The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

5 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

#19 seems a bit early for Lugo but I’ve heard his name before to the Cardinals. Maybe from Keith Law, can’t really remember. 

Would prefer Quinn Preister or Will Wilson of the players listed above. And I know Keith Law has mentioned the Cards being in on Maurice Hampton quite a few times. He’s to Raw for my liking though. 

Historically speaking, the Cardinals seem to prefer either toolsy HS position players with advanced bat or a college SP with strong control skills and at least two plus pitches.  I keep seeing the Cardinals linked to Will Wilson, and it seems like someone the Cardinals wouldn't take.  The last time they took a college bat in the first round was James Ramsey in 2012.  The last time they took a college bat with their first pick was Kolton Wong in 2011.  I think it's a HS bat or a college arm.  I think my dream would be Josh Jung, but I don't think he'll fall.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Historically speaking, the Cardinals seem to prefer either toolsy HS position players with advanced bat or a college SP with strong control skills and at least two plus pitches.  I keep seeing the Cardinals linked to Will Wilson, and it seems like someone the Cardinals wouldn't take.  The last time they took a college bat in the first round was James Ramsey in 2012.  The last time they took a college bat with their first pick was Kolton Wong in 2011.  I think it's a HS bat or a college arm.  I think my dream would be Josh Jung, but I don't think he'll fall.

Yeah I think Josh Jung is my #1 guy as well. My top 8ish would look something like...

1. Josh Jung 3B

2. Bryson Stott SS

3. Corbin Carroll OF 

4. Brennan Malone RHP

5. Brett Baty 3B

6. George Kirby RHP

7. Quinn Preister RHP

8. Daniel Espino RHP

9. Will Wilson SS 

With that said....they’ll probably take like Gunnar Henderson or Kody Hoese or something. Kirby seems like a more traditional Cardinals pick, safe pick who probably moves through the minors pretty quickly. But Flores seems to be willing to take more risks than in the past. 

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Yeah I think Josh Jung is my #1 guy as well. My top 8ish would look something like...

1. Josh Jung 3B

2. Bryson Stott SS

3. Corbin Carroll OF 

4. Brennan Malone RHP

5. Brett Baty 3B

6. George Kirby RHP

7. Quinn Preister RHP

8. Daniel Espino RHP

9. Will Wilson SS 

With that said....they’ll probably take like Gunnar Henderson or Kody Hoese or something. Kirby seems like a more traditional Cardinals pick, safe pick who probably moves through the minors pretty quickly. But Flores seems to be willing to take more risks than in the past. 

Kirby does sound like a pretty Cardinal pick.  I'm leery about Carroll given how many guys we've invested in recent years.  Brennan Malone is interesting, seems kinda like McKenzie Gore a few years ago.  Almost wonder if it'd be worth going underslot at 19, and then try and get a few bonuses in there.

Zach Thompson is 1st pick. Lefty out of Kentucky. Can throw four pitches, slider is a wipeout pitch...

Sits at 91-92 with the fastball, but can touch 95. Scouts calling him most polished and advanced pitcher in draft. Expected to rise quickly..

Ceiling is a number 2 or 3...

I’m ok with the Thompson pick but would of preferred some other pitchers still on the board....I would of taken Brennan Malone, Daniel Espino or George Kirby before Thompson. 

Thompson doesn’t really have a plus pitch, but it sounds like his slider has the potential to be one. He’s had elbow issues in the past which is obviously concerning....And he was a Cubs fan growing up, but I guess I’ll try not to hold that against him lol

sounds like our 2nd round pick Trejyen Fletcher could be a tough sign. 

52 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I’m ok with the Thompson pick but would of preferred some other pitchers still on the board....I would of taken Brennan Malone, Daniel Espino or George Kirby before Thompson. 

Thompson doesn’t really have a plus pitch, but it sounds like his slider has the potential to be one. He’s had elbow issues in the past which is obviously concerning....And he was a Cubs fan growing up, but I guess I’ll try not to hold that against him lol

sounds like our 2nd round pick Trejyen Fletcher could be a tough sign. 

Thompson is prototypical pick we love. A big conference (SEC) pitcher. Arm injury was early on in his college career and non surgical, so not a big red flag...

Fletcher will be tough sign, as he's committed to Vandy. Will have to go overslot potentially. He's an elite athlete...

43 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Cabrera needs to go back down to Memphis. Man Gomber could of not gotten hurt at a worse time. We need to bring up Ponce. 

And just like that....Cabrera has been sent down and Helsley called up. Guess this means Wacha back in the rotation. 

Not really sure if that’s any better. 

Edited by holt_bruce81

14 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

And just like that....Cabrera has been sent down and Helsley called up. Guess this means Wacha back in the rotation. 

Not really sure if that’s any better. 

I'd think Helsley is getting called up to fortify the BP the next few games...

When the open rotation spot come up for a start again, we might see another move made. I don't see us going right back to Wacha. He's a mess...

I'd love to go after a legit FOR guy. Our back end of the rotation has been surprisingly not hot garbage but we don't have anyone I'd trust to lead a rotation. I don't even have a guess at who we could go after, though. Stroman? MadBum? Neither strikes me with tons of confidence.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?