Vic Fangio

Hitman52

I'm not sure what y'all's opinion on Sports mockery is but this article just came out referring to Vic disinterested in the Bears in the future. So all of us that were hoping maybe John Fox gets fired and him becoming interm coach or for him to possibly sticking around as defensive coordinator is not looking too good.

http://sportsmockery.com/2017/11/the-fate-of-vic-fangio-in-chicago-just-became-crystal-clear/

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

Which is fine, honestly... I want a young, up-and-coming head coach to take over. I'm still pimping Josh McDaniels.

So you wouldn't want Vic to stick around for a little continuity with the D? When they are healthy they are decent. 

2 minutes ago, Hitman52 said:

So you wouldn't want Vic to stick around for a little continuity with the D? When they are healthy they are decent. 

I would, in a perfect world. But this is the Bears, man... if he managed to stick around one way or another he would turn into one of the worst DCs in football.

2 minutes ago, Hitman52 said:

Ideally it'd be nice to have that continuity on defense.

Though the only way I see Fangio sticking around as DC is if Jim Harbaugh is hired as HC, which is a longshot.

Who cares if Vic stays. He is a good coach but he not wade Phillips or DickLebeau  The bears can find a 3-4 defensive coach no problem and probably one that blitzes more. 

In addition I am not limiting my head coaching options by forcing a defensive coordinator on him. 

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Ideally it'd be nice to have that continuity on defense.

Though the only way I see Fangio sticking around as DC is if Jim Harbaugh is hired as HC, which is a longshot.

I think this would be the ideal scenario but I agree long shot for sure.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Someone would have to tell him that he can run the defense carte blanche and that the head coach won't bother or interfere at all. I think Fangio has gotten annoyed with Fox's meddling.

It would be interesting to see if he got the rest of the season without Fox and see how much he really was meddling.

1 hour ago, Rogerthat said:

Who cares if Vic stays. He is a good coach but he not wade Phillips or DickLebeau  The bears can find a 3-4 defensive coach no problem and probably one that blitzes more. 

In addition I am not limiting my head coaching options by forcing a defensive coordinator on him. 

Solid point on the not limiting your options. The main reason I think it would be good for him to stay is that the guys on D respect him already. It's not always a sure thing. 

Also who knows what his blitz percentage would be if he had sole control over play calling.

But you are right is that juice of keeping him worth the squeeze, probably not.

However, according to several sources close to the situation, Fangio being named an interim head coach won’t happen. The reason that won't happen, we’re hearing, is that the Bears front office already has a list of names to interview as potential head coach candidates going forward and Fangio's name isn’t on it.

The Bears are such a mess. Everyone wants off of the sinking ship. Fangio leaving is actually a good think, I think, as now the team can start with a clean slate for HC options; a coordinator will not be forced on candidates. 

Would Donatell be a good replacement? Presumably his retainment would provide some continuity, and his units have exceeded expectations. 

19 minutes ago, yomyyo said:

The Bears are such a mess. Everyone wants off of the sinking ship. Fangio leaving is actually a good think, I think, as now the team can start with a clean slate for HC options; a coordinator will not be forced on candidates. 

Would Donatell be a good replacement? Presumably his retainment would provide some continuity, and his units have exceeded expectations. 

Donatell absolutely would be a move I would consider for the sake of continuity. He's coordinated some good defenses in his career.

Archived