The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Let's see where the AAV comes in.  Thought 4/$80M was the fair deal.  Figured 5/$100M would end the negotiations.

That's a fair deal.  I didn't think he'd get that $20M/year average, but I think the Cardinals coughed up the 5th year in favor of a lower AAV.  Think if it was a 4 year deal, it would have been closer to $20M/year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

That's a fair deal.  I didn't think he'd get that $20M/year average, but I think the Cardinals coughed up the 5th year in favor of a lower AAV.  Think if it was a 4 year deal, it would have been closer to $20M/year.

I'm fine with it. He'll be able to play C primarily for the next 2-3 years and then if his bat holds up, he can transition full-time to DH the last few years. Like you said, keeps Herrera on track to tack over at that time if he develops like FO thinks. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I'm fine with it. He'll be able to play C primarily for the next 2-3 years and then if his bat holds up, he can transition full-time to DH the last few years. Like you said, keeps Herrera on track to tack over at that time if he develops like FO thinks. 

Gotta be frank, I’m alittle surprised we actually spent $17m+ this offseason. So credit there for making a move. 

Contrares isn’t a stud catcher, but he is a major plus offensively in this Catching market. 

And as I said earlier, having the DH spot helps there for the first few years. But will REALLY help in years 4/5

21 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I'm happy with the price but I hope we  make another move (doubtful, I know). Really didn't want to risk not getting one of him or Murphy. 

Unless it comes on the trade front, I think we're done with anything of significance in FA. Probably just some BP and bench fillers now with the $5-8M we're looking at left.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Unless it comes on the trade front, I think we're done with anything of significance in FA. Probably just some BP and bench fillers now with the $5-8M we're looking at left.  

I would have to think so. The Swanson stuff had to be connected to a Murphy trade because we wouldn’t have to pay him, and he’s less of an offensive piece than Contrares. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I would have to think so. The Swanson stuff had to be connected to a Murphy trade because we wouldn’t have to pay him, and he’s less of an offensive piece than Contrares. 

I'd put it in the highly unlikely scenario (<5%), but I don't think the Cardinals are completely out on Dansby Swanson situation.  Mark Bowman (@mlbowman) is a Braves' beat writer who reported 5 hours ago that Cardinals (along with the Red Sox, Cubs, and Twins) have shown the most interest.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'd put it in the highly unlikely scenario (<5%), but I don't think the Cardinals are completely out on Dansby Swanson situation.  Mark Bowman (@mlbowman) is a Braves' beat writer who reported 5 hours ago that Cardinals (along with the Red Sox, Cubs, and Twins) have shown the most interest.

To me, it's seems like we'll monitor his market. if for some reason he doesn't land the long-term deal somewhere else, we may look to offer him a Carlos Correa type deal from last off-season at that point. However, I think there would be a handful of teams that would do that.

Based on Mo's comments from a few weeks ago, reading between the lines, it sounded like that was their play on the FA shortstop market. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

if for some reason he doesn't land the long-term deal somewhere else, we may look to offer him a Carlos Correa type deal from last off-season at that point.

Thats exactly what Im thinking at this point. Id bet we are MUCH more willing to spend bigger short term than committing to long term on SS

Although if Swanson was to go for that, Id think he would just do it back in Atlanta

30 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Thats exactly what Im thinking at this point. Id bet we are MUCH more willing to spend bigger short term than committing to long term on SS

Although if Swanson was to go for that, Id think he would just do it back in Atlanta

Yep. At this point I'd be shocked if he doesn't get the long-term deal. He's now basically the fall back for the teams that miss out on Correa. I think when the dusts settles, you'll see Correa on the Giants and Swanson on the Twins/Cubs/Sox. 

If he didn't get the deal, like you said, makes sense for him to return to braves (who have already publicly said they would welcome him back) where he's had success and make another play in FA next year when SS class isn't as loaded with top-end guys. 

I agree with @CWood21, the chances of him ending up on Cardinals are less than 5%. I think if we're making another impact move it's on the trade front vs. FA and likely for a SP.  

13 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I agree with @CWood21, the chances of him ending up on Cardinals are less than 5%. I think if we're making another impact move it's on the trade front vs. FA and likely for a SP.  

Im not sure there. Unless we are getting an upgrade on Mikolas for an "Ace" we are already pretty full of Middle of the Rotation guys.

I do agree though, if theres another move, it will be via Trade

As a long term thing to watch, Id keep our eyes on whats happening in Sand Diego. If they dont let Soto just walk out the door, they very well might be looking to move Tatis, and its the exact type of scenario that Mo is so good at laying the ground work, and then pulling it off a few years down the road.

54 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Honestly, I think a Dansby Swanson signing would be a precursor for another move.  I don't think we're making any more major moves unless the Cardinals sign Swanson.  Right now, our MIF is Brendan Donovan at 2B and Tomm Edman at SS with Nolan Gorman probably getting the majority of ABs at DH.  If you sign Dansby Swanson, you're shifting Tommy Edman back to 2B and than Brendan Donovan moves into that UTIL/DH role.  I do think Brendan Donovan is due for regression, but you'd be hard pressed to put him on the bench after the season he had.  Someone's gonna have to get moved in that scenario.  Either Nolan Gorman or Brendan Donovan.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?