The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Love it. He's exactly what they needed. A LH bat off the bench and a platoon guy for the DH if needed. 

Is he really going to be that much of an upgrade over Nootbaar? 

Sucks about Flaherty. I expect Him to miss no less than half the season. 

Just now, holt_bruce81 said:

Is he really going to be that much of an upgrade over Nootbaar

Sucks about Flaherty. I expect Him to miss no less than half the season. 

100% IMO. I like Nootbar, but what we saw from him last year with the bat is about what I think his ceiling is. Dickerson had his worst year of his career last year and put up the same numbers. If you look what he did/averaged between 2014-2019 with the bat, you could be getting a stud.

He could be a legit 20+ HR guy with an .800+ OPS.  

16 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

100% IMO. I like Nootbar, but what we saw from him last year with the bat is about what I think his ceiling is. Dickerson had his worst year of his career last year and put up the same numbers. If you look what he did/averaged between 2014-2019 with the bat, you could be getting a stud.

He could be a legit 20+ HR guy with an .800+ OPS.  

Eh, I mean it’s 1 year/$5 million so it’s not like it’s a bad contract. I just think we could get the same production out of the guys already on the team. Would of rather spent that $5 elsewhere but it is what it is. 

Dickerson has been average at best over the last few years. And if he’s going to play a ton of DH, I want More than just a guy who can pop 15+ homers and has a .250/.310/.750 line. 

3 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Eh, I mean it’s 1 year/$5 million so it’s not like it’s a bad contract. I just think we could get the same production out of the guys already on the team. Would of rather spent that $5 elsewhere but it is what it is. 

Dickerson has been average at best over the last few years. And if he’s going to play a ton of DH, I want More than just a guy who can pop 15+ homers and has a .250/.310/.750 line. 

He had a down year last year, but he came on strong at the end of the year. I throw out the 2020 numbers for basically everyone because it was such an outlier season with the amount of games and circumstances being played under. 

Up until then, he was giving you high end production almost every year and has a better track record than a lot of the 2nd tier DH options like Pederson, Rosario, etc. and came much cheaper.

I think we could be getting a real steal here against RHP.

• Like 1

Looking at this Cardinal roster and predicting what the 26-man might look like, I don't see how this team wins more than 85 games this year. The rotation scares the crap out of me and I can't believe Mo hasn't added someone to this roster. There's no way we can expect a 200+ inning season from Wainwright, Flaherty is going to miss at minimum one month of the season, Mikolas hasn't been healthy in 2 years and last year Dakota Hudson threw like 8 innings up here, no way we can expect any more than 120-130 from him this year. 

Hoping Drew VerHagen surprises everyone like Mikolas did a few years ago when we signed him out of Japan. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?