The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

4 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

We have questions with our SP

I actually like our starting pitching, weird I Know. But it’s a bunch of guys who are really more like #3/4s, but on the high end can be #2/3s. But what I think is best about them, is they should be reliable. If we aren’t completely stricken with the injury bug for who is left (obviously Jack and Reyes already being down)

But I do think you are correct, if Jack can’t come back and be close to his Ace level, or these guys aren’t preforming, we have the ammo, and the want to in order to grab someone else in June/July. 

This Hicks as the #5 is going to throw a wrench in things, I’ll be interested to see if they actually stretch him out, or use him as an opener. 

We have leaned on the pitching in this organization for so long, time to lean of the Hitters and Defense for a change. I like that approach with this lineup. 

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

How about Jordan Walker starting the year at AA Springfield already. At 19years old. Dude is going to be a beast. 

Yeah he’s a stud, I cant Wait to see him up here in a few years. And speaking of prospects….Gordon Graceffo has been getting a lot of love coming out of camp. He’s definitely a pitcher that could climb pretty quickly. 

15 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I actually like our starting pitching, weird I Know. But it’s a bunch of guys who are really more like #3/4s, but on the high end can be #2/3s. But what I think is best about them, is they should be reliable. If we aren’t completely stricken with the injury bug for who is left (obviously Jack and Reyes already being down)

But I do think you are correct, if Jack can’t come back and be close to his Ace level, or these guys aren’t preforming, we have the ammo, and the want to in order to grab someone else in June/July. 

This Hicks as the #5 is going to throw a wrench in things, I’ll be interested to see if they actually stretch him out, or use him as an opener. 

We have leaned on the pitching in this organization for so long, time to lean of the Hitters and Defense for a change. I like that approach with this lineup. 

I'm actually in the same boat. The only guy I thought that would be a realistic upgrade addition for us before the season would have been Manea. Everyone else was going to be too expensive, or wasn't really an upgrade. 

I like the SP arms we have. If you can run out there Wainwright, Matz, Mikolas and Hudson consistently, we're going to be in good shape. It's just a matter of them staying healthy. That 5th starter spot in going to rotating until Flaherty comes back IMO. I think you're going to see Hicks as the opener and then combination of guy's like Brooks, Woodford and VerHagen to follow.

The last sentence here is so true and I think you're seeing a shift around baseball. I mean the NL Cy Young winner last year didn't even throw 170 innings. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

So Cardinal fans are already pissed that Albert is in the lineup. Anyone actually think he’ll be the full time DH? If he is, then why have Dickerson? I think is should be a matchup based obviously but opening day, it should definitely be Albert

Why would anyone be pisted that Albert is the DH in the home opener at Busch Stadium, in his 1st game back in a Cardinal jersey in 11 years? If there are really people out there that dumb to not realize the magnitude of this moment, then they are not true fans...

Albert is not going to be the primary DH on this team unless he just comes out and absolutely mashes righties and lefties consistently (which is unlikely). otherwise, it's gonna be exactly like Marmol has said. he'll get his opportunities when we're facing LHP's and off the bench in later spots of the game.  

Corey Dickerson was brought in here to be the DH against RHP, which will make him the default. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

So Cardinal fans are already pissed that Albert is in the lineup. Anyone actually think he’ll be the full time DH? If he is, then why have Dickerson? I think is should be a matchup based obviously but opening day, it should definitely be Albert

I mean I hope Dickerson gets some play. The home opener though…..you need to have Albert in there. 

@StLunatic88 you were right. Girsch was on the radio today and was asked specifically what can be expected out of Jordan Hicks as the 5th starter.

Girsch said the plan is to have him go 2 innings (around 40-45 pitches) as the opener his 1st couple starts. Then though, assuming he feels well and things are working out, they plan to continue to stretch him out and eventually get him closer to a 'normal' start (5 IP). 

2 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Why would anyone be pisted that Albert is the DH in the home opener at Busch Stadium, in his 1st game back in a Cardinal jersey in 11 years? If there are really people out there that dumb to not realize the magnitude of this moment, then they are not true fans...

Albert is not going to be the primary DH on this team unless he just comes out and absolutely mashes righties and lefties consistently (which is unlikely). otherwise, it's gonna be exactly like Marmol has said. he'll get his opportunities when we're facing LHP's and off the bench in later spots of the game.  

Corey Dickerson was brought in here to be the DH against RHP, which will make him the default. 

Probably the BFIB. There’s a difference between Cardinal fans and the BFIB club, and I dont Really care what they think. They’re insane. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

@StLunatic88 you were right. Girsch was on the radio today and was asked specifically what can be expected out of Jordan Hicks as the 5th starter.

Girsch said the plan is to have him go 2 innings (around 40-45 pitches) as the opener his 1st couple starts. Then though, assuming he feels well and things are working out, they plan to continue to stretch him out and eventually get him closer to a 'normal' start (5 IP). 

Yea, as I look at it, the most optimistic timeline for Jack, would be right around when you would decide on stretching out Hicks (3/4 starts) I think these two things are more linked than they would ever publicly admit. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?