The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

So heard on the radio today...so yes, take this with a grain of salt...that  even with Oquendo back, coaches are still having to pretty much drag the players out for extra infield practice. That’s pretty disappointing to hear. 

Seems like Mo is going to do a shakeup soon, hopefully Mabry gets fired, but he should of been fired last year. To me, if he wants it...I’m hiring Edmonds as the hitting coach, yesterday. 

What are some shakeups that you guys would like to see? Any trade proposals? Coach firing? 

3 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

So heard on the radio today...so yes, take this with a grain of salt...that  even with Oquendo back, coaches are still having to pretty much drag the players out for extra infield practice. That’s pretty disappointing to hear. 

Seems like Mo is going to do a shakeup soon, hopefully Mabry gets fired, but he should of been fired last year. To me, if he wants it...I’m hiring Edmonds as the hitting coach, yesterday. 

What are some shakeups that you guys would like to see? Any trade proposals? Coach firing? 

The only one who needs to be fired is Matheny.  And that should have been done this past offseason.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The only one who needs to be fired is Matheny.  And that should have been done this past offseason.

True. But I still Believe these legal issues MM Is in, has a lot more to do with him getting hired and still employed with the organization than a lot of people think or want to believe. 

4 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

True. But I still Believe these legal issues MM Is in, has a lot more to do with him getting hired and still employed with the organization than a lot of people think or want to believe. 

Legal issues?  Did I miss something?

31 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Legal issues?  Did I miss something?

MM owes a ton of money (over $4 million) from a lost court battle with a bank over a failed real estate investment. He and Mabry were in it together. Which is probably why he got hired in the first place, Dewitt knew he could get him for cheap. 

Brutal news for Reyes.  Heart-breaking for that kid.  

In other news, I got to go to my second game of the year yesterday, this time with my 8yo daughter.  Man...afternoon baseball with your kid and a Cardinals win...not much better than that.  Also, Jose Martinez has hit a home run in the first inning of both games I've been to.  I'll be sure to let you all know the next time I head to the game so you can start him on your fantasy teams.  You're welcome.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

So does anyone understand why Knizner and Kelly are both in Triple-A? Seems like you’re slowing Their development. 

Kelly is caught in between right now. He needs to be playing everyday, but really has nothing left to prove at AAA. However, he can't be up at MLB level, as he's going to sit 5-6 out of every 7 days w/ Molina playing and Honestly, Fransisco Pena has been much better in the limited opportunities..

We would be smart to move Kelly sooner than later IMO... 

21 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

MM owes a ton of money (over $4 million) from a lost court battle with a bank over a failed real estate investment. He and Mabry were in it together. Which is probably why he got hired in the first place, Dewitt knew he could get him for cheap. 

I thought they ended up settling this out of court?

11 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

So does anyone understand why Knizner and Kelly are both in Triple-A? Seems like you’re slowing Their development. 

I don't have any good reasoning behind it, other than Carson Kelly was with the big league club.  Knizner really has nothing more to prove at AA, so you figure they're going to continue to push him.  Not sure what this does about Carson Kelly though.  He's losing trade value by the day.

Finally got a chance to look at our picks...here are my thoughts.

I truly do believe the Cardinals intended to draft a SP with their first pick, and I really do wonder who the Cardinals would have taken had Brady Singer been still on the board when the Cardinals would have picked at 19.  That being said, this is the 3rd year in a row where we've drafted a high school positional player with our first first round pick.  Nolan Gorman has massive power, and it's not just potential. It's an easy translate.  He's got some swing and miss to his game, which is expected but it doesn't seem to have that same kind of issues that Jacob Gatewood had coming out of high school.  Defensively, he should stick at third until later in his career.  Slot for this pick is a bit over $3.2M, and I"m guessing he'll need a little bit over that to sign so I'd guess around $1.5M.

I had a bit of mixed emotions with the Griffin Roberts pick at first.  A two-pitch pitcher with control issues doesn't exactly give me a ton of confidence that you can develop him into a starter, but if a realistic floor is a late-inning reliever that isn't the worst.  While his fastball is pretty good (think I've seen 60 grade), his slider is his best pitch and arguably the the best off-speed pitch in the draft.  He's really shown the ability to be a starter for one year, and his control issues are still going to be a question mark but there's worse gambles to make.  Worst case scenario, he flames out because he can't really harness his stuff but the stuff will get him up the ladder.  Slot is a bit under $1.7M, and I'd anticipate him getting around slot.  Maybe slightly above slot.

Luken Baker is an interesting pick.  The Cardinals aren't afraid of the 1B-only types that I thought they avoided in past years, and if Luken Baker had stayed healthy we're probably talking about a top 20 pick.  Like Gorman, he's got massive power and should hit for a reasonably high average.  Doesn't really offer much on the basepath, and limited to first  base defensively given his size.  I wouldn't be surprised they aggressively pushed him to Palm Beach to start the year.

• Like 1

Supposedly the Cardinals also signed Nick Dunn, although I haven't found anything yet.  The fact that we got Gorman at slot is HUGE.  I'd anticipate that Matthew Duce is pretty much near a 5k bonus, which is what we've historically paid our 5th year seniors that are drafted towards the tail end of that second day.  That'd be close to 145k saved if that's the case.  Mateo Gill is probably the toughest sign in the top 10.

Looks like Edmundo Sosa might be creeping his way back into the prospect Convo again. 

In Springfield this year...

.283 BA, .321 OBP, 7 homers, 14 doubles, 1 triple

- would like to see him walk more, 3.8% walk-rate is pretty ugly. Seems to have a bit more pop in his bat this year, XBH every 9.9 ABs compared to every 17.5 ABs last year. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?