The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

The DH spot makes doing that more palpable 

No doubt.  But I'm generally of the belief that unless you have an established hitter without a defensive position, you use the DH position as a semi-day off for your top players.  You get to keep their bats in the lineup, but they get to rest a bit and not have to take the field for 9 innings.  You can rotate between Goldy, Arenado, etc. and give  them some extra rest.  I don't recall where I saw it, but I saw somewhere that Mikolas prefers having Knizner catch him, so that's ~30 starts for him right there.

20 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Per A's reporter (Jessica Kleinschmidt), the Cardinals were engaged with A's on Murphy, but he became too expensive in terms of assets and they pivoted efforts to Contreras last night. 

Sounds about right.  Billy Beane is known to drive a hard deal, and he knows that he had one of two high-end starting catchers on the market.  My guess is the Cardinals offered Gorman+, and Beane wanted more.

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wonder if Kiz will be the backup. I doubt it'll be Herrera, but maybe an outside FA? Does Contreras make Herrera into a trade piece? 

I don't think there's any chance that anyone other than Knizner will be the backup.  They're not doubling down on the C position in FA.  Knizner is still relatively cheap, and Contreras is just keeping the spot warm for Herrera anyways.  I'd anticipate Herrera gets the backup C spot in 2024, and then 2025 he is the full-time starting C assuming he continues to develop.

• Like 1

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?