The STL Cardinals Thread - Is It The Offseason Yet?

CWood21

9 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ive expressed my thoughts on the first part, but its alot easier to say "what if we signed Donaldson" than the reality of actually getting him in here.

As soon as we added Goldschmidt (which was the top priority) and we already had Carpenter/Gyorko/Munoz on the roster, there was no chance we would land JD. He was looking for playing time and at bats to rebuild his value. That was no longer an option here.

Yeah I think everyone understands the reasons why the Cardinals didn't go after him. But sometimes it's nice to play the "what if" game. Sometimes I need to feel that pain. 

4 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Yeah I think everyone understands the reasons why the Cardinals didn't go after him. But sometimes it's nice to play the "what if" game. Sometimes I need to feel that pain. 

I get it, I do it all the time. Im just pointing out , that "What If" might actually come down to 1 year of Josh Donaldson (and no extension to Carp) vs Trading for and Locking up Goldschmidt.

Kind of a no brainer there

38 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ive expressed my thoughts on the first part, but its alot easier to say "what if we signed Donaldson" than the reality of actually getting him in here.

As soon as we added Goldschmidt (which was the top priority) and we already had Carpenter/Gyorko/Munoz on the roster, there was no chance we would land JD. He was looking for playing time and at bats to rebuild his value. That was no longer an option here.

No doubt. It's all hindsight now, but just seems like we'd been connected to him forever...

I still hate the Carp extension, as it made no sense given we still controlled him and his into his 30's. However, I don't think he's truly in decline as much as he's been this season...

I think he'll be better next year, but just how much better is the question...

• Like 1

I know this isn't going to be a popular sentiment, but Dexter Fowler has quietly had a nice season....

Not a great year, as some of the advanced metrics like exit velo and hard hit balls in play are low, but his peripherals are solid and right on pace with his career norms...

He's been even better since being inserted in the leadoff spot...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I know this isn't going to be a popular sentiment, but Dexter Fowler has quietly had a nice season....

Not a great year, as some of the advanced metrics like exit velo and hard hit balls in play are low, but his peripherals are solid and right on pace with his career norms...

He's been even better since being inserted in the leadoff spot...

And he seems to be about our most clutch hitter too. I know that is kind of a objective thing, but it seems like he passes the eye test in that area.

On 8/8/2019 at 7:59 AM, StLunatic88 said:

We now have the next 9 against sub .500 teams, some of the worst out there right now. If we only get 4/5 wins before playing the Brewers, then yes this team is done. But when they go 7-2 or better and you are all pumped going into the Milwaukee series, Im going to remind you all of how you gave up on everything because of a bad West Coast trip. Not to mention, outside for the 2 Brewers series, we have 27 of the next 33 games against sub .500 teams that are mostly out of any races. This team is far from out of it, but im glad you all have thrown in the towel on the entire franchise because we didnt pick up Tanner Roark.

Now that we are into the second Brewers series that I was referencing, it felt pertinent to revisit this point. Ill admit calling y'all out for throwing in the towel was a bit much, btut it was the same overreaction the opposite way of how many were acting.

So how do you feel now 3 weeks removed from that West Coast road trip? After a pair of 5-game winning streaks, a 14-3 record, a 2.5 game lead in the division, and Mikolas/Flaherty up next in this MIL series?

This all with Carp barely hovering over the Mendoza line (who, for the record, I still think we need to keep running out there till he gets out of this funk)