The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Go back to the NBA lockout.  How many fans stopped watching because they missed a couple dozen games?  The casual fans are always going to be casual fans.  They'll watch it because there's nothing else really going on. That's the beauty of MLB is that it comes in a dead period between NFL seasons.  When the NFL season ends in February until the first regular season games in early September, the only thing notable the NFL has is the NFL Draft which is usually from the diehard fans and that's only a weekend long.  The NBA season usually ends in June, so from June until early September the only major sports to watch is MLB.

Until we get to the point where we are missing an entire season, fans aren't going to take it personally.

The NBA is a completely different animal, so IMO it's not a viable comparison. The NBA has never had an issue with marketing it product/players and drawing in the last 20 years. It's built a whole genre based around it product and players. 

The NHL lockout would be a more apples to apples comparison based on where the sport was at the time. The NHL suffered for several years after this due to loosing the more casual fans and are just turning the corner in terms of getting it back to primetime after the PR hit the game took as a whole.  

Disagree with the sentiment that casual fans will just watch because it's the sport that's going on at the time. If this was the case, baseball wouldn't be trying to amend the game with all these tactics in order to shorten the length of games. They're doing so because they're loosing the new generation fans. These fans they need to keep them from continuing to get separated from the top of the major sports in north America and growing globally (like the NFL and NBA are doing). 

Missing any amount of games is a big hit to the game as a whole and it will have ripple effects. The hardcore fans will remain and the more casual fans will probably stick around if it's just a small amount of games. However, those on the fence it's gonna be a big deal, especially with the influence of the PR/SM backlash that will come to the MLB.

On 2/16/2022 at 11:10 AM, CWood21 said:

Until we get to the point where we are missing an entire season, fans aren't going to take it personally.

Fans have already taken it personally and we havent missed a thing yet. Once again, you are speaking on diehards, those are the only ones putting up with missing a large number of games.

By no fault of theirs, missing a huge chunk due to the pandemic, MLB already lost plenty of viewers, because people realized theres plenty of other ways to spend their time than slogging through a baseball game.

And please never compare the situation of the relationship between the MLB and NBA and their fans, unless you are pointing out the one doing it best and the one doing it the worst.

Hard to say what's going to happen if/when the labor issues get straightened out, but I wanted to know your guys thoughts:

Are you content with us going internally for the DH (whether it's Yepez/Gorman/Nootbar, etc.), or would you rather allocate money to that spot in form of a big time signing (like a Schwarber), or even a stop gap (like a Nelson Cruz)?

it seems from all media reports that we're content to start year using the internal options and will be prioritizing the BP market when things open up, but wanted to know where you guys would spend?

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Hard to say what's going to happen if/when the labor issues get straightened out, but I wanted to know your guys thoughts:

Are you content with us going internally for the DH (whether it's Yepez/Gorman/Nootbar, etc.), or would you rather allocate money to that spot in form of a big time signing (like a Schwarber), or even a stop gap (like a Nelson Cruz)?

it seems from all media reports that we're content to start year using the internal options and will be prioritizing the BP market when things open up, but wanted to know where you guys would spend?

I'm more of a DH-by-committee then committing big money to any one player.  I think you can use it as a pseudo-off day for guys like Yadi, Goldy, etc. to help rest their body without them completely being out of the lineup.  I think the only reason spending big on a DH is if you have an established middle-of-the-order bat, but nowhere to play him.  Obviously, it's an extreme example but David Ortiz is a good example.  That bat is too good to leave out of the lineup, but he's just passable at a defensive position.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I think we have enough Internal options this year to where we don’t have to go outside the organization, at least for now. I’m hoping they give Juan Yepez every opportunity to grab that role. 

• Like 1

I think I'm in the same boat as you both @holt_bruce81 and @CWood21. Unless we're gonna go for the Type A (which would be Schwarber) DH, who we could pencil in for the next 5 years, I'd rather just explore the internal options starting with Yepez. If he fails, you pivot to Gorman, or look externally at the deadline. Those DH/bat types are always available.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 2:03 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

I think I'm in the same boat as you both @holt_bruce81 and @CWood21. Unless we're gonna go for the Type A (which would be Schwarber) DH, who we could pencil in for the next 5 years, I'd rather just explore the internal options starting with Yepez. If he fails, you pivot to Gorman, or look externally at the deadline. Those DH/bat types are always available.

Schwarber would be the exact type of player I'd avoid.

On 2/24/2022 at 8:04 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

We need another Bat, a legit one that we can count on. Is that at DH? Maybe. But it has to be there or at SS. 

Im very excited to see what Yepez can do, but thrusting him straight into the everyday DH (he or Gorman) is not a Championship formula to me. 

I still will be Shocked if Albert Pujols isnt on this roster for 2022

On 3/1/2022 at 3:41 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

Well, officially gonna miss games in 2022. What a disgrace. 

This was the owners plan all along. They think that they can still negotiate like they have in the past and squeeze the bottom half of the union to just accept what they want

29 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

This was the owners plan all along. They think that they can still negotiate like they have in the past and squeeze the bottom half of the union to just accept what they want

I think this was definitely the owners fall back plan, to miss games if need be. The owners can miss April and a good portion of May and not take any real hit to their revenue numbers for the season, as majority of clubs their worst to months income wise from stadium amenities and ticket sales are in April/May. Even more so for colder weather cities. They knew they had this in their back pocket if need be. 

Gonna be interesting to see how long the union can stay 'united' and hold out, even with the stipends. 

Edited by kgarrett12486

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?