The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

Not gonna lie, it felt better than I thought it would to see Albert in a Cardinals uniform. 

I thought he looked trim too. Not as good as Edmonds tried to make him seem, but he definitely looked more in shape than his last years in Cali. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I thought he looked trim too. Not as good as Edmonds tried to make him seem, but he definitely looked more in shape than his last years in Cali. 

I definitely noticed that for sure.  Not sure how much it’ll help with his bat but it was still awesome seeing Albert back in Cardinal red yesterday.

• Like 1

Yet we got Mikolas throwing 41 pitches in the 1st inning. I have no idea how expect to get far with Mikolas who has been very mediocre since his 1st year here on top of the injuries, Hudson coming back from a lot of missed time, and using a reliever(also coming off injury) as the 5th starter to pitch a couple innings. The bullpen will be dead by June. How they thought this was an acceptable rotation is beyond me. Even if Flaherty was completely healthy, it needed another quality starter.

54 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

1 game, can't take anything from that.

Matz lost his pitch grip in the 3rd and never found it again. Mikolas just couldn't find the zone.

Bullpen going to be worn out pretty soon with more performances like that on top of Hudson and this Hicks starting nonsense.

4 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Bullpen going to be worn out pretty soon with more performances like that on top of Hudson and this Hicks starting nonsense.

It's not nonsense. Hicks was a pretty good starter coming up the Cardinals system...

14-5, 2.91 ERA, 31 starts, 160.2 IP, 154 hits, 137 Strikeouts, 74 walks. 

If he can get his walk-rate down to around where it was in 2019 (3.45 walks/9) then he could see a lot of success in the rotation for us. 

11 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I hear yah, but you got to temper expectations. 

In the famous words of TLR when asked about Cards rough start years ago - 'it's the first week of the season' 

You can't really judge pitching until you get to memorial day. By then, you have a good idea of what you have/are. 

Edited by kgarrett12486

13 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

We've got tons of off days in the beginning. The pen will be ok through this blip. Now if we don't address the rotation sometime(with a promotion, improvement of an existing guy, or addition) by the deadline, I'll be more worried. 

8 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

5.0 IP, 2 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, 5 strikeouts

He looks like a potential fast mover in the minors. It wouldn't surprise me to see him in AAA next year and knocking on the big squads door. I like that his first step is back. Kind of old school. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?