The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

So what's the take on Waino coming back?

I'd actually support the decision IF he is a spot starter and/or long relief. I would hope he'd take a very team friendly deal. If he can transition into a solid middle innings reliever that would just be gravy. I know that there is a prestige thing about moving to the pen, but I really think Waino could be very good in that role. 

8 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

So what's the take on Waino coming back?

I'd actually support the decision IF he is a spot starter and/or long relief. I would hope he'd take a very team friendly deal. If he can transition into a solid middle innings reliever that would just be gravy. I know that there is a prestige thing about moving to the pen, but I really think Waino could be very good in that role. 

I just don't know if you can rely on him as a starter at this point.  And I feel like having him as a long reliever is probably not best for him either.  I wonder if he could transition into a late-inning reliever.  He did it early in his career, and it should keep the mileage down on his arm.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I just don't know if you can rely on him as a starter at this point.  And I feel like having him as a long reliever is probably not best for him either.  I wonder if he could transition into a late-inning reliever.  He did it early in his career, and it should keep the mileage down on his arm.

That would ideal for me as well. Even if he's the 6th inning/emergency 7th inning guy. That would allow him to stay with the team and be a leader. 

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He doesn't have the same stuff as back then. I'm not sure there is a good role for him.

12 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

He doesn't have the same stuff as back then. I'm not sure there is a good role for him.

I think he could be a pretty effective reliever. Low innings might see his FB jump up to 93ish, with his deuce, and a little cutter every now and then. I could see it. 

MLBTR came out with their projected arbitration salaries and they break down as following:

Marcell Ozuna - $13.4M
Michael Wacha - $6.6M
Dominic Leone - $1.3M
Chasen Shreve - $1.2M
Greg Garcia - $0.9M

Marcell Ozuna seems like an obvious candidate to tender given all that the Cardinals gave to the Marlins to land him.  Give him an offseason to get healthy, and get a better idea of whether or not it's worth signing him long-term.  Michael Wacha seems to be a bit more up in the air given his health issues.  Ultimately though, I think it's going to be tough to give up on him.  At their prices, it's going to be tough to not offer arbitration to Leone, Shreve, and Garcia even if their long-term future might not be with the Cardinals.

So do we offer arbitration to Michael Wacha?  @tttmikeb @StLunatic88 @holt_bruce81 @chris00cm @ttitansfan4life @MOSteelers56 @kgarrett12486

19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

MLBTR came out with their projected arbitration salaries and they break down as following:

Marcell Ozuna - $13.4M
Michael Wacha - $6.6M
Dominic Leone - $1.3M
Chasen Shreve - $1.2M
Greg Garcia - $0.9M

Marcell Ozuna seems like an obvious candidate to tender given all that the Cardinals gave to the Marlins to land him.  Give him an offseason to get healthy, and get a better idea of whether or not it's worth signing him long-term.  Michael Wacha seems to be a bit more up in the air given his health issues.  Ultimately though, I think it's going to be tough to give up on him.  At their prices, it's going to be tough to not offer arbitration to Leone, Shreve, and Garcia even if their long-term future might not be with the Cardinals.

So do we offer arbitration to Michael Wacha?  @tttmikeb @StLunatic88 @holt_bruce81 @chris00cm @ttitansfan4life @MOSteelers56 @kgarrett12486

Absolutely, they'll offer arb on Wacha and Ozuna. Don't think there is any question there. Agree with what you said on Ozuna, he turned it on in early 4th quarter of season, but needs to prove he's over the shoulder issue and put up better numbers in 2019 before I give him long term deal.

I think Shreve and Garcia are the two that may get non tendered. Both are expensive for the replacement level talent they are.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly I see a whole lot of big talk again this offseason with not alot being done. Hearing the same things we heard last year, and we'll probably take an incremental step (Josh Donaldson on a prove it deal) and say "we have the talent, it just needs to come together" while the Cubs probably add Harper and the Brewers get more pitching... widening the gap again. 

On 10/23/2018 at 9:07 AM, StLunatic88 said:

Honestly I see a whole lot of big talk again this offseason with not alot being done. Hearing the same things we heard last year, and we'll probably take an incremental step (Josh Donaldson on a prove it deal) and say "we have the talent, it just needs to come together" while the Cubs probably add Harper and the Brewers get more pitching... widening the gap again. 

Probably.  But then again, we're stuck in that no man's land in terms of our franchise.  We're not good enough as currently constructed to win a World Series, but we're not bad enough to where we can really rebuild our franchise.  I just wish our franchise would choose one direction and go with it.  And not stick in this no man's land.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?