The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

Just now, kgarrett12486 said:

We had 9 internal guys that were looked at as being potential  rotation pieces going into the year. It's not like we went into year empty handed...

Don't think anyone saw the injuries piling up like they did, or the regression of Wacha to the level it is...

The staff looks a lot different if everyone is healthy. I'd love our chances if we had a Mikolas-Martinez-Flaherty top of the rotation. And if Gomber was healthy, I think he'd be our 5th starter right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Tommy Edman is sporting a 73 wRC+ and he's an INF.  But you're seeing him being ran out in RF.  Why?  

They are using Tommy Edman wrong and it's disappointing. He should be looked at as a utility guy who gets no more than like 2 starts a week. I also think that way about Jose Martinez. He should only be starting to give one of the corner outfielders a day off and his main role should be as a pinch hitter. 

Tired of these guys being in the lineup everyday. 

And I'm also one to believe that Yairo Munoz getting 1 start a week is to much lol, I might be a Munoz hater i don't know, just don't think he's any good. How he's up here and Arozarena is down in Memphis is head-scratching. I mean i'd rather even have a reliever up here and role with a 8-man bullpen over having Munoz. 

Edited by holt_bruce81
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

They are using Tommy Edman wrong and it's disappointing. He should be looked at as a utility guy who gets no more than like 2 starts a week. I also think that way about Jose Martinez. He should only be starting to give one of the corner outfielders a day off and his main role should be as a pinch hitter. 

Tired of these guys being in the lineup everyday. 

And I'm also one to believe that Yairo Munoz getting 1 start a week is to much lol, I might be a Munoz hater i don't know, just don't think he's any good. 

Agreed on Edman and Munoz. Both guys are role/utility players. They should only be seeing time in spot starts and PH opportunities...

I think Jose is more than that. He's a guy that can be very productive with the bat for long stretches and his defense has vastly improved in RF over the last month. He's still not a guy I want starting 145+ games a year though...

39 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Agreed on Edman and Munoz. Both guys are role/utility players. They should only be seeing time in spot starts and PH opportunities...

I think Jose is more than that. He's a guy that can be very productive with the bat for long stretches and his defense has vastly improved in RF over the last month. He's still not a guy I want starting 145+ games a year though...

You're probably right on Jose. I'm probably reading way to much into his advanced stats. Just don't think he should be the reason to leave anyone down at Memphis....

3 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

You're probably right on Jose. I'm probably reading way to much into his advanced stats. Just don't think he should be the reason to leave anyone down at Memphis....

He's definitely not a guy you wouldn't look to displace if we had a RF that was MLB ready and projected better...

Maybe Fowler's slight uptick in numbers will make him a little easier to move in the offseason. I hope, at least. 

I agree that our Farm is a little better than given credit for, but I also agree that we might need an overhaul on the major league roster. I wish we could have traded Ozuna, but injuries made that impossible. We might have gotten some good prospects for him. A draft pick will be nice for him. We need to get as many picks as possible since we lost so many in the 17 draft. 

20 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Maybe Fowler's slight uptick in numbers will make him a little easier to move in the offseason. I hope, at least. 

I agree that our Farm is a little better than given credit for, but I also agree that we might need an overhaul on the major league roster. I wish we could have traded Ozuna, but injuries made that impossible. We might have gotten some good prospects for him. A draft pick will be nice for him. We need to get as many picks as possible since we lost so many in the 17 draft. 

It's just hard to believe any team takes on that contract unless the Cardinals were to send a decent prospect with him. 

18 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

It's just hard to believe any team takes on that contract unless the Cardinals were to send a decent prospect with him. 

Id have to re-look at the end of the year, but I think our best bet is a Bad Contract swap with somebody. Either a Reliver making too much (that wouldnt hinder our roster makeup) or maybe even a Starter being paid like a #2 who is more like a #5

26 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Id have to re-look at the end of the year, but I think our best bet is a Bad Contract swap with somebody. Either a Reliver making too much (that wouldnt hinder our roster makeup) or maybe even a Starter being paid like a #2 who is more like a #5

Jon Lester for Dexter Fowler. Calling it now! xD

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

So Kolten Wong should probably be leading off, no? I know this has been tried a few dozen times, but he's scorching hot and has been for about a month now.

Agreed. He should get a few games in lead off. He's been our most consistent hitter since ASG break...

If Schildt can pencil in Tommy Edman in the 2 spot, not sure why he's reluctant to try Wong at leadoff given our offensive troubles...

Not like Wing doesn't want to hit there either, he's clamored for it in past...

23 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Jon Lester for Dexter Fowler. Calling it now! xD

I mean thats obviously never gonna happen, but you've got the right idea.

Unfortunately, for some unexplainable reason, we gave Dexter Fowler a Full NTC, so that already makes it hard on our end. Then we also need to find a team that wants to add an average corner OF

If I remember what I was looking at before, this is a list of guys that may be options;

• Mark Melancon - He was an option, but not sure now that hes been traded once already. And the Braves dont really need to an OF
  • Alex Cobb - Doubt the O's give up on him after 1 year, and coming off an injury is risky. Plus his deal is one year longer than Dex's i think
  • Wade Davis/Bryan Shaw - Both RP are having rough years in Colorado, but they have their own problem contract in Ian Desmond
  • Jordan Zimmerman -  hes only got 1 year left, but its more $ than Dex.  Ive eyed him most, just throw him as #5 and an innings eater for a year while the young guys get healthy
  • Ian Kennedy/Danny Duffy - Not sure that KC wants Dexter, but either of these BOTR guys would match up decent dollar wise
  • W.Y. Chen - Hes been a disaster, so we might actually be getting the short end of the stick here, but if it clears up the OF it might be worth it
  • J.A. Happ - Would be a good target, but its the Yankees, who rarely need to dump salary, nor do they need an OF
  • Johnny Cueto - Outside of the TJS, how well would that go over with this franchise? 

And thats about it. Now if we want to add a bunch of money to the deal, that opens it up alittle more, but not all that much. Honestly, unless they just bite the bullet and cut him, I think were stuck with Fowler for 2 more seasons

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

I mean thats obviously never gonna happen, but you've got the right idea.

Unfortunately, for some unexplainable reason, we gave Dexter Fowler a Full NTC, so that already makes it hard on our end. Then we also need to find a team that wants to add an average corner OF

If I remember what I was looking at before, this is a list of guys that may be options;

• Mark Melancon - He was an option, but not sure now that hes been traded once already. And the Braves dont really need to an OF
  • Alex Cobb - Doubt the O's give up on him after 1 year, and coming off an injury is risky. Plus his deal is one year longer than Dex's i think
  • Wade Davis/Bryan Shaw - Both RP are having rough years in Colorado, but they have their own problem contract in Ian Desmond
  • Jordan Zimmerman -  hes only got 1 year left, but its more $ than Dex.  Ive eyed him most, just throw him as #5 and an innings eater for a year while the young guys get healthy
  • Ian Kennedy/Danny Duffy - Not sure that KC wants Dexter, but either of these BOTR guys would match up decent dollar wise
  • W.Y. Chen - Hes been a disaster, so we might actually be getting the short end of the stick here, but if it clears up the OF it might be worth it
  • J.A. Happ - Would be a good target, but its the Yankees, who rarely need to dump salary, nor do they need an OF
  • Johnny Cueto - Outside of the TJS, how well would that go over with this franchise? 

And thats about it. Now if we want to add a bunch of money to the deal, that opens it up alittle more, but not all that much. Honestly, unless they just bite the bullet and cut him, I think were stuck with Fowler for 2 more seasons

Yeah and unfortunately a lot of those teams listed above are in the rebuilding mode and probably are looking to dump salary more than do a salary swap of old ball players. Would LOVE to get Ian Kennedy on this team, he's actually been a decent Closer for the Royals. We could slide him into the Closer role here for next year and move Carlos back to the rotation. 

I think you'd have to try and partner with a team like the Giants. They seem like the kind of organization that would take Dexter Fowler. But I don't think there's a chance Cueto is ever a Cardinal. If there was a trade with that team at all, I think Samardzija would be the better fit. Might have to add some money to the deal though. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?