The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Jeff Jones of the Belleville News-Democrat reports that Archie Bradley is "one pitcher to keep in mind" as the Cardinals look for bullpen help. Bradley's agent is Cardinals special assistant Ryan Franklin’s brother.

He has a cool beard. That's half the battle for a bullpen guy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Looks like we signed Steven Matz to a 4 year deal worth $44 million. With a chance to make $48 million. 

Not a bad signing, I think he’ll do decent here. 

Don't like that 4th year, but I can live with $11M AAV. Honestly, this signing to me is just meh. Of all the SP options, he's the one I worry about the most. He's been inconsistent throughout his career and has never thrown more than 160 IP. 

I don't think we're done at all on the pitching front.

'Mets owner Steve Cohen is livid that his team didn’t sign Matz. In a tweet, Cohen said: “I’m not happy this morning. I’ve never seen such unprofessional behavior exhibited by a player’s agent. I guess words and promises don’t matter.”

It was later reported by Jon Heyman of MLB Network that Matz promised the Mets a chance to match any offer. They were under the impression that Matz wanted to return to New York. In the end, however, Matz had a change of heart and didn’t give the Mets a chance to match the Cardinals’ offer, with president of baseball operations John Mozeliak’s recruitment being what sold Matz on spending the next four seasons in St. Louis.'

Mets just can't catch a break this off-season lol. Everyone hates them. 

Matz seems like a guy that is on the verge of clicking consistently. His injuries worry me, though. But he’s a lefty, throws strikes, and get ground balls. Seems like he’s a good fit with our defense behind him. I’m still worried about Hudson and Mikolas being in the rotation, but we do have depth. 

8 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Looks like we signed Steven Matz to a 4 year deal worth $44 million. With a chance to make $48 million. 

Not a bad signing, I think he’ll do decent here. 

Not a lot of upside there.  Don't really love that 4th year, probably would have gone with a higher AAV for one less year but meh.

10 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Matz seems like a guy that is on the verge of clicking consistently. His injuries worry me, though. But he’s a lefty, throws strikes, and get ground balls. Seems like he’s a good fit with our defense behind him. I’m still worried about Hudson and Mikolas being in the rotation, but we do have depth. 

I'm not sure there is a ton of upside in this signing.  His best case scenario is who he was with Toronto this year, a 3 WAR SP which for $11M/year is really good value.  Which given our defense, it should be a good fit as long as he can stay healthy.  He doesn't eat a ton of innings unfortunately, as he's averaged about 5 IP per start.  You can probably plug him in as SP4 behind Flaherty, Wainwright, and Mikolas.  SP5 is probably Dakota Hudson as of now.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?