrow, it will be like a 10 game losing streak and we could be in some real trouble, as I dont know if I trust anyone else to shut down another club, which with this anemic offense, thats what will have to be done.

All Im saying is a few (relatively) short losing streaks, or one long one can completely sink a team in this short sprint, even with an expanded playoff. And we have seen basically this same line up have a power outage for weeks at a time. 

Also, dont expect Carlson to be some savior, we have like 5 holes in this lineup, not one

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Just shut it down... Only the NBA and NHL seem to be working because of their bubbles. Traveling city to city just isn’t going to work.

Hate to say it, but I agree. I mean we're 1 week into season and have already had multiple cases on 3 teams causing postponement. The odds of finishing the full 60 games in timely fashion just keep getting less and less. The MLB and the MLBPA really screwed up their approach to this...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Hate to say it, but I agree. I mean we're 1 week into season and have already had multiple cases on 3 teams causing postponement. The odds of finishing the full 60 games in timely fashion just keep getting less and less. The MLB and the MLBPA really screwed up their approach to this...

Exactly and unfortunately the same will happen with the NFL and college if they even make it through camps...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that calling up Dylan Carlson is one of the moves the Cardinals have planned when they're cleared to resume play.

Two of the team's three most recent positive tests for COVID-19 were outfielders, creating an obvious need for reinforcements. Of course, the outfield had already been a need for the Cardinals before that, but we digress. Goold says that the Cards "had encouraging results from Sunday’s and Monday’s tests" and "needed the same Tuesday" in order to be cleared to resume workouts as soon as Thursday. The team's next scheduled game is Friday, although it's unclear whether playing that game is possible or if their return would be later in the weekend (again, if they're cleared). As for Carlson, he's expected to play regularly when he arrives. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?