The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

On 11/5/2018 at 12:22 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

Agreed, he should've been dealt when Yadi signed the extension.

They knew what Knizer was becoming...

Even if they didn't believe in Knizner, you either were picking Yadi or Carson Kelly.  And that extension made it clear that the choice was Yadi.  Fortunately, Yadi has still been a high quality catcher even if his durability has taken a hit.

On 11/5/2018 at 6:49 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

No one should hold animosity toward the FO on Price or Stanton. They did all they could on those fronts. The players had control in both scenarios of where they ultimately wanted to be...

Yeah.  It's hard to punish the franchise over Price or Stanton.  We had the biggest offer on the table for David Price, and Boston came in at the last minute and made an even bigger offer.  Hard to say that the Cardinals should have gone even further.  Especially with the power of hindsight, I'd argue only his 2016 season was Price worth the AAV of $31M.  And with him not opting out, the Red Sox are on the hook $127M over the next four years and he was a 3 WAR pitcher this year.  You'd need something like 3.2 WAR per year over the rest of his contract to break even.  Given his age and the tendency of arms to break down, that's not a contract I want on my books.  As for Stanton, we had the best offer and Stanton nixed it.  Happens.

23 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

The one that may have some merit is choosing to trade for Ozuna over Yelich. I still side with Mo on his move, because of the arm and a leg that it would have cost us to get Yelich, but I can understand that argument.

Absolutely.  Yelich was clearly the better player, but it would have cost the Cardinals far more.  Probably talking about a Jordan Hicks, Carson Kelly, plus significantly more package.  As opposed to the "extra" pieces we dealt for Ozuna.  Sierra is going to BABIP you to death, and he doesn't offer enough on-base skills and he has limited power.  Seems like a replacement-level starting CF or higher end 4th OFer.  Sandy Alcantara's stuff always seemed to outproduce the results, and he fell behind the rest of the bigger arms in the farm.

17 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Why? He's exactly the type of player we desperately need. 

A superstar, MVP level player, in his prime, true middle of the order bat...

Yeah...I'm not sure why anyone would be shying away from him.  Guys like Bryce Harper and Manny Machado don't come available very often in trades let alone FA.  He's 26 years old, and even if you give him a 10 year deal you'd feel reasonably comfortable paying him into his mid 30s as opposed to paying him into his late 30s.  And you're probably going to have a few opt-outs in there as well.  Plug him into RF for the next 3-4 years and then let some other team sign him for the downside of his career.

• Like 1

Ankiel, who has been planning a comeback to baseball as a reliever, underwent a primary repair of a left elbow ligament and could miss the start of 2019.

Ankiel didn't need Tommy John, so it sounds like he still could pitch early on next season if his rehab goes well. The Cardinals were planning on offering him a minor league contract to try out for the team as a reliever. That's still likely to happen eventually, but the deal will wait until Ankiel is closer to full health.

On 11/8/2018 at 10:16 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd probably pass on Andrew Miller. I think his best days are behind him. Kimbrel, I'm kind meh on. I don't know how much left he's got either. We need someone who is willing to pitch the middle innings that has solid closer experience. I'd like to have a backup plan for Hicks. 

Depends on how much we're paying for Andrew Miller.  MLBTR projected 3 years, $27M and Kiley projected him at 2 years, $22M.  Either of those I'm fine with.  Paying him the 3 years, $54M that Spotrac is projecting, and I'm beyond out.

On 11/9/2018 at 4:51 PM, CWood21 said:

Depends on how much we're paying for Andrew Miller.  MLBTR projected 3 years, $27M and Kiley projected him at 2 years, $22M.  Either of those I'm fine with.  Paying him the 3 years, $54M that Spotrac is projecting, and I'm beyond out.

I'd be ok with the smaller deals too. I'm really hopeful we make a move that gets the needle pointed in the right direction. I think we can catch the Cubs with a few solid moves. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?