The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

My frustration is with the Jedd Gyorko trade.  Why move someone who can help the big league roster this year for minimal savings and at best a lottery ticket?  FanGraphs listed him as the 48th best prospect dealt at the deadline with the caption of "teenage relief prospect who sits 89-92 and flashes an above-average slider. Lacks physical projection for a teen."    The K% and BB% look nice, but he lacks projection and he doesn't have a ton of velocity.  At best, he's a HUGE lottery ticket.  Odds are he flames out.

What was Gyorko going to do for this team this year?

20 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

What was Gyorko going to do for this team this year?

I mean who really knows. But I'd rather have him on my bench than Munoz and in a key spot in a game versus a tough lefty, he's probably one of, if not my first choice off the bench. And its not like were getting great production out of 3B anyways right now. The trade was dumb.

4 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I mean who really knows. But I'd rather have him on my bench than Munoz and in a key spot in a game versus a tough lefty, he's probably one of, if not my first choice off the bench. And its not like were getting great production out of 3B anyways right now. The trade was dumb.

Disagree. Munoz has shown knack for pinch hitting. He's getting somewhat exposed right now because he's being forced into an every day role, when he's not that...

He's been good off the bench in spot starts and pich hitting opportunities...

3 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Nothing. He may not even be activated in time to be eligible for post season roster...

This is exactly my point. Ot feels like some of you just want to be mad, and are using this as your "big issue" to sink your teeth into since its pretty obvious the asking price on any pitching, but especially starting pitching was outrageous at the deadline.

Speaking of the deadline, Im completelty fine with one Deadline, but the fact that they kept it at July 31st with 2 Wild Card spots was just dumb. Should have pushed it to the middle of August.

On 8/4/2019 at 12:54 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

I don’t even want to try to understand why Arozarena is still down in AAA. And what the hell does Lane Thomas have to do to get some playing time? He’s better defensively than any “outfielder” we currently have on the roster and he’s delivered in his limited ABs. 

Brother, you and me both. Been saying for 2 months he should be here and don't know what else he can do to prove this.

He's hitting .541 in his last 10 games...

Yet, we'd rather keep hottest hitter in the organization at AAA so we don't loose fringe guys on waivers...

24 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Nothing. He may not even be activated in time to be eligible for post season roster...

But Gyorko has said he’s been ready to go on a rehab assignment for a week+ now and has already started one for the Dodgers. I don’t Think there’s any way he isn’t ready to be activated before September 1st, unless an injury occurs during rehab. 

34 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

But Gyorko has said he’s been ready to go on a rehab assignment for a week+ now and has already started one for the Dodgers. I don’t Think there’s any way he isn’t ready to be activated before September 1st, unless an injury occurs during rehab. 

Dodgers beat writer was on 101 ESPN today talking about how Gyorko may be on extended rehab assignment. He said club loves what they've seen from Tyler White and don't see Gyorko taking his spot...

19 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Not only can we not pitch, now bats have gone silent again since we actually started playing higher end opponents...

This team just continues to amaze me at their inconsistency and underperformance across the board...

Can Wacha and Helsley flip spots?

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?