The STL Cardinals Thread - Is It The Offseason Yet?

CWood21

I actually like this little Tinker move for Happ. I know he hasnt been great in his past handfuls of starts, but hes got the stuff weve turned around before.

Plus as Ive called out before Gant wasnt going to be on the 2022 roster, so flipping him for anything at this point is a smart play

We gave up Lane Thomas, who had played himself out of a roster spot and Grant who was going to be at most a middle RP next year. So next to nothing.

Im good with the acquisitions. You get two vets who while haven’t been good, can at least eat innings the rest of the year and preserve the young arms and already taxed BP. Do we catch lightning in a bottle with one of Happ or Lester? Doubt it, but it’s possible with our organizational track record.

This is exactly the moves we needed. We’re not going to win the division and it’s a extremely low probability we win a WC spot, but you still have to make moves to preserve your team and innings...

• Like 1

I’ve been thinking this as soon as the season started, but these moves make a lot more sense when you realize they’re building to compete next year. Can we make any move that gives us a shot against the Dodgers or Padres this year? In my view, absolutely not. We can, however, put ourselves into a better position to do that next year. 

On 7/30/2021 at 4:15 PM, twslhs20 said:

Happ and Lester aren't turning this season around. And the off chance they do, I'm not sure we are coming close to touching the juggernaut that Friedman has built in LA.

Give a great GM unlimited payroll. Super weird.

But a salary cap in the MLB would be an awful idea...just ask the MLBPA.

• Like 1

I know most are going to focus on the Lester dud last night in the 1st inning. He definitely wasn't good, but it was nice to see him at least be able to bounce back after that disaster inning and get through 5 IP limiting the damage after that point...

It wouldn't have mattered if he would've spun a gem last night, the offense was MIA yet again. You're not gonna win many games at all only scoring 1 run in the 9th inning of a game out of reach already...

I finally got around to listening to Mo’s interview on 101 last night. The more I listen to this guy talk, the more I want a change in the front office. I’m all for Randy Flores taking on more of a GM role for this organization. 

Mo’s evaluation of talent scares me. He was talking about how they kind of already know what they have with Justin Williams. A player who has 125 big league at bats has already been essentially written off by the front office. Yet Mo says later that the front office hasn’t seen enough of Austin Dean to fully evaluate his talent. Huh? Mo or the scouting department or whoever has swung and missed on numerous outfielders in our system within the last few years. And it was scary to listen…or not listen to Mo talk about Andrew Knizner. The guys were trying to get Mo to talk about Knizner and all he wanted to do was talk about how great of a prospect Ivan Herrera is. It’s like ok, I’m just as excited as the next Cardinal fan about the potential of Ivan Herrera, but Knizner has hit at all levels in the minors and from all reports before he got to the Bigs his defense was progressing nicely. You have a 39 year old catcher who’s struggling to get his OBP% above .290 and has a wRC+ of around 85. Yet we’re still rolling him out there every single game? Pretty much saying fack it to Knizner’s development and putting all of our money down on Herrera. 

Knizner is going to end up getting traded and being a very good catcher in the Bigs. 

• Like 1