The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Somewhere @ramssuperbowl99 is raging.

It's not a surprise with the new system, but yes, a team one of the top 10 wealthiest media market deals in baseball getting a draft pick for to help offset the challenges of having a small media contract is stupid. I'd say that if the Brewers were getting one too. 

I owe you a response in the Stanton thread. I'll get there. It's been a crazy few days.

So, Rick Hummel had a chat the other day and this question was presented to him:

"With Farrell, Girardi and Baker all getting the boot despite making the playoffs, it's a no-brainer that Matheny doesn't return if the Cards don't make the playoffs in 2018. Does the heat also get turned up on Mo?"

His response was a breathe of fresh air, as he's pretty reserved usually about making comments unless he's well informed. He said:

"The heat will be on everyone, but Mo just got a new deal, so unlikely he'd be gone. Matheny would not be back if the playoffs were missed again in 2018."

On 11/17/2017 at 9:58 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

The heat will be on everyone, but Mo just got a new deal, so unlikely he'd be gone. Matheny would not be back if the playoffs were missed again in 2018."

With those guys getting the boot even as far as they too their teams, it seems the writing is on the wall that Mike is on his way out almost regardless of our outcome. If we were to make it to the WS then probably not, but short of that (especially if we land a bat or two, and a couple arms, including a closer) I’d say Matheny is Out and Oquendo is in for 2019

49 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

With those guys getting the boot even as far as they too their teams, it seems the writing is on the wall that Mike is on his way out almost regardless of our outcome. If we were to make it to the WS then probably not, but short of that (especially if we land a bat or two, and a couple arms, including a closer) I’d say Matheny is Out and Oquendo is in for 2019

I'm not sure it's that black and white, although I think we'd all like to see Matheny canned.

No real surprises there.  O'Neill is a top 10 prospect, and Mercado is likely a top 20 prospect.  Both would have been easy claims for any team.  Gomber can give you ML innings, at the very least out of the bullpen so adding him was a must.  Just a few other names that needed 40 man protection, otherwise they get exposed in the Rule V draft.

2B Darren Seferina - Was originally drafted in the 5th round of the 2014 draft.  Put up good (.277/.357/.410, .351 wOBA, 118 wRC+ at AA in 197 PA), but not great numbers.  The stat line pretty much tells the whole story.  Good hit tool, doesn't posses much power, and a decent SB threat.  Overall, probably a replacement-level player at 2B.  Someone will likely take a shot on him.  Don't think he has any experience playing SS which limits his value.

RHP Derian Gonzalez - The guys over at VEB like him a bit more than I do.  He's got a good arm, but he's still raw and doesn't have a ton of innings under his belt.  Someone will probably take a chance on him.

RHP Daniel Poncedeleon - If he weren't injured, he almost certainly would be claimed.

RHP Chris Ellis - One of the guys we got in the trade with the Braves as part of the Jaime Garcia trade.  He sputtered at the AAA level last year, but no reason to think he couldn't be a replacement-level reliever.

Craig Mish of SiriusXM reports that the Marlins have discussed packaging Giancarlo Stanton and Dee Gordon in a trade with the Giants.

According to Mish, second baseman Joe Panik and prospects Tyler Beede and Chris Shaw are named being exchanged that could possibly go back to the Marlins. While the Marlins would get prospects back with this proposal, it appears that the main goal would be unloading salary.

As many of us had expected, Alcantara is reportedly part of the package we have offered.

The question we have been discussing over here today; is he the headliner? Or is he the 2nd piece of the deal?

I personally think we are willing to take on more money (Ziegler and less money from the Marlins), which would make Alcantara the headliner of the deal. Toss in a couple of Grichuck/Diaz types (Major League talents) and another arm like Gomber, and thats the type of deal we have offered up.

His name being leaked also lines up with him being the headliner 

Edited by StLunatic88

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

As many of us had expected, Alcantara is reportedly part of the package we have offered.

The question we have been discussing over here today; is he the headliner? Or is he the 2nd piece of the deal?

I personally think we are willing to take on more money (Ziegler and less money from the Marlins), which would make Alcantara the headliner of the deal. Toss in a couple of Grichuck/Diaz types (Major League talents) and another arm like Gomber, and thats the type of deal we have offered up.

His name being leaked also lines up with him being the headliner 

I would assume he's the "headliner" of the deal, but it's really anyone's guess.  I just don't feel that the secondary piece would be getting leaked before the primary name was leaked, and aside from that "average Joe" I don't think I've heard anyone report any other names other than him.

After dealing Adeiny Hechavarria, they've got a need at SS which Aledmys Diaz could fill if he can bounce back.  He's probably that 3rd piece with them adding in Austin Gomber to help with roster numbers.  Something like Sandy Alcantara, X, Aledmys Diaz, and Austin Gomber for Giancarlo Stanton and Brad Ziegler.

What do you guys make of the Carpenter super sub talk? I think they are probably asking a bit too much of him. I don't see a problem with a few starts at 2nd or 3rd but he needs to stay at first base for the most part. He's not a fantastic defender at any position but he sucks the least at first. 

I'm hoping we can land Stanton and maybe Donaldson, trade Gyorko, and leave Carp at first. If Wong doesn't improve against lefties, then start Carp at 2nd and JoMart at first against them. 

Also, I hope everyone had a nice thanksgiving. It has been dead around here so I'm hoping everyone just had a bit too much turkey. Hopefully this sparks some Cards discussion. This is my favorite place around these parts so daddy needs some Cards news. These Stanton rumors are killing me :D:D

8 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What do you guys make of the Carpenter super sub talk? I think they are probably asking a bit too much of him. I don't see a problem with a few starts at 2nd or 3rd but he needs to stay at first base for the most part. He's not a fantastic defender at any position but he sucks the least at first. 

I'm hoping we can land Stanton and maybe Donaldson, trade Gyorko, and leave Carp at first. If Wong doesn't improve against lefties, then start Carp at 2nd and JoMart at first against them. 

My initial thought was no.  But when I looked at the PA by position, it actually wasn't as outrageous as I thought it would be.  This past season, the Cardinals got 761 PA from their 2B of which 411 went to Kolten Wong.  Even if the Cardinals wanted to bump up Wong's PA to 500 PA, that still leaves another ~150 PA available.  At 3B, the Cardinals got 878 PA from their 3B of which 480 went to Jedd Gyorko.  IF the Cardinals acquired a better option at 3B (think Evan Longoria or Josh Donaldson) and gave them 650 PA, that's still another ~200 PA they could give to Carpenter.  Assuming they wanted to give Carpenter another 600 PA next year, they could give him an additional ~250 PA at 1B.  That's probably another ~600 PA that needs to be accounted for.  That means a bigger role for Stephen Piscotty or Jose Martinez at 1B, which I'm not totally opposed to.

The Cardinals have enough PA that they could go out and trade for Stanton and Donaldson/Longoria, and then sign someone to compete at 1B if they weren't comfortable with Jose Martinez.  Probably unlikely though.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?