The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

The fact that DeJong is our All Star representative over Hohn Gant is a shame...

Gant has been terrific and really only one on active roster (excluding Ozuna) who deserves it...

This is why I hate that each team has to have a representative at the game. DeJong is not an All-Star. I’m happy for him, but there were other players more deserving. 

6 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

This is why I hate that each team has to have a representative at the game. DeJong is not an All-Star. I’m happy for him, but there were other players more deserving. 

Agreed 100%. Another example of this is Sandy Alcantara for the Marlins. Has no place on All Star team, yet is there over others...

7 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Really? if you cant make the Top 30 players between Fan and Player votes plus the obvious Coaches choices then are you really "deserving" of an all star spot?

Im not saying that DeJong "deserves" to be there over anyone else who didnt make it, but atleast the 'every team represented' rule makes more sense (seeing as this is for fan entertainment) than bickering about the last guy or two on the roster. There are no real snubs when talking about the #32/33 players from one half of the league

But as far as the Birds representatives, if we had to force someone in there, I would have liked it to be Wong. Reward stellar defense a bit.

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Really? if you cant make the Top 30 players between Fan and Player votes plus the obvious Coaches choices then are you really "deserving" of an all star spot?

Im not saying that DeJong "deserves" to be there over anyone else who didnt make it, but atleast the 'every team represented' rule makes more sense (seeing as this is for fan entertainment) than bickering about the last guy or two on the roster. There are no real snubs when talking about the #32/33 players from one half of the league

But as far as the Birds representatives, if we had to force someone in there, I would have liked it to be Wong. Reward stellar defense a bit.

Really? So you’re saying Tatis Jr. and Strasburg weren’t snubbed? Both are way more deserving than any player the Cards or Marlins have. 

And they do reward stellar defense all the time. 

Some questions I have for the 2nd half...

1. What do you guys think they should do with Bader. Is his defense enough where you’d be ok with a .210 BA/.300 OBP? Would you send him down to Memphis to work on some things? Would you call up Arozarena and make Bader your 4th outfielder/defensive replacement? 

2. How long do you give Matt Carpenter to find his swing? Especially if Munoz and/or Edman keep producing. I’m a big Matt Carpenter fan and believe his numbers will be there at the end of the season. This isn’t an Allen Craig situation where a players exit velo and hard contact% just dropped significantly in one season. 

3. What do you do to fix the rotation? You should know by now that I think Carlos Martinez needs to be in the rotation. The Bullpen will be just fine without him. Make John Gant or Giovanny Gallegos your Closer. I’d send Wacha down to Memphis in hope that he can figure things out. 

4 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Some questions I have for the 2nd half...

1. What do you guys think they should do with Bader. Is his defense enough where you’d be ok with a .210 BA/.300 OBP? Would you send him down to Memphis to work on some things? Would you call up Arozarena and make Bader your 4th outfielder/defensive replacement? 

2. How long do you give Matt Carpenter to find his swing? Especially if Munoz and/or Edman keep producing. I’m a big Matt Carpenter fan and believe his numbers will be there at the end of the season. This isn’t an Allen Craig situation where a players exit velo and hard contact% just dropped significantly in one season. 

3. What do you do to fix the rotation? You should know by now that I think Carlos Martinez needs to be in the rotation. The Bullpen will be just fine without him. Make John Gant or Giovanny Gallegos your Closer. I’d send Wacha down to Memphis in hope that he can figure things out. 

I basically agree with everything you threw out. 

1. I think we have to keep him up for the energy and defense he brings, but shouldn't be starting. I'd send him down for a little and give Randy a shot but I'd plan on getting him back up for a postseason run. 

2. Carp is tough because he is one of the faces of the franchise. I honestly think we just have to gut through it until he gets it going, but at the same time we also need to find ways to get Edman/Munoz playing time. 

3. Carlos absolutely needs to be in the rotation. That or make a trade for someone, but moving Carlos would be the easiest and most logical solution. Gallegos would get my vote for closer because I like having Gant available for innings 5-8, but I'd be fine with either. 

5 hours ago, JonStark said:

I basically agree with everything you threw out. 

1. I think we have to keep him up for the energy and defense he brings, but shouldn't be starting. I'd send him down for a little and give Randy a shot but I'd plan on getting him back up for a postseason run. 

2. Carp is tough because he is one of the faces of the franchise. I honestly think we just have to gut through it until he gets it going, but at the same time we also need to find ways to get Edman/Munoz playing time. 

3. Carlos absolutely needs to be in the rotation. That or make a trade for someone, but moving Carlos would be the easiest and most logical solution. Gallegos would get my vote for closer because I like having Gant available for innings 5-8, but I'd be fine with either. 

Yeah I’m in agreement here mostly. The only reason I think Gant could Close is because I think Ponce could fill his spot in the BP as that multi-inning guy quite nicely. But if you don’t want to move that many pieces around, then I’m fine with Gallegos. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Some news coming down today...

Tyler Webb to Memphis 

Jordan Hicks to 60 day IL

Chasen Shreve and Andrew Knizner called up. 

- Wonder what the other move is going to be. Is Yadi going to the IL? Hope they aren’t calling up Knizner to rot on the bench. 

Yadi did get sent to IL...

According to MLB.com's Jon Morosi, the Cardinals are "poised to pursue" Will Smith at the trade deadline.

Per Morosi, the Cardinals were involved in "serious discussions" for Smith during the offseason and figure to have renewed interest in the left-hander leading up to the July 31 deadline

6 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

According to MLB.com's Jon Morosi, the Cardinals are "poised to pursue" Will Smith at the trade deadline.

Per Morosi, the Cardinals were involved in "serious discussions" for Smith during the offseason and figure to have renewed interest in the left-hander leading up to the July 31 deadline

Only makes sense if they’re planning on moving Carlos to the rotation. Our BP is the least of my concerns. 

• Like 1

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?