The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

15 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

They have to get Hudson out of the rotation...

What's up with you and Hudson, man? I know he pitched poorly last night, but he's been far from the problem in our rotation. I agree, in the long run he probably shouldn't be there unless he improves, but he's been at least serviceable all year. He should be our #5 which suits him well. In fact, I'd argue he'd probably be one of the better #5 starters in the league. Wacha/Ponce is the gaping wound we have in our rotation. 

11 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What's up with you and Hudson, man? I know he pitched poorly last night, but he's been far from the problem in our rotation. I agree, in the long run he probably shouldn't be there unless he improves, but he's been at least serviceable all year. He should be our #5 which suits him well. In fact, I'd argue he'd probably be one of the better #5 starters in the league. Wacha/Ponce is the gaping wound we have in our rotation. 

He’s not a starter to me and it’s shown over his last 7 starts.

He’s regressed more and more each start. Definitely puts more of a strain on the bullpen when he’s starting every 5th game.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

I don’t even want to try to understand why Arozarena is still down in AAA. And what the hell does Lane Thomas have to do to get some playing time? He’s better defensively than any “outfielder” we currently have on the roster and he’s delivered in his limited ABs. 

• Like 2

Randy A needs to be up and starting for this team. You've got a guy who could absolutely scorching, that can provide a spark for the offense, that has speed and defense sitting in Memphis while we start Edman and Munoz in the OF. I agree with you guys. Even Lane Thomas is a much better option than Munoz/Edman. 

I agree @ttitansfan4life Hudson is pretty bad right now, but I figure he's just running into his rookie wall. Jack did it last year, I just think the major problem in the rotation is Wacha/Ponce. We did need to upgrade at least one of those spots, but we didn't. Maybe Helsley will make Hudson's next start? I guess we just have to pray Wacha can go 6 IP. Every now and then he gets it together. Just never more than 2 starts in a row. September can't come soon enough to give our pen a break. Fernandez and Whitley need to be in the show ASAP. 

Watched Genesis Cabrera pitch last night for Memphis. He looked really good, was probably his best start in AAA this season. Had really good command of all 3 of his pitches. Was a tight strike zone last night as well. 

And did anyone see Zac Rosscup's Memphis Debut the other night? It was just awesome...

0.0 IP, 1 hit, 2 earned runs, 3 walks 

20 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Watched Genesis Cabrera pitch last night for Memphis. He looked really good, was probably his best start in AAA this season. Had really good command of all 3 of his pitches. Was a tight strike zone last night as well. 

And did anyone see Zac Rosscup's Memphis Debut the other night? It was just awesome...

0.0 IP, 1 hit, 2 earned runs, 3 walks 

If Cabrera can do something that would be a huge win for us. Right now that Pham trade is looking mighty dumb. I know Pham had his issues and maybe was only so good right after the trade to spite us, but Cabrera and Williams have been majorly bad. We could use a good Cabrera in the bigs in a bad way.

On 8/3/2019 at 5:35 PM, ttitansfan4life said:

Mainly meant that middle of the order bat who can hit 30+ HRs and bat close to 300 or over.

I mean, I don't think Nolan Gorman will ever consistently create enough contact to hit .300 in the big leagues.  His K% has been roughly 29% this year.  For comparison, Joey Gallo in High-A ball was 26% but that was the lowest of his MILB career.  Don't think Gorman is going to have quite the contact issues that Gallo has, but he also doesn't quite have that much power.  The comp I keep coming back to is Troy Glaus.  He's never going to win a GG at 3B, but I think he's serviceable there and he's going to offer enough with the bat.  Maybe something like .265 with 30+ HR.  I don't really have a good comp for Dylan Carlson.  I think there's 20/20 potential at least early on his career.  Reports on his defense have been promising, which is surprising given his scouting report coming out of high school.  He's got a cleaner swing but not quite the power that Gorman has.  If this production at AA is sustainable, he's arguably a top 25 prospect.  Maybe Starling Marte without the speed?

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 4:10 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

Frustrating day.

Frustrating is definitely the best way to put it.  But I actually do believe that Mo made the right decision not to deal any of their young guys for rentals.  I mean, asking for Bader or O'Neill for a pending FA is ridiculous assuming that's true.

On 8/1/2019 at 9:28 AM, StLunatic88 said:

You guys really need to get your panties out of their twist. There really wasnt all that much reasonably available out there. And overpaying for one BP Arm, or one Back of the Rotation guy wasnt going to push this team into major contender position.

This team, as currently constructed, got back into it. Got themselves into first place. So why not just ride this out? Why sell Bader/O'Neill at their absolute lowest for (plus likely much more) for Zach Wheeler?

Is it disappointing that we didnt get anything? Yes, but look around the league, alot of the playoff contenders didnt really get anything.

My frustration is with the Jedd Gyorko trade.  Why move someone who can help the big league roster this year for minimal savings and at best a lottery ticket?  FanGraphs listed him as the 48th best prospect dealt at the deadline with the caption of "teenage relief prospect who sits 89-92 and flashes an above-average slider. Lacks physical projection for a teen."    The K% and BB% look nice, but he lacks projection and he doesn't have a ton of velocity.  At best, he's a HUGE lottery ticket.  Odds are he flames out.

Why not treat Webb and Mejia as what they are. They are Loogy's. They shouldn't be pitching an inning+ unless you're trying to save some arms down in the bullpen in a blowout. Are they trying to find that multi-inning Lefty because of the rule change next year? Because I don't think we have that Lefty on the roster right now. Even Shreve, pitching 2+ innings last night for Memphis....why? 

The closest Lefty you're going to have to fit that role next year would be Austin Gomber, most likely none of these current lefties are on the team.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?