The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

Last 6 games: 4/24 (.166), 2 RBI, 1 BB, 7 Ks

Last 11 games; 9/39 (.230), 3 RBI, 1 BB, 9 Ks

Just a little reminder before we go into final cut downs, this is what Jordan Walker has been doing recently in Spring Training. The first set is after that slide into 2nd, but I put the second larger set to show its not just after a possible injury, although that has clearly impacted him (unless thats the exact moment teams leasrned how to pitch to him)

Im not surprised that Cardinal fans have basically turned a blind eye after his back-to-back big games to start March, (First 6 games; 9/18 (.500), 6 RBI, 0 BB, 3 Ks) because thats all they want to think of him as, and they are still pretending he has "torn up" Spring Training and is a "lock" for the opening day roster... Just preparing you all

12 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Just a little reminder before we go into final cut downs, this is what Jordan Walker has been doing recently in Spring Training. The first set is after that slide into 2nd, but I put the second larger set to show its not just after a possible injury, although that has clearly impacted him (unless thats the exact moment teams leasrned how to pitch to him)

Im not surprised that Cardinal fans have basically turned a blind eye after his back-to-back big games to start March, (First 6 games; 9/18 (.500), 6 RBI, 0 BB, 3 Ks) because thats all they want to think of him as, and they are still pretending he has "torn up" Spring Training and is a "lock" for the opening day roster... Just preparing you all

*plugs ears*

LALALALALALA I can't hear you LALALALALALA 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

2 year extension is really solid. Was worried we might be sucked into a 4 year deal or something.

Wonder what the relationship with Jack is these days

Also would assume unless he implodes, Montgomery would be someone we want to extend as well

46 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

2 year extension is really solid. Was worried we might be sucked into a 4 year deal or something.

Also would assume unless he implodes, Montgomery would be someone we want to extend as well

Very solid deal, as he's only set to count for $16M AAV over that extension (the rest is roster bonus and bump to his salary this season). I actually think it's a team friendly deal. He wouldv'e probably gotten close to $20M on the FA market if he put together a similar year like last. 

We needed to get this deal done with only Matz under contract next year. This helps. 

37 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I actually think it's a team friendly deal. He wouldv'e probably gotten close to $20M on the FA market if he put together a similar year like last. 

With our payroll likely on the way down, this was a good deal to get done. Which is why id assume were more interested in extending a Montgomery than a Flaherty

Mikolas - Matz - Monty - and 2 young arms seems like a likely future rotation

Hopefully Woodford is good this year as she is showing in ST, and then Id expect Graceffo to be the other (Im just assuming Liberatore is trade fodder at this point)

On 3/23/2023 at 9:12 AM, StLunatic88 said:

The Office Smile GIF

10 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

There's no reason for either side to discuss a new deal.  Flaherty has thrown 154.2 IP over the last 3 seasons.  The Cardinals aren't going to give him the AAV or the years he wants, and the Cardinals aren't going to risk that with a pitcher who hasn't consistently stayed healthy.

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

There's no reason for either side to discuss a new deal.  Flaherty has thrown 154.2 IP over the last 3 seasons.  The Cardinals aren't going to give him the AAV or the years he wants, and the Cardinals aren't going to risk that with a pitcher who hasn't consistently stayed healthy.

I wasn’t talking about now. I meant is he still an option at the end of the season? Or are we already resigned to the reality that he’s gone no matter what?

The relationship seemed pretty fractured after someone leaked the shoulder info (and then Mo spoke on it I think). And we hadn’t heard really anything between the two publicly since 

9 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I wasn’t talking about now. I meant is he still an option at the end of the season? Or are we already resigned to the reality that he’s gone no matter what?

The relationship seemed pretty fractured after someone leaked the shoulder info (and then Mo spoke on it I think). And we hadn’t heard really anything between the two publicly since 

Completely shut?  Probably not.  Likely to return next year?  Again, probably not.  Jack Flaherty wanted his market value extension a few years ago, and that's not how the market works.  He was going to take himself to FA, and get himself the best deal possible.  And unfortunately, he got injured and has struggled with injuries the last 3 years.  I love Jack Flaherty, but odds are he's not a Cardinal next year.

Just now, ttitansfan4life said:

Welp looks like he made it. Glad we got prepared for this. Honestly if he’s not starting every day, no point in keeping him up here though.

Was just about to come up here and post that.  Probably means Tyler O'Neill is headed to the DH spot, but I think it means you're going to see a LOT of rotation in the outfield.

2B Brendan Donovan
LF Lars Nootbarr
1B Paul Goldschmidt
3B Nolan Arenado
C Willson Contreras
DH Tyler O'Neill
RF Jordan Walker
CF Dylan Carlson
SS Tommy Edman

I would assume that's our everyday lineup.  Probably see the outfielders rotate positions.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?