The STL Cardinals Thread - Is It The Offseason Yet?

CWood21

According to Katie Woo and Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, the Cardinals are in discussions with Yadier Molina about a one-year contract extension.

Molina was re-signed a one-year, $9 million contract in free agency this past offseason, and Woo notes that the 39-year-old catcher "prefers at least the same amount for next season."

11 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Anyone else think Shildt should've walked Yelich last night to get to the pitcher's spot? Or at least take Reyes out for a lefty? I feel like he does something nightly to make me want to bang my head against the wall. 

(Full disclosure, I'm a Brewers fan) I was thinking the same thing at the time.  Two years ago no one would have dreamed of pitching to him in that spot, but this is not the Yelich from 18-19.  He still walks a lot but driving the ball is rare these days.  I don't know if it was even discussed with first base open but if I were the Cards, I'd have rather faced Yeli there than Jace with the bases loaded.  They also seemed to stick with Reyes way too long too, but maybe that's typical for you guys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

Anyone else think Shildt should've walked Yelich last night to get to the pitcher's spot? Or at least take Reyes out for a lefty? I feel like he does something nightly to make me want to bang my head against the wall. 

Nah, I was Fine with them pitching to Yelich. I mean If Reyes doesn’t throw a 58 foot change up, they probably get out of the inning. 

Plus Reyes has struggled with Walks this year. I think He’s close to 7 walks per nine. Do we trust Reyes to throw strikes with the bases loaded? The only real issue I had With last nights game from Shildt was him pulling Cabrera after just one inning. You could of probably went the rest of the game with him. Or at the very least one more inning.

Edited by holt_bruce81
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, titanrick said:

(Full disclosure, I'm a Brewers fan) I was thinking the same thing at the time.  Two years ago no one would have dreamed of pitching to him in that spot, but this is not the Yelich from 18-19.  He still walks a lot but driving the ball is rare these days.  I don't know if it was even discussed with first base open but if I were the Cards, I'd have rather faced Yeli there than Jace with the bases loaded.  They also seemed to stick with Reyes way too long too, but maybe that's typical for you guys.

Mike Shildt leave Reyes in too long??? The same Mike Shildt who earlier this year let Alex Reyes walk the bases loaded and then sat there and watched him throw just 4 of 21 pitches for strikes and walk 3 straight runners home. That Mike Shildt? 

Edited by holt_bruce81
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, titanrick said:

Every. *******. Game. 

Thanks for the input though. 

5 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Nah, I was Fine with them pitching to Yelich. I mean If Reyes doesn’t throw a 58 foot change up, they probably get out of the inning. 

Plus Reyes has struggled with Walks this year. I think He’s close to 7 walks per nine. Do we trust Reyes to throw strikes with the bases loaded? The only real issue I had With last nights game from Shildt was him pulling Cabrera after just one inning. You could of probably went the rest of the game with him. Or at the very least one more inning.

That's a fair point about the bases being loaded, but why not just take him out? 

26 pitches yesterday and Gallegos is back in? What are we doing here? And I wonder if we start seeing Luis Garcia in more high leverage situations, he's been pretty good for us. Had no idea he was 34 years old and has been in the league since 2013. 

Since July 28th...

13.2 IP, 6 hits, 0 Runs, 0 walks, 8 strikeouts 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

According to Katie Woo and Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, the Cardinals are in discussions with Yadier Molina about a one-year contract extension.

Molina was re-signed a one-year, $9 million contract in free agency this past offseason, and Woo notes that the 39-year-old catcher "prefers at least the same amount for next season."

I wouldn't hate the idea of having Yadi come back for 1 more season, but he's not worth more than $10M.  And even then, that's probably pushing it.  He's keeping the seat warm for Ivan Herrera at this point.  And that'd be more about keeping him around for our young pitchers, namely Matthew Liberatore and Dakota Hudson.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

26 pitches yesterday and Gallegos is back in? What are we doing here? And I wonder if we start seeing Luis Garcia in more high leverage situations, he's been pretty good for us. Had no idea he was 34 years old and has been in the league since 2013. 

Since July 28th...

13.2 IP, 6 hits, 0 Runs, 0 walks, 8 strikeouts 

I was worried about that as well. I thought we should've just let Cabrera pitch another inning, as he had only thrown 7 pitches the night before and only needed 7 pitches to get through the 7th last night.

Luckily, Gallegos came in and was filthy.

Problem keeps going back to same systemic issue we've had all year. You only have 2-3 guys you can trust consistently in those high leverage innings and they had all been used. Helsley and Garcia are starting to work there way into that mix now, but at least we had a 4 run lead so we could throw McFarland in 9th.

Garcia has been nasty since All-Star break, but like you said he's a 34year old journeyman.

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I wouldn't hate the idea of having Yadi come back for 1 more season, but he's not worth more than $10M.  And even then, that's probably pushing it.  He's keeping the seat warm for Ivan Herrera at this point.  And that'd be more about keeping him around for our young pitchers, namely Matthew Liberatore and Dakota Hudson.

It's gonna happen. There just hammering out the details and I full expect it to be at the $9-10 Million.

I'm just happy that Shildt is finally not just caving to Yadi and they're actually realizing you cant just throw him out there for every game of the week and expect any real value. He's just at that point in his career now where his bat is average at best and his defensive consistency slips the more and more he plays continuously in a row. Yadi is still one for the most cerebral players I've ever seen (just evidenced by the other night where Yelich dropped down that bunt - Yadi saw it coming before it happened; he was screaming at Sosa the pitches prior to move in), but he needs the 1-2 days off a week now.

Knizner has been getting much more consistent games here over the last 3-5weeks and I continue to like what I see. Hopefully, they'll continue this approach next year. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

We all knew it was coming….Yadi signed a 1 yr/$10 million dollar deal today. Likely gonna retire a Cardinal! 

Waino is likely next, as soon as he gets the OK from the wife, and I’d expect Pujols to be signed basically the minute he is able to

Lets all hope that’s just setting the table for a SS and reliable SP

• Like 1