The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

14 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

This team hasn’t hit since May 1st. It’s been a rough 2 months for this offense...

May: .232/.316/.373

June: .228/.293/.374

Thats gross.

Really concerned about Molina. He doesn't look healthy with the thumb. He's 27% below major league average offensively right now. He has a .662 OPS...

Our 1-3 and 6-8 are scaring no one for the last 2 months...

This is crazy, but hear me out.

I understand that TJS is never a good thing for a pitcher, but it could work out pretty well for Hicks.

He's young, he'll miss all of this season and probably won't be 100% until the end of next year. But, in his recovery maybe he'll have to pitch with a little more control. He may lose the 105 heat, but that was never sustainable anyway. Even if he drops down to just 99-100, with a little more control. He'll still have the slider. It doesn't matter if the velocity drop is 25 or 20, he'll still be nasty.

.....or his career just ended. 

Also, our bullpen is good and reinforcements better be coming for the rotation, which will help the pen too. 

15 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

.....or his career just ended. 

Dude, its TJS in 2019, I dont think this is really even on the table. He may have to be a bit of a different pitcher when he comes back, but as long as he still has some of that movement (whihc he should be focusing on over MPH anyway) then he will be a solid BP Arm atleast.

a Large amount of Pitchers have TJS these days. Im not all that worried about it. He will just be out of sight out of mind until the 2021 season for me

16 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Dude, its TJS in 2019, I dont think this is really even on the table. He may have to be a bit of a different pitcher when he comes back, but as long as he still has some of that movement (whihc he should be focusing on over MPH anyway) then he will be a solid BP Arm atleast.

a Large amount of Pitchers have TJS these days. Im not all that worried about it. He will just be out of sight out of mind until the 2021 season for me

I was joking mostly. I tried to juxtapose since I was so crazy optimistic in that post.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I’m wondering if the coaching staff is feeding these guys to much information. Is that even a thing? Are these guys thinking to much up at the plate? 

If this was a 1 off kind of thing, than I think it could've been the case...

This has been a 3-4 year ongoing issue now with the offense. Several coaching changes and guys specifically brought in to help correct this...

The common denominator still remains: same core of players...

It's a player issue IMO. To many similar players...

17 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

The common denominator still remains: same core of players...

It's a player issue IMO. To many similar players...

Except its not anymore, How do you explain Goldschmidt? Adding Ozuna and then him, and also infusing Bader this is a very different lineup than when we had before.

Its not Carp at 1st, Jedd at 3rd and 3 of the same type of hitters that we picked for the OF that night Fowler/Pham/Piscotty/Grichuck

These guys just need to figure it out, they are professionals, time to hit

43 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Except its not anymore, How do you explain Goldschmidt? Adding Ozuna and then him, and also infusing Bader this is a very different lineup than when we had before.

Its not Carp at 1st, Jedd at 3rd and 3 of the same type of hitters that we picked for the OF that night Fowler/Pham/Piscotty/Grichuck

These guys just need to figure it out, they are professionals, time to hit

Goldy and Bader are really the only outliers...

Everyone else, including Ozuna has been part of this downturn for more than just this year...

It's not a FO or coaching issue was my point. It's a player issue. At the end of the day it's on them to perform...

• Like 1

Zack Thompson made his pro debut today...

1.0 IP, 2 hits, 1 run, 0 earned, 0 walks, 2 strikeouts 

Still not a huge fan of this pick. I absolutely hate his delivery and his history of arm issues. Probably would of rather drafted Ethan Small honestly. Thompson’s elbow is a ticking time bomb. 

Hopefully he’s in the Cards rotation in a few years dominating and I’m eating my words. 

Edited by holt_bruce81

As if things couldn’t get any worse....Marcell Ozuna is headed to the IL with what I’m guessing is a sprained or broken finger. He jammed his fingers diving back to the 1st base bag. 

Looks like Tyler O’Neil is going to be called up. Such a blah call up for me, I guess I’m excited and hopeful that he gets some lengthy playing time so we can actually see if O’Neil is part of the future plans. Not expecting much though. Kinda thinking he hits like .220 with a K-rate around 35-40%. 

Would rather call up Dylan Carlson or Randy Arozarena. I think Carlson is the best OF prospect we have and think he’s light years ahead of O’Neil as far as pitch recognition. And I’m a big fan of Randy. I think his speed and his flair could rejuvenate this offense. 

But go Tyler O’Neil....

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?