The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

Offense struggling big time against good pitchers. Carlson and Goldy are hot garbage right now and Yadi and DeJong have no business starting. Also bullpen start #1 didn’t work out. Still don’t think Hicks will ever be a good starting pitcher. Throws way too many balls.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

Another great start from both McGreevy and Graceffo today (Peoria played a doubleheader). 

Michael McGreevy:
6.0 ip, 7 hits, 1 run, 0 walks, 7 strikeouts 

Season stats:
3 starts, 0.57 WHIP, 0.51 ERA, 17.2 ip, 9 hits, 1 run, 1 walk, 16 strikeouts, .148 BAA 

Gordon Graceffo:
5.0 IP, 3 hits, 0 runs, 1 walk, 9 strikeouts

Season stats:
3 starts, 0.50 WHIP, 0.56 ERA, 16 IP, 7 hits, 1 run, 1 walk, 21 strikeouts 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Another great start from both McGreevy and Graceffo today (Peoria played a doubleheader). 

Michael McGreevy:
6.0 ip, 7 hits, 1 run, 0 walks, 7 strikeouts 

Season stats:
3 starts, 0.57 WHIP, 0.51 ERA, 17.2 ip, 9 hits, 1 run, 1 walk, 16 strikeouts, .148 BAA 

Gordon Graceffo:

Season stats:

That's exciting. Hopefully our pitching prospects can catch up to our hitting prospects. 

Also I think the "Pujols against righties" narrative needs to end, or at least slow down a bit. Look at his splits this season. He can't hit righties anymore. The last 5 years aren't a fluke small sample size. 

21 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Also I think the "Pujols against righties" narrative needs to end, or at least slow down a bit. Look at his splits this season. He can't hit righties anymore. The last 5 years aren't a fluke small sample size. 

Yup, I was stubbornly in the camp that it could work because I want to see him get enough AB to get to 700, but it's real. If you want to play him against a righty, do it at home so the fans get to see him at least. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Yup, I was stubbornly in the camp that it could work because I want to see him get enough AB to get to 700, but it's real. If you want to play him against a righty, do it at home so the fans get to see him at least. 

Oh for sure. I wasn't trying to imply that I knew he couldn't do it. After opening day, I was pretty sure he could too. Maybe a soft tossing RHP, but he has no business against flamethrowing righties. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Gordon Graceffo:

Season stats:

Based on the reports I've seen/read, that might be one of the steals of the drafts.  He's seen an uptick in velocity and the off-speed stuff has improved as well.  He could very well be a top 10 prospect by the time the season ends.

Guys, this team is good.

We will need one more pitcher, either Jack comes back strong or we need to go get one. And the less of Albert and Yadi we see the better. But that does mean we will need to find atleast one more Bat unless Dickerson turns it on

I like what we’ve got going

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Guys, this team is good.

We will need one more pitcher, either Jack comes back strong or we need to go get one. And the less of Albert and Yadi we see the better. But that does mean we will need to find atleast one more Bat unless Dickerson turns it on

I like what we’ve got going

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I want to see this team face more then the Reds, Pirates, and Royals.  Milwaukee is the only "playoff caliber" team we've faced.  Our opponents are a combined 28-40 for the season thus far.  If we're still rocking a .600+ record after the month of May, I'll be a believer.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I want to see this team face more then the Reds, Pirates, and Royals.  Milwaukee is the only "playoff caliber" team we've faced.  Our opponents are a combined 28-40 for the season thus far.  If we're still rocking a .600+ record after the month of May, I'll be a believer.

Those are the teams put infront of us, and we are beating them. I have no issues with that. 

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I agree to an extent but that’s the teams they’ve had to face so far and they’ve won every series. The Mets tomorrow is the first real test. Actually it’s probably the first team with somewhat of an offense that we’ve faced. I don’t necessarily trust the starting pitching. If they expect Hicks to be a starter… yikes. They need a higher end starting pitcher. I’m not counting Flaherty to even throw a pitch this season so if this team wants to go anywhere past the divisional round or WC round, they’d definitely need more than a trio of Waino, Mikolas, and Matz leading the way.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

And 9-5 definitely isn’t that impressive against the teams they’ve faced. Not sweeping the Reds today was pathetic. Bats have went cold. Still have won every series(outside of Milwaukee where the tied). Waino has looked pretty bad the past two starts and surprise surprise, they were on the road. Team has some things to like for sure but don’t see them any better than last year.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?