The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

9 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Problem is, we don't have a ton of good pieces other teams would want. Unless we go all out and make Carlos available. 

Lance Lynn absolutely should be moved, don't think they'll be a shortage of teams looking into him. I still think we can get a good return on him vs. just the comp pick...

Grichuk is the one that fascinates me, especially hearing Onley say that teams have inquired on him. I'd like to move him while he's healthy and hot right now. Seems like the right time...

We've got to move an OF or two either at the deadline or in the off-season. We've got too many guys ready to go or locked up long-term at the position...

1] Dexter Fowler (not going anywhere)

2] Stephen Piscotty (locked-up long term and the FO loves him. His age and cost control make him appealing)

3] Tommy Pham (turned a corner in his career and been arguably our best all around player since his recall. Still hasn't even hit arbitration years yet. His value might be at all time high.)

4] Randal Grichuk (under team control, lot's of pop, but about as inconsistent as they come.)

5] Harrison Bader (He's been ready for promotion for several months now. He's got nothing left to prove at AAA).

6] Tyler O'Neill (newly acquired, but he's knocking on the door. With a good finish and ST he should be ready for the show).

7] Adolis Garcia (He's in same category. He's knocking on the door.)

8] Mags Sierra (We've seen what he's done this year with the limited time. He's probably the guy on this list that could feasibly spend another full year in the minors, but man it's hard to do with what you've seen from him and the speed/defense ability he possesses).

9] Jose Martinez (Don't think he'll be in the plans next year unless we move some pieces)

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

We've got to move an OF or two either at the deadline or in the off-season. We've got too many guys ready to go or locked up long-term at the position...

1] Dexter Fowler (not going anywhere)

2] Stephen Piscotty (locked-up long term and the FO loves him. His age and cost control make him appealing)

3] Tommy Pham (turned a corner in his career and been arguably our best all around player since his recall. Still hasn't even hit arbitration years yet. His value might be at all time high.)

4] Randal Grichuk (under team control, lot's of pop, but about as inconsistent as they come.)

5] Harrison Bader (He's been ready for promotion for several months now. He's got nothing left to prove at AAA).

6] Tyler O'Neill (newly acquired, but he's knocking on the door. With a good finish and ST he should be ready for the show).

7] Adolis Garcia (He's in same category. He's knocking on the door.)

8] Mags Sierra (We've seen what he's done this year with the limited time. He's probably the guy on this list that could feasibly spend another full year in the minors, but man it's hard to do with what you've seen from him and the speed/defense ability he possesses).

9] Jose Martinez (Don't think he'll be in the plans next year unless we move some pieces)

I think Bader gets traded. Some one suggested in a chat or maybe it was twitter that we could trade Piscotty, but I don't really see that happening. 

Piscotty to the Giants. Would be closer to home and Piscotty can be an impact bat next year for them. Giants from what ivw read, don't want to go full rebuild mode. 

Seeing what Marco got us, I'm very curious to see what Luke Weaver or Dakota Hudson could bring...

RE: Grichuk Trade Interest

I have a hard time trading someone who's young and consistently among the league leaders in barrels/plate appearance. As mentioned by @CWood21, I fear another Matt Adams success story for whoever would acquire him. The fact he's had 4+ seasons to correct his K% woes is worrisome, but he's a talent I wouldn't let go.

So, I'm not sure what to make of Paul DeJong at this point. I really hope he's not going down the Randal Grichuk path. If you look at their numbers side by side (Grichuk from 2015-his 1st real stretch of MLB time) they're almost identical...

We all know what happened after that promising start...

DeJong's OBP is awful and he's K'ing at a 33% clip thus far. That doesn't scream success long-term to me. I hope he can show improvement in that area...

I don't want to pencil him in as the SS for 2018 and run into the Diaz 2.0 problem. If DeJong can cut down the K's and learn to take some walks I think he's the potential bridge gap SS to Delvin Perez...

18 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Problem is, we don't have a ton of good pieces other teams would want. Unless we go all out and make Carlos available. 

We've got good pieces, we just don't have any great pieces.  As I've mentioned before, we've got three guys who I'd consider significant trading pieces in Lance Lynn, Trevor Rosenthal, and Jedd Gyorko.  And then we've got guys we could offer up in trade but for various reasons probably won't like Matt Carpenter, Kolten Wong, and Michael Wacha.

9 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Grichuk is the one that fascinates me, especially hearing Onley say that teams have inquired on him. I'd like to move him while he's healthy and hot right now. Seems like the right time...

Maybe I'm off base, but this smells like teams saw what happened with Matt Adams after he got out of St. Louis and are hoping that they can get the same thing to happen.  In 53 games with the Braves, Adams has already amassed 1.2 WAR.  In the previous 209 games with St. Louis, he accumulated 0.9 WAR.  If someone is willing to do a Gonzales/O'Neill kind of trade, I'm down.  But this smells a LOT like the Adams trade.

5 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I think you can pretty much cross Dexter Fowler and Stephen Piscotty off as trade possibilities.  Given his struggles this year and the fact that Fowler has a NTC, you're going to have a very limited number of suitors and I'd imagine that it's not an image that the Cardinals want to give off to future FA.  Hey come sign here and in six months we're going to ship you off when you struggle to start the year.  Piscotty is a young player whose locked up longterm, which is the exact type of player they should be trying to accumulate.  IF someone wants to overwhelm the Cardinals with an offer, than I'd probably listen.  But that likely isn't going to happen.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe I'm off base, but this smells like teams saw what happened with Matt Adams after he got out of St. Louis and are hoping that they can get the same thing to happen.  In 53 games with the Braves, Adams has already amassed 1.2 WAR.  In the previous 209 games with St. Louis, he accumulated 0.9 WAR.  If someone is willing to do a Gonzales/O'Neill kind of trade, I'm down.  But this smells a LOT like the Adams trade.

I'm glad Adams is doing well for ATL, but I'm still not sold he's completely figured it out. We saw him go thru stretches or even a half season where he hit like an all star [albeit never that much power] and then he'd loose it...

I'd like to believe Grichuk will turn the corner, he'll he probably will down the line. Problem is we don't have 3 more years for it to happen...

31 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I'm glad Adams is doing well for ATL, but I'm still not sold he's completely figured it out. We saw him go thru stretches or even a half season where he hit like an all star [albeit never that much power] and then he'd loose it...

I'd like to believe Grichuk will turn the corner, he'll he probably will down the line. Problem is we don't have 3 more years for it to happen...

Even if he hasn't figured it out, it's a situation where the Braves bought low and are getting tremendous return on their investment.  Even if he rolls back towards his career averages, they still made out ahead.  And my line of thought with Grichuk is that if he's garnering real interest, it's in the same mold.  Teams view it was a buy-low candidate.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?