The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

15 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

This team sucks. Even at full strength, they couldn’t beat a team worth a damn. The offense is a flat out joke and there’s no excuse for it. Fire Jeff Albert or something. Don’t keep doing the same stuff over and over or Shildt can see his way out the door as well. Still don’t think he ever deserved it anyway. 

I saw something posted somewhere else about this team not really being built to contend this year. After seeing how we’ve looked this far, I can’t say I’d disagree. Next year, other the other hand, We’ve got a lot of big contracts coming off the books, an exciting crop of young guys coming up, and have seen some signs of improvement for guys this year. This year seems like a swan song for Waino and Yadi. 

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I saw something posted somewhere else about this team not really being built to contend this year. After seeing how we’ve looked this far, I can’t say I’d disagree. Next year, other the other hand, We’ve got a lot of big contracts coming off the books, an exciting crop of young guys coming up, and have seen some signs of improvement for guys this year. This year seems like a swan song for Waino and Yadi. 

The biggest issue I had is that we knew we were a SP short to begin the year, and almost immediately our SP faltered.

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Don’t look now, but Delvin Perez is starting to string some things together. He’s in Springfield right now. He might be sniffing around the bigs next year.

He's almost certainly going to be Rule V eligible this offseason, so it'll be interesting to see if he gets pushed to Memphis this year.  If he does, he almost assuredly gets protected.  I've been paying attention to him with a pessimistic viewpoint given his struggles for the large majority of his career.  I don't think he's ever going to be anything more an a bottom-of-the-order hitter, but as long as he plays strong defense up the middle he probably has a place in the big leagues.  He's posting his career best line since his first year in the system, and more importantly he's showing some pop (.114 ISO), and his K% rate isn't drastically shooting up.  It's up about 3% despite his ISO doubling from 2019.

On 6/19/2021 at 4:33 PM, CWood21 said:

He's almost certainly going to be Rule V eligible this offseason, so it'll be interesting to see if he gets pushed to Memphis this year.  If he does, he almost assuredly gets protected.

Id be pretty surprised if he wasnt protected.

Feels like this team might be in for a overhaul at the Major League level, and could clear a decent mount of 40-man slots

22 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Id be pretty surprised if he wasnt protected.

Feels like this team might be in for a overhaul at the Major League level, and could clear a decent mount of 40-man slots

Plus, I think the FO wants him to work out for us pretty badly. He definitely seems to be trending upwards. It would stink to lose someone who we’ve invested so much into.

• Like 1

So if I'm Mike Schildt and I see how the offense has been sputtering over the last 4-6 weeks, would you not try to shake it up a little bit? If nothing else to send a message.

He keeps 1-6 in the order basically the same every game during this stretch. I'd move some guys around the line-up and see if it motivates/fuels anyone. You got to try something at least...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

So if I'm Mike Schildt and I see how the offense has been sputtering over the last 4-6 weeks, would you not try to shake it up a little bit? If nothing else to send a message.

He keeps 1-6 in the order basically the same every game during this stretch. I'd move some guys around the line-up and see if it motivates/fuels anyone. You got to try something at least...

Seems like he liked your idea. 

1. Carlson 
2. Goldy 
3. Arenado
4. O’Neil 
5. Molina
6. Edman
7. Nootbar 
8. DeJong 

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

This team is basically identical to the 2019 Cardinals and their 1st half. They way underperformed until the AS break and then got red hot down the stretch and rode it until the NLCS.

I'm hoping we see the same thing...

were so pitching inept right now though. So unless everyone got magically healthy after the ASB or we make a big move for a TOR guy I see us just sputtering the rest of this season. A few streaks to push toward the top of an underperforming NL Central, but probably falling short, a few games over .500

Is that the type of team that you use some top prospects to go get a big arm for? I'd have a hard time pushing those chips in

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

were so pitching inept right now though. So unless everyone got magically healthy after the ASB or we make a big move for a TOR guy I see us just sputtering the rest of this season. A few streaks to push toward the top of an underperforming NL Central, but probably falling short, a few games over .500

Is that the type of team that you use some top prospects to go get a big arm for? I'd have a hard time pushing those chips in

Not without getting some long-term pitchers out of it.  I've rolled around the idea of trying and going to get Max Scherzer, but the Nationals are going to want a legitimate prospect for him and with him being a pending FA I couldn't part with any notable prospects.  The problem is I don't think we're just one SP away from being a legitimate pitching team.  With Jack Flaherty on the DL, we've got Adam Wainwright and Kwang-hyun Kim as our only two legitimate SPs.  Carlos Martinez and John Gant can't stop issuing walks, and at this point both seem like better fits for the bullpen.  Right now, we've got 3 legit arms in the bullpen with Alex Reyes, Genesis Cabrera, and Giovanny Gallegos, but beyond that there isn't anything.

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Not without getting some long-term pitchers out of it.  I've rolled around the idea of trying and going to get Max Scherzer, but the Nationals are going to want a legitimate prospect for him and with him being a pending FA I couldn't part with any notable prospects.  The problem is I don't think we're just one SP away from being a legitimate pitching team.  With Jack Flaherty on the DL, we've got Adam Wainwright and Kwang-hyun Kim as our only two legitimate SPs.  Carlos Martinez and John Gant can't stop issuing walks, and at this point both seem like better fits for the bullpen.  Right now, we've got 3 legit arms in the bullpen with Alex Reyes, Genesis Cabrera, and Giovanny Gallegos, but beyond that there isn't anything.

We're not going after Scherzer IMO. I think he's a FA target in the off-season, but I don't see us trading for a rental. It's just not our nature. Mo/Girsch preach on acquiring guys with team control beyond the season.

The other big name I keep hearing that we're kicking tires on is Jose Berrios, but he's going to cost even more than Scherzer. I don't see us parting with the prospects it's going to take given how this team is performing as you and @StLunatic88have said.

I think we're gonna land a Kyle Gibson type pitcher and probably a BP arm or two around the deadline.

Honestly though, it's not going to matter how good the pitching is though if offense continues down this path. They're averaging under 3 runs a game over like the last 30 games. That's insanely terrible.  

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?