The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

35 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I would feel a lot better about Dejong as our  2B. If his defense remains the same, that is. Especially if we can land one of those big name SS(or if Perez can continue to make strides).

Would love to go after a Trevor Story or Corey Seager, I just can’t see this front office doing it. 

I think We need to be in the Starting Pitching market. Oviedo and Woodford could still use some seasoning in Memphis. So acquiring a SP in free agency would only benefit them long term. I want to be cautious with Dakota Hudson next year if the Cardinals have the opportunity to do so (Waino comes back, Kim resigns). Wouldn’t even mind if they treat him like they’re treating Reyes this year. 

I think We need to go after Max Scherzer this off-season. Throw like 2 years/$40 million at him (Might cost more I know) and then you’re talking about a top 3 of Flaherty - Scherzer - Reyes that could compete with anyone in the league. 

And I really Want to see the organization give Nolan Gorman every opportunity to make this team out of Spring Training. Stick him at 2B. Not quite sure where I would bat him, I know Shildt probably slides him into the 7th hole. Then you would allow Edman to be that Super utility bat for you. Which you could still find a way to get 400+ at bats for. Larussa always had a guy like that….Craig Paquette, Placido Polanco, Aaron Miles…..all played huge roles on those teams.

We need Relief pitching as well this off-season, I just don’t trust this front office to make a good BP signing. Would love them to give Evan Sisk a chance to make the team. I think He could solidify the left side of the Pen. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Would love to go after a Trevor Story or Corey Seager, I just can’t see this front office doing it. 

I think We need to be in the Starting Pitching market. Oviedo and Woodford could still use some seasoning in Memphis. So acquiring a SP in free agency would only benefit them long term. I want to be cautious with Dakota Hudson next year if the Cardinals have the opportunity to do so (Waino comes back, Kim resigns). Wouldn’t even mind if they treat him like they’re treating Reyes this year. 

I think We need to go after Max Scherzer this off-season. Throw like 2 years/$40 million at him (Might cost more I know) and then you’re talking about a top 3 of Flaherty - Scherzer - Reyes that could compete with anyone in the league. 

And I really Want to see the organization give Nolan Gorman every opportunity to make this team out of Spring Training. Stick him at 2B. Not quite sure where I would bat him, I know Shildt probably slides him into the 7th hole. Then you would allow Edman to be that Super utility bat for you. Which you could still find a way to get 400+ at bats for. Larussa always had a guy like that….Craig Paquette, Placido Polanco, Aaron Miles…..all played huge roles on those teams.

We need Relief pitching as well this off-season, I just don’t trust this front office to make a good BP signing. Would love them to give Evan Sisk a chance to make the team. I think He could solidify the left side of the Pen. 

We definitely need a starter and relief help. I'm not a big believer in Hudson either. 

6 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I guess I just dont understand this line of thinking? I know its not usually via Free Agency but in the past like 6 years, they are constantly going and getting a big name. This is the list of names they have added from outside the orginization sincer their last World Series appearance

• Nolan Arenado
  • Paul Goldschmidt
  • Marcel Ozuna
  • Dexter Fowler
  • Mike Leake
  • Jason Heyward
  • Jhonny Peralta

And on the tier just below that, there are still some other names they went out and spent money on;

• Kwang Hyun Kim
  • Andrew Miller
  • Miles Mikolas
  • Greg Holland
  • Brett Cecil
  • Seung Han Oh

These havent always worked out, but thats a different conversation. They have been willing to make moves (one way or another; trade/signing) and spend the money to do so.

What we really run up against, especially with the biggest signings, is the St Louis market. Alot of the younger guys just dont want to live here when they have the same opportunities on the coasts. You need to find the right type of guys, the baseball lifers like Goldy and Arenado. We had that forever with Pujols, Berkman, Walker, Beltran, Yadi etc. Thats something that we have to work against that most of the other Baseball powerhouses dont (even Chicago doesnt)

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

I guess I just dont understand this line of thinking? I know its not usually via Free Agency but in the past like 6 years, they are constantly going and getting a big name. This is the list of names they have added from outside the orginization sincer their last World Series appearance

• Nolan Arenado
  • Paul Goldschmidt
  • Marcel Ozuna
  • Dexter Fowler
  • Mike Leake
  • Jason Heyward
  • Jhonny Peralta

And on the tier just below that, there are still some other names they went out and spent money on;

• Kwang Hyun Kim
  • Andrew Miller
  • Miles Mikolas
  • Greg Holland
  • Brett Cecil
  • Seung Han Oh

These havent always worked out, but thats a different conversation. They have been willing to make moves (one way or another; trade/signing) and spend the money to do so.

What we really run up against, especially with the biggest signings, is the St Louis market. Alot of the younger guys just dont want to live here when they have the same opportunities on the coasts. You need to find the right type of guys, the baseball lifers like Goldy and Arenado. We had that forever with Pujols, Berkman, Walker, Beltran, Yadi etc. Thats something that we have to work against that most of the other Baseball powerhouses dont (even Chicago doesnt)

Never said the Cardinals don’t like to spend. I just Don’t see them investing $400+ million dollars on the left side of the infield…..this and I dont Think they’re ready to move on from DeJong.

But if they do, great, any of those guys would be a welcomed addition and I’d be very happy. 

Edited by holt_bruce81

That should effectively finish our Cardinals' draft signings.  The Cardinals have roughly 55k left, which means they could offer up 180k to get Elijah Cabell (17th round) or Xavier Casserila (20th round) to sign.  Both are unlikely to sign at this point.

Was looking at the SS market upcoming this offseason. One guy that isn't on lists (as he's still under control for 2 more seasons), but a guy I think could be right in our wheel house via the trade market would be Trea Turner. 

The Nats have both him and Juan Soto coming up to FA soon. I'm not sure they're going to be able to commit long-term to both. You would think Turner might get the lesser end of the deal in this.

Would cost a ton, but man wouldn't that be the type of hitter we need to cap off this line-up. He can legit hit anywhere in the line-up. 

8 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Oviedo hopefully can finish the season out in Memphis. The talent is definitely there, he just needs more development. 

He was definitely rushed to the bigs. Whatever happens to him after Jack and 🦎 👑 come back, I hope he dominates. I think it’s good for a young players development that when they get “demoted” to the pen or back to the minors that they dominate. Especially after struggling somewhat in a bigger role. He needs to see that he is still a stud, just maybe a little out of his depths right now. I’m still very excited about his future. He’s got it all, except results.

Nolan Gorman in his last 10 games…

.400 BA (16/40), .429 OBP, 2 doubles, 3 HR, 13 RBI 

That 89 wRC+ looks a lot better than the -24 he had about a month ago. 

Oh and Memphis has won 15 games in a row now. Would be nice if the Big League Club could pull that off as well! 

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Was looking at the SS market upcoming this offseason. One guy that isn't on lists (as he's still under control for 2 more seasons), but a guy I think could be right in our wheel house via the trade market would be Trea Turner. 

The Nats have both him and Juan Soto coming up to FA soon. I'm not sure they're going to be able to commit long-term to both. You would think Turner might get the lesser end of the deal in this.

Would cost a ton, but man wouldn't that be the type of hitter we need to cap off this line-up. He can legit hit anywhere in the line-up. 

Would love it. Turner and Carlson at the top of this lineup would look real nice. 

16 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Sounds like we'll be relatively quiet at the deadline. I think given where we're at in the standings, it's probably the right call.

Even with potentially getting Mikolas and Flaherty back soon.

I agree with that. We’d have to give up a king’s ransom to get any top of the line guys. We’re not really 1 piece away from being better than the top teams in the league. Plus, we’ll be in a much better position next year. All good reasons to stand pat here. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?