The STL Cardinals Thread - Is It The Offseason Yet?

CWood21

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Between St. Louis and Memphis, you've got Dexter Fowler, Randy Arozarena, Harrison Bader, Tyler O'Neill, and Dylan Carlson who are locked in whether it be because of contract, draft pick status, etc.  We probably the start the year with an OF with Harrison Bader, Tyler O'Neill, and Dexter Fowler as our starting OFs.  In Memphis, you've got Dylan Carlson and Justin Williams who are going probably going to get the majority of the nods in the OF.  Arozarena probably could be in either.

Dont think you can cross off Ozuna at this point

1 minute ago, holt_bruce81 said:

You think they trade Jose in the off-season or are you hoping one of these young guys step up and Jose goes back to the bench?

I mean, they don't really have anything tying him to the roster in 2020.  He's been a below-average bat this year with his 95 wRC+.  He's a bench bat at this point.  You're probably using one of the bench spots on him, one on Knizner, one on O'Neill/Arozarena, and then one of Munoz.

3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Dont think you can cross off Ozuna at this point

I'd put good money on him not being back.  Spotrac is projecting him at 5 years, $98M and I wouldn't be surprised if he got more.  He's a ~3 WAR player right now, and that 5 WAR of his 2017 season seems unsustainable.  I just see someone who is going to get offered more money than Mo is going to want to spend.

31 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Cardinals haven't really shown any interest in resigning him though. Unless you can get rid of some guys, I think Ozuna is as good as gone. 

This really means absolutely nothing at this point. As soon as they got into the season they werent going to resign him, and with him not proving anything last year, they werent going to extend him before the season. Not to mention he has moved on from Boras, so we can have legitimate negotiations this offseason compared to last.

28 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd put good money on him not being back.  Spotrac is projecting him at 5 years, $98M and I wouldn't be surprised if he got more.  He's a ~3 WAR player right now, and that 5 WAR of his 2017 season seems unsustainable.  I just see someone who is going to get offered more money than Mo is going to want to spend.

Spotrac is on drugs, hes not getting close to a $100m contract. He would have had to be in the hunt for HR champion for something like that. The QO will probably be $18m and I dont think anyone is even giving him that much on a long term deal. Others are projecting him more of a Reddick or Pollock contract, which is much more realistic. Ive seen short term, Marwin Gonzalez comps thrown out there for him .Dont think hes that low, but with another extended injury this year after last years debacle, plus the up and down offensive production (even with the power surge back) He's not a blockbuster Free Agent.

A 4y/$56m is a realistic range for him. And with what we have given up to get him, they arent just going to let him walk without trying to sign him. Id love for him to take the QO if we slap it on him, short term/high dollars is fine, its when you give out long term money to guys who dont deserve it where you get in trouble (Fowler). 

If we wanted more dollars, a 2 year/$34m could be a doable deal, but hes not going to have alot of teams willing to give 5 year deals, and those that would arent champing at the bit to give him those high dollars. (especially if we give him a QO)

Edited by StLunatic88

Bader has really turned it on the last 10 games...

.375 BA (15/40), 479 OBP, 3 doubles, 6 homers, 12 RBI

And of course Dylan Carlson is off to a good start in his Triple-A career...

.417 BA (7/17), .474 OBP, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 1 homer, 2 RBI

Edited by holt_bruce81

13 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Bader has really turned it on the last 10 games...

.375 BA (15/40), 479 OBP, 3 doubles, 6 homers, 12 RBI

And of course Dylan Carlson is off to a good start in his Triple-A career...

.417 BA (7/17), .474 OBP, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 1 homer, 2 RBI

Another good game tonight for both these guys. 

Carlson 3/4 with 3 base hits and a walk. Bader 1/4 with a walk and a homer. 

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Bader called up, Arozarena sent down. 

Harrison Bader bobblehead day August 22nd. ¬¬

I'm glad Randy got some at bats so we could see what he could do....

Actually, I'm not too broken up about this. I hope they do put Bader in the lineup, though. There's no point in calling him up to sit the bench.

• Like 1