The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yep it just quantifies how much of a discount you're getting. The $/WAR price is closer to $9 or $10M now. 

I would note that at the trade deadline teams pay close to double for WAR because there's no FA market, and then you can discount future season at something like 5% a year. Realistically though, when you're making prospect for player trades, the error bars on prospect grades outweighs any of the other modifications you might make to just the straight WAR*dollars calc.

Has Point of Pittsburgh had any update on prospect values?  The one I've been using was from last year.

A quote I found interesting from earlier in the season...

"I don't think you give somebody a contract for no reason," Wong said. "When you are given a contract, you are expected to get a chance to work through some things and figure yourself out. Josh Donaldson, Jose Bautista, all these guys never figured their stuff out until later on down the road. It's the big leagues. It's tough, man. For me, the biggest thing is I just need people to have my back. When that comes, it will be good. But, I think right now, it's just staying with my play, understanding I'm working toward getting myself more consistent, understanding what kind of player I can be. If that's going to be with another team, so be it."

Wong was asked to clarify what sounded like an interest in being traded.

"I just feel like, you know, my time here, it's almost limited," he said. "So, we will see what happens. I don't know what's going on. No one has told me anything. I'm just working hard, doing what I gotta do to get myself ready for whatever happens."

Bernie Miklasz recently told a story about when Oquendo was still on the big league staff, he could see the team defense struggling and wanted to put in some extra practice. A few of the players went to Matheny and complained about it. The infield practice was then canceled. 

Here's my thoughts on the whole Molina thing:

1] Matheny could have avoided the whole issue by simply saying:  'we want Kelly to catch Weaver, as they've worked together all year in Memphis. Yadi will get a day off and be back in there tomorrow'

2] Molina is really this butt hurt to go to SM and not just address with Matheny behind closed doors? Seriously? if that's the case this transitioning to Kelly over the next few years will be a disaster, as he's only going to get more and more days off at catcher.

3] Molina needs to clarify his response. Is he truly calling out Matheny, or the reporter in this instance? He left it vague, as Matheny never actually called him 'tired' it was implied in the piece (although it was evident that's what was meant). 

20 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Here's my thoughts on the whole Molina thing:

It boils back to the whole going to the media thing about saying Yadi looked tired.  If that's an issue, you address it with Yadi directly.  Or go the media and say something along the lines that they wanted Kelly to catch Weaver due to their level of familiarity from Memphis.

Just now, CWood21 said:

It boils back to the whole going to the media thing about saying Yadi looked tired.  If that's an issue, you address it with Yadi directly.  Or go the media and say something along the lines that they wanted Kelly to catch Weaver due to their level of familiarity from Memphis.

That's exactly what I said, MM could have avoided the whole situation by saying exactly what I said in my previous post. It would have never been an issue then.

If you're Molina though, taking it to SM is about the most childish thing you can do as an athlete. Address it with MM in a private setting, or if you're having issues w/ MM go to Girsch/Mo. It's not like a future HOF won't be able to voice his opinion to any of those 3...

The whole thing is asinine. I can't believe we're at this point...

33 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

That's exactly what I said, MM could have avoided the whole situation by saying exactly what I said in my previous post. It would have never been an issue then.

If you're Molina though, taking it to SM is about the most childish thing you can do as an athlete. Address it with MM in a private setting, or if you're having issues w/ MM go to Girsch/Mo. It's not like a future HOF won't be able to voice his opinion to any of those 3...

The whole thing is asinine. I can't believe we're at this point...

Haven't been here in a while but this is what I saw. 

I do think the narrative is that most fans believe he is tired and overworked and that we should be giving Carson a chance.  

3 minutes ago, yoinesh123 said:

Well this might explain the Molina situation 

If that's what he is mad about then he shouldn't halfass it around the bases. He looked like a 60 year old man running home the other night. It was a bad look and I don't do this often but MM is completely right here. and honestly he didn't even say anything that bad, but a player like Molina (this is all my speculation here) feels he can dismiss MM or go over his head, throwing that out in a media session is going to be the only thing that really gets his attention. And guess what, it did. 

I know he is currently being paid as the Franchise player, but this crap is not acceptable from that guy. I mean give me a freaking break, you had to whine about it on social media? All Yadi had to do and the face of the franchise was say "I feel great, didn't think I gave the impression I was tired, I'm ready to play 174 games, I'll make sure no one thinks that again"

Same ststement, but it has class to it and he doesn't sound like a butt hurt teenage girl. 

Andbif he is truly threatened by Carson Kelly? We have a much bigger problem here

53 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

If that's what he is mad about then he shouldn't halfass it around the bases. He looked like a 60 year old man running home the other night. It was a bad look and I don't do this often but MM is completely right here. and honestly he didn't even say anything that bad, but a player like Molina (this is all my speculation here) feels he can dismiss MM or go over his head, throwing that out in a media session is going to be the only thing that really gets his attention. And guess what, it did. 

I know he is currently being paid as the Franchise player, but this crap is not acceptable from that guy. I mean give me a freaking break, you had to whine about it on social media? All Yadi had to do and the face of the franchise was say "I feel great, didn't think I gave the impression I was tired, I'm ready to play 174 games, I'll make sure no one thinks that again"

Same ststement, but it has class to it and he doesn't sound like a butt hurt teenage girl. 

Andbif he is truly threatened by Carson Kelly? We have a much bigger problem here

I think he was annoyed mostly at the media because of the Matheny comments in the paper. When he was answering questions, it was confirmed Matheny and him hadn't met yet. 

33 minutes ago, yoinesh123 said:

I think he was annoyed mostly at the media because of the Matheny comments in the paper. When he was answering questions, it was confirmed Matheny and him hadn't met yet. 

Who cares who he was mad at (it's definitely matheny, how does being mad at the media there make any since, they are just reporting the quote) it's a clown move and Yadi should know better. For once MM didn't back off his comments today, and neither did Yadi.

Get your popcorn boys, this could get interesting 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?