The STL Cardinals Thread - Is It The Offseason Yet?

CWood21

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but VEB has been talking a lot about the improvements Libby has been showing with his stuff this spring. Maybe another pitching coach will unlock something in him? It’s possible Libby puts in some innings this year too. Woodford’s looked good so far too. It’s not a great idea to try to figure out a rotation during the season, but we’ve got an offense that gives us a little wiggle room. 

Liberatore had a really nice spring. He probably deserved to be on thos team, but I know they wanted to send him down to stretch out.

Problem with him is his FB is just not that good and it limits his ceiling as a starter IMO.

6 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Already some overreaction after game 1? 

I mean the pitching sucked yesterday….  What is there to say? We scored 9 runs and lost. Didn’t say anything about the the team being terrible the whole year or anything like that. Saying the pitching was pathetic yesterday isn’t an overreaction.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

This pitching is pathetic. 

Except it really wasn't. The box score would suggest so, but watching the game yesterday, I've never seen a team get more bloop and broken bat hits than I saw the Blue jays get yesterday. They had at least 6 from what I counted and it seemed like it was always with RISP. 

They really didn't have a ton of hard hits. Just some bad luck. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Except it really wasn't. The box score would suggest so, but watching the game yesterday, I've never seen a team get more bloop and broken bat hits than I saw the Blue jays get yesterday. They had at least 6 from what I counted and it seemed like it was always with RISP. 

They really didn't have a ton of hard hits. Just some bad luck. 

That's true, but they still got the bat on the ball and our guys were having trouble hitting the strike zone. Mikolas looked bad, but I'm not as worried about him going forward as I am with the bullpen. 

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

While dramatic, is there any reason to believe that we're going to in the upper third of baseball in pitching?

I don't think anyone thought we were going to have that coming into the year. I think most thought this rotation was middle of the pack and I don't think 1 game alters that view.

The difference to me is this offense has the potential to be top 3 in baseball and consistently win you games because of it. That is something we haven't seen in a long time. 

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

That's true, but they still got the bat on the ball and our guys were having trouble hitting the strike zone. Mikolas looked bad, but I'm not as worried about him going forward as I am with the bullpen. 

I'm okay with it, as this staff is mostly made up of guys that pitch to contact. it's why we have the elite defense behind them at just about every position on the infield and above average defenders at every OF spot. 

Like you said though, they have to throw strikes. Ususally though, this early in the season that is a consistency problem for most pitchers and it ususally takes them a fe weeks to catch up to the hitters. 

• Like 1